Home Pipes

Aging issues

J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
OK, I have just been smoking pipes for almost 2 yrs. now. I really love it so I bought enough of one of my current favorites (P.S. Proper English) to smoke and some to age. After smoking what I had set aside in jars I opened one that I have vacuum sealed and it was not good at all. What was not sealed was rich, smokey, sweet with a good balance between the VA, orientals, and the Lat. It would not bite even if pushed. The sealed jar which is now just 7 months old is flat, one dimensional, not sweet, a little sour/bitter in the background and will bite like a mad dog.

I did seal properly without using direct heat and the temp used was below 140. Another blend that I sealed at the same time seems fine. So any ideas why this blend would change so much and for the worse? I have heard that not all blends age well but I never thought that this being an English with only 7 months on it would change so much and for the worst. Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it'**** the "dead zone" or whatever it is that people say the Jonny O'**** after some time?
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I read in another forum that vacuum sealing the tobacco removes oils and moisture that would normally allow the tobacco to age and blend together. I have a jar of cherry infused tobacco I bought just over 5 years ago. never sealed it up, just kept the lid on... didnt even bother to throw in a hydration source. popped it open 2 weeks ago to start smoking it again (its been in my garage)... much less of that sharp cherry bite, but smoked like a dream. moist enough to still feel fresh, but dry enough to burn so well it didnt need even the tiniest relight for the whole hour I smoked my pipe.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yeah, I have been reading too. I think this might be the case. I don't think I will vacuum anything at least for right now. Some else said that just using the mason jars which is what I have is all that you need. The lid will seal on its own. I don't know. It is worth a shot and since I like Proper English right out of the bag there's no reason to mess with it. I am glad I have only lost about 4 oz. of it and maybe 12 oz. total for all blends but that remains to be seen. Thanks for your experience. Being new to this I know I will have a few screw ups along the way.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Maybe it's not lost. Perhaps it just needs to air out a bit.
    That's a good point. I will try that. I think I need to take a couple of days off and let the tongue rest. LOL

I will let you know when I come back to it.
    Good idea. I remember reading that aged tobacco needs a bit of time to air out when opened, hopefully that's all there is to it. Good luck. I can't wait to see the fruits of my aging jar...I have 8 oz of FVF that is strictly for aging, going to try putting 2 or 3 years on it. Quite interested to see how that works out, by all accounts fvf ages nicely.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    FVF?
    Hayblet:
    FVF?
    Full Virginia Flake from Samuel Gawith.
    Yeah, FVF should be a good one VA's are. I have that on my wish list but so far every time I need to place an order it is out of stock. Good luck with it!
    Pm J.S.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I would dump the jar out onto a clean surface and mix it all up and let it sit for like 20 or 30 minutes in the open air. put it back into the jar and just seal it up and let the tobacco settle.

if the tobacco has no aroma or moisture to it... you could always try to infuse it with some nice whiskey or rum or something. no sense in wasting it.
    j0z3r:
    Pm J.S.

Replied.
    Krieger:
    I would dump the jar out onto a clean surface and mix it all up and let it sit for like 20 or 30 minutes in the open air. put it back into the jar and just seal it up and let the tobacco settle.

if the tobacco has no aroma or moisture to it... you could always try to infuse it with some nice whiskey or rum or something. no sense in wasting it.

That is basically what I have done. took it all out, spread it around on wax paper and let it sit. It has a good moisture content to it and it smells like tobacco but not what P.S. smells like; it has changed. Your suggestion to add some whiskey to it is a good one. I think I will try it, if I can keep it from biting as hard as it does right now.