Home Cigar 101

duds

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here in Dull-Aware, we get some mighty studgy summer days. Gets hot and thick, then thunderstorms break out. Seems like when the air is damp like that my smokes want to die about halfway through. I'm wondering if that's because of the damp? I keep them at 68% in the humidor. Here today, for instance, humidibidititty is 89% outside in the garage. Yanked out a Morro Castle. Burnt perfectly halfway down. Then dud. Lit it again. Lasted ten minutes, then dud.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had a few small issues with a cigar last night. I live in the desert. Typical humidity is somewhere between 0 and 20 percent. However, it is monsoon season and has been much higher humidity, even a little rain here and there. I also wonder if the weather had anything to do with it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing seems to happen to me when its real humid out. They either go out cause they're too damp , or you smoke it hot to keep it lit and it turns into mush...then goes out.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Here in Dull-Aware, we get some mighty studgy summer days. Gets hot and thick, then thunderstorms break out. Seems like when the air is damp like that my smokes want to die about halfway through. I'm wondering if that's because of the damp? I keep them at 68% in the humidor. Here today, for instance, humidibidititty is 89% outside in the garage. Yanked out a Morro Castle. Burnt perfectly halfway down. Then dud. Lit it again. Lasted ten minutes, then dud.

yes this is because of the damp air. more the difference in the air humidity and the humidity of the cigar.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. So you're saying you live in an area where it isn't 89% most the time?
    I'm definitely living in the wrong place.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    webmost:

yes this is because of the damp air. more the difference in the air humidity and the humidity of the cigar.
    Anything I can do about it? If I leave the cigar out a couple hours before lighting, will that help?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've had that same problem. What really sucks is when the stick swells up and busts had that happen twice. Now if it's real bad humid I don't bother. Perfect night tonight though:)
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    lately,, H upmann
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday, humidibidititty dropped to 58%. I fired up an Xclusivo on the garage. No burn issues whatever. This morning, it's back to 89%. No doubt because it's 70 temp. Soon as it climbs into the 80s, humidibidititty will drop. But the thing is, see, 70 is so much more pleasant. I'd like to be able enjoy my smoke while rain is refreshing the air or just after. The garage is a wonderful place with cool misty air blowing in from a squall. Makes for good thinking and fun puttering.

Now, I am sure that your average Carribbean guys have some way to enjoy their cigars on the verandah in tropical conditions. What's their secret, you think?

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd think either leaving the stick in the place you'll smoke it for a couple hours or getting a dehumidifier for the garage...not sure though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I'd think either leaving the stick in the place you'll smoke it for a couple hours or getting a dehumidifier for the garage...not sure though.
    either of those really. slowing down doesnt hurt either.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    When it is really humid, I am unable to taste my cigar. I puff but just can't get any taste is my mouth. I smoked a CAO Brazilia but it was like puffing air. Fall is a great time to smoke!