Home Cigar 101

Wrapper and smoke time

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
I've noticed that, when i smoke something with a conneticut wrapper that i only get about 45 minutes to an hour out of a smoke whereas when i smoke something like a maduro that i get an hour minimum, usually more like 90 minutes. Is this normal? Not so much the specific times but rather a milder smoke taking less time than a more full-bodied? Or is this just me wanting more flavor and needing to take larger draws on a mild smoke to get what i am looking for?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with you on your answer. I bet you just feel like you need to draw more on a mild smoke to get the same amount of flavor. I'm pretty sure I do the same thing.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Maduros have more oils in them hence slowing down the burn time. That's why maduros can look shiny while Connies don't.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I don't know man...to me that's part of the construction. Ie smoked conny's that never end and Maduro's that smoke fast. I'm having an lhcof right now that will go 1.5 hours, the last one lasted 45 min.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke a mild maduro and it will be quicker. when you smoke a mild cigar many people tend to smoke faster because each puff isnt as "satisfying"
    there is not the mouth feel, the full on flavor, or the nicotine.
    all of those things promote trying to get more smoke by smoking faster.

its not the wrapper, its the body and what you are looking for from it.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Agreed on smoking the mild cigars faster to try to get more flavor. I'm no expert, but the wrapper is such a small percentage of the cigar as a whole I don't think the burn qualities of that one leaf will have a major impact on burn time vs other factors such as ring gauge and density.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Agreed on smoking the mild cigars faster to try to get more flavor. I'm no expert, but the wrapper is such a small percentage of the cigar as a whole I don't think the burn qualities of that one leaf will have a major impact on burn time vs other factors such as ring gauge and density.
    they do have a major impact on the overall smoke as it relates to the the quality of the burn, just not the time of the smoke
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It is not only about the strength- mild, medium and full. It is also about how an individual smoke and enjoy the complexity of a cigar. Someone may enjoy a bold, full bodied cigar quicker than a mild cigar or vice versa. If someone enjoy aged, complex cigar and enjoy the layers and layers of flavor and aroma then there is no way to smoke a cigar quickly. When we smoke cigar quickly it also become hot and affects the taste of a cigar. I have seen no matter what some people simply smoke quickly. It is their habit.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    It is not only about the strength- mild, medium and full. It is also about how an individual smoke and enjoy the complexity of a cigar. Someone may enjoy a bold, full bodied cigar quicker than a mild cigar or vice versa. If someone enjoy aged, complex cigar and enjoy the layers and layers of flavor and aroma then there is no way to smoke a cigar quickly. When we smoke cigar quickly it also become hot and affects the taste of a cigar. I have seen no matter what some people simply smoke quickly. It is their habit.
    +1 if your enjoying the subtleties of a stick your gonna burn it slow and get the most out of it. I enjoy all sorts of strengths in cigars and feel its really up to the blender on how fast you smoke it lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Yes, this I find to be true. I have yet to smoke a robusto under a hour. Now some cigars burn fast and it will push it to that limit. Yet, I have seen people smoke them in thirty minutes, wow.

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Smoking too fast is the same as ordering a nice steak well done.