Home Cigar 101

Seasoning with boveda packets

Lift603Lift603 Posts: 253
I plan on seasoning my new 50ct humidor with boveda packets. I am just curious if anyone has any experience with seasoning this way and how many packets I should use for a 50 ct. Ive read 1 and then I also read 2 so just wondering what you guys suggest.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've seasoned a couple 50 cts with them before, it took a long time. One time I used a single pack, the other I used two. Using two makes the process go a bit faster. Basically throw it in there with a calibrated hygro, and in 7-10 days you're good to go.

Just keep an eye on the rh. Mine got to about 73-74 at the highest point, but there's a lot of variables to account for, and on the off chance it gets really high, you might want to put the brakes on it (like any seasoning method though). I wouldn't worry about it though, just watch it.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd just put a long and wide dish with distilled water in it and watch the hygro. Then buy either the 65 or 69 bovedas to maintain. On a fifty count I would buy 4 packs 2 to put in and 2 on stand by so you can recharge them IMO
    Money can't buy taste
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I Did my 100 ct with 2 84's and it took about 5 days. I also did a 50 ct glass with 84's and it only took about 3 days.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Ive done a 100ct and a 50ct with 84's and it worked out fine. The 100ct took about 5 days and the 50 only took about 3.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Im a bit old school. When I did have wood humi's I would gently wipe the wood, next I would take a spounge with no scub side, soak it in distilled water, place it on some plastic at the bottom of the humi and leave the lid closed. While the humi was seasoning I would salt test my digi hygrometers. Salt test can be done over night. Once the test was done and I knew what the +/- was I would but the digi's in the humi and leave the lid closed till the box was ready.
  • Lift603Lift603 Posts: 253
    For anyone that is interested in seasoning with boveda packets it took me 10 days to season my 50 ct humidor and with 2 72 boveda packets it is now holding rh perfect. I have no complaints and would recommend boveda seasoning to anyone who isn't in a rush.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Lift603:
    For anyone that is interested in seasoning with boveda packets it took me 10 days to season my 50 ct humidor and with 2 72 boveda packets it is now holding rh perfect. I have no complaints and would recommend boveda seasoning to anyone who isn't in a rush.
    ////Just to add: No one should EVER rush seasoning a humidor.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I LOVE Boveda Packs . Would never use anything else . Maybe a little more expensive in the long run but the frustration saved and ease of operation more than compensate . My .02 cents worth !
  • I just got a new humidor (25ct) and some cigars (RPs and CAOs... my favorites) delivered to me back home. Since I am in Afghaniland I decided to order the humipacks so my girlfriend does not have to worry about seasoning and maintaining while I'm away. I only ordered the 69% packets so as far as seasoning I told her to put 1 packet in and let it sit for the next 14 days while she is on vacation. We shall see how this method plays out... expect an update in a few weeks.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Active or passive seasoning seems to always be something that we agree or disagree ....it's what we find with our experience that we go with. I've done all of them and KL is probably the fastest and easiest way to go. I've seasoned my wood humidors with wiping them down with DW...I've put a cup with DW and done it that way...I've used boveda paks..pillows, gels and KL is probably so easy it's scary. Put your cigars in your humidor of whatever size you have...( in your case 50 ct. ) and for this size I'd just put in about 1/2 cut of KL and don't put any DW water on it until you know what the inside of your humidor is RH wise. Usually it will be around 60%...once you know what it is then spritz DW over the litter ( about 3-4 spritzes ) and then check in about 4-6 hours...and you'll see it rise. If it's around 65% then you know you're good..if you want it higher then spritz about 1 or 2 times and then you're done for a few weeks to months.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    N0tAChanc34U:
    I just got a new humidor (25ct) and some cigars (RPs and CAOs... my favorites) delivered to me back home. Since I am in Afghaniland I decided to order the humipacks so my girlfriend does not have to worry about seasoning and maintaining while I'm away. I only ordered the 69% packets so as far as seasoning I told her to put 1 packet in and let it sit for the next 14 days while she is on vacation. We shall see how this method plays out... expect an update in a few weeks.
    uuummmm you might want to use bovedas actual seasoning packs...just my .02
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynn:
    N0tAChanc34U:
    I just got a new humidor (25ct) and some cigars (RPs and CAOs... my favorites) delivered to me back home. Since I am in Afghaniland I decided to order the humipacks so my girlfriend does not have to worry about seasoning and maintaining while I'm away. I only ordered the 69% packets so as far as seasoning I told her to put 1 packet in and let it sit for the next 14 days while she is on vacation. We shall see how this method plays out... expect an update in a few weeks.
    uuummmm you might want to use bovedas actual seasoning packs...just my .02
    I know I wanted to try the seasoning packets. Would using the regular 69 packets make that much of a difference? Probably just take longer than normal but I'm in no rush. Guess we'll find out with this little test.