Home Pipes

Just smoked my first bowl of Penzance; reflections on a hard to find tobacco

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
For those that don't know, Penzance (and Stonehaven), both made by Esoterica, is a hot tobacco - very popular, immense hype, and completely unattainable for those who shop on the internet - the stuff is a ghost, constantly sold out at every online place. Why is it impossible to find? Because of great reviews and a ton of hype - people who find it typically buy up all they can; the old-timers to stock up to cellar/age it (and to ensure a steady supply when they want it), the newbies so they can try it out and keep some in reserve if they like it. Any website that dares to list it is typically sold out within hours; that said, the stuff is actually rather plentiful if you know where to look (for how to get some, read on at the end).

First bowl was really nice - I picked up some delicious latakia, and the smoke throughout, all the way to the bottom of the bowl was a joy to sit and relax with. If the smoke was solid, I'd say it was a gourmet meal; delicious, heavy, and something to be savored with every bite/sip, just really nice all the way through. Also something that's probably better off smoked/enjoyed every now and then, not something to smoke everyday.

Beyond that, I can't tell you exactly what else I picked up; my taste just isn't that refined, but I can say that I retrohaled just about every sip during the hour or so I was smoking it and had zero nose burn; this stuff is quite smooth, delicious and definitely on my list of favorites.

All in all, I'd say Penzance is like a GOF or a Cuban - something that you should definitely try if you get the chance, but not go out of your way for or spend a lot on. It's good, really good - but there are SOOO many great tobacco's out there, you're not missing much if you can't get your hands on any (honestly, if I hadn't know it was Penzance, I would've enjoyed it, but I can't say for sure I would've enjoyed it as much as I did. Probably a bit of placebo effect in there). In the same way that you're there are tons of great cigars out there, that you're not missing out on much if you only smoke nicaraguans or honduran cigars vs cubans or Behikes.

As for how I found some:

xmacro:
J.S.:
xmacro:
Currently loving McClelland Grand Oriental Classic Samsun; very smooth and subtle, something I can retrohale all day with no burn

For aro's Capt. Black white is my standby

Course all this may change when I get my order of Penzance and Stonehaven in Big Smile [:D]
Where did you find Penzance and Stonehaven? I have been looking for them for a long time.
Google, my friend, google and some time. Smile [:)]

I googled for B&M's around the country that carry pipe tobacco, cold called them and asked if they had any in Penzance or Stonehaven stock and if they'd ship to another State. I finally found some in California; the price was $53 for each in 8oz bags and I almost choked before hanging up. Then I got to thinking about how loony Calif can be with prices, so I called them back up and asked if that was the same price for shipping out of State to Florida - turns out if its going out of State, the price falls to $32 per 8oz bag, so I told them to pack it up and ship it out. Big Smile [:D]

Penzance and Stonehaven may not exist on the internet (I've looked; gone through 16 pages of google searches and nada), but it's plentiful enough if you call around to various B&M's.

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Good review there dude.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Good review there dude.
    oh yea? you really think so. GET
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Nice review. I really do like the lat. blends and if it has some other elements in there it sounds like something that I really do want to try. I think it will be worth the time and effort to run it down. Thanks for the review. It is always good to read one from a follow cigar smoker and not just a piper.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to open my tin and have at it. Now if I could just find some Stonehaven. Might start the hunt at the end of the month.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I see Penzance is in stock somewhere.... don't have the money for it more or less would take forever for me to smoke 8 oz of it lol
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    It was in stock, it is gone now. The limit was 1, but 1 is better then none! This has been in my must try list.