Home Cigar 101

Time from humidor to smoking

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Do you guys just take a stick right out of your humidor and light it up or do you let it sit out for a while (hour +/-) before lighting.

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its hot and humid about 15-20 min sitting out. I forgot who told me that but for me it works well. I think a lot of guys and gals on here will tell you its going to depend on temp, weather conditions (don't leave it out in the rain... JK) and RH in your Humi... all I know nothing about.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I have really fallen in love with dry boxing. I choose a smoke in the morning, put it in the box for the night.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I have really fallen in love with dry boxing. I choose a smoke in the morning, put it in the box for the night.

so I have a spare old 20 ct. humidor..... do I just use that ? Unseasoned?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the smoke, where I'm gonna smoke it and what the weather is outside.
    If it is a cameroon, then I put it where I will be smoking for about 15-30 minutes.
    If it's a maduro, I may take it right out that humi and light it up.
    If it's pouring down rain, which is most the time, I will usually keep the cigar where I will be smoking for a bit. It seems to help prevent the wrapper from blowing apart.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I smoke a lot with my buddy across post, so most of the time i put them in my 5 ct herf-a-dor and they sit in there for about 15 minutes while im driving. That seems to work pretty well, and we dont smoke when its raining because we dont have anywhere to smoke with overhead cover.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    catfishbluezz:

Yup...I use a coffin. The only time I would disagree is pulling from a wineador...smokes are perfect coming from the controlled environment
    0patience:
    Depends on the smoke, where I'm gonna smoke it and what the weather is outside.
    If it is a cameroon, then I put it where I will be smoking for about 15-30 minutes.
    If it's a maduro, I may take it right out that humi and light it up.
    If it's pouring down rain, which is most the time, I will usually keep the cigar where I will be smoking for a bit. It seems to help prevent the wrapper from blowing apart.

I am in a very dry area (humidity outside is in the single digits). Does that change how long I leave it out ?
    catfishbluezz:
    jadelt:
    catfishbluezz:

Yup...I use a coffin. The only time I would disagree is pulling from a wineador...smokes are perfect coming from the controlled environment

A Coffin ! How cool of a coolidor would that be ! A great big wooden box !! Good seal too ! (jk I understand but sounded cool....... I understand Costco sells coffins now)
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Vision:
    If its hot and humid about 15-20 min sitting out. I forgot who told me that but for me it works well. I think a lot of guys and gals on here will tell you its going to depend on temp, weather conditions (don't leave it out in the rain... JK) and RH in your Humi... all I know nothing about.
    Pretty much this exactly if the waether is any sort of extreme (Hot and Dry in th summer or cold and rainy in the winter). If the weather is fine, I don't evern worry about it and I go from humidor to fire in as long as it takes to walk outside.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I take mine strait from the humi to the lighter. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had any issues with wrappers blowing apart and our weather is all over the place (temperature and humidity wise).
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Do you guys just take a stick right out of your humidor and light it up or do you let it sit out for a while (hour +/-) before lighting.
    This is the fun part of the hobby. Every time you take a stick out, do it differently and see what the results are.

Personally, I just take it out and smoke it. Sometimes right away sometimes later, no reason behind it, just how life works out.

Remember, this hobby is about relaxing and every one does it differently. Don't put too much brain power into it, you'll figure it out pretty much w/o even trying.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    I take mine strait from the humi to the lighter. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had any issues with wrappers blowing apart and our weather is all over the place (temperature and humidity wise).
    Me too. I'm far more likely to get a stick that goes out too easily in humidity than one that blows up on me, but even that is rare and it's so damn humid outside that I kinda expect it might happen and don't grab anything I care about too much.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I've been a fan of dry-boxing certain cigars. If I get a box of cigars that for whatever reason seem to have a bad burn, or just plain go out on me, I will start dry-boxing anywhere from a day to several days before I smoke them. I use an un-seasoned 20ct humi or a coffin. Many of my ISOM sticks just seem to smoke better if they's had some time out of the humi before lighting up.....or maybe it's just what I'm used to doing.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    Yep what he said.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah... there may be all kinds of conditions that effect it and having it sit out may or not fix it.
    frankly, i dont give a damn about any of them. 90% of the time its out of the humidor and within 10 minutes it has fire applied. the other 10% it is in my travel humi for a while. i dry box nothing. ever.