Home Cigar 101

What causes this?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Was smoking a 5 Vegas "A" and this happened at about half way and continued to get worse. What causes this ?

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like hot air under the wrapper. OR you were smoking it on the surface of the sun.... but probably not...

Ive had one loose wrapper do that on me.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Was smoking a 5 Vegas "A" and this happened at about half way and continued to get worse. What causes this ?

What was the RH% of the humi you took it out of and what was the RH% where you were smoking it? I've had that happen when I was smoking a cigar I took out of a humi with 62% RH and tried smoking it on my patio in a rainstorm with very high humidity. It just absorbed moisture from the air and exploded. This might be what happened to you.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    my first perception was that the stick/wrapper was too dry,, the wrapper became brittle and cracked,,,hard to tell from just the pic,
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've had a few 5V series A's that had similar almost issues. I think its the wrapper being uber-paper-thin to begin with, and high ambient humidity causing the wrapper to split when you start smoking it. I can't remember the wrapper type on the 5V A but it reminds me of the Brazilian Maduro, and I have that issue fairly commonly while smoking brazilian Maduro wrappers. That baccy is super super thin, albeit delicious in my opinion.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    very high humidity where you are smoking may cause it. this gets worse if you smoke fast.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    very high humidity where you are smoking may cause it. this gets worse if you smoke fast.
    Humidor is a solid 65% (beads are great). Outdoor is about 11% humidity. Same temp inside and out (about 75)

Yes the wrapper seems thinner than tissue paper. Maybe just the stick? but I have seen this once or twice in the last year with different sticks.

EDIT: It was about an hour and 20 min into the smoke when I took the pic so I dont think I was smoking too fast. Not sure. The burn was actually very good until this happened. Even after it was fine.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, but again... What can you do to prevent one of these duds? It's just such a great way to relax when the rain finally hits and blows away oppressive heat. I like to go in the garage, open both doors, and fire one up. Ozone and smoke are a great combo. I know there must be a way. Grandpa lived in the tropics and smoked on the verandah. It rained every day. How'd he do it?

Would it help, for instance, if I kept a separate box of cigars in the garage at ambient humidibimidibititty to smoke at such times?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

what size was it ?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    kuzi16:
    Humidor is a solid 65% (beads are great). Outdoor is about 11% humidity. Same temp inside and out (about 75)

Yes the wrapper seems thinner than tissue paper. Maybe just the stick? but I have seen this once or twice in the last year with different sticks.

EDIT: It was about an hour and 20 min into the smoke when I took the pic so I dont think I was smoking too fast. Not sure. The burn was actually very good until this happened. Even after it was fine.
    I've had this problem with a few sticks too....
    For me - the only similarity I've noticed between all of the "problem" sticks is that the wrappers seemed pretty thin.

So if they're not all the same brand or from the same batch --- I'd have to imagine that a thinner wrapper, along with the RH difference are the causes of the problem.
    I've never been able to find a "solution" to this problem though since the problem sticks seem to happen at random.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jgibv:
    jadelt:
    kuzi16:

I've had this problem with a few sticks too....
    For me - the only similarity I've noticed between all of the "problem" sticks is that the wrappers seemed pretty thin.

So if they're not all the same brand or from the same batch --- I'd have to imagine that a thinner wrapper, along with the RH difference are the causes of the problem.
    I've never been able to find a "solution" to this problem though since the problem sticks seem to happen at random.
    +1 Leaves being agricultural products are not standardized. I have come across this several times and I think it is too thin of leaf being used for the wrapper. As individual as each leaf is, that is why you may find one or two of these in a box of otherwise perfect cigars. They are natural, it is random, I think a guy just has to live with it. Those pictures don't look like a swollen cigar is the culprit this time. IMO
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    what size was it ?
    6 x 50
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It can also happen for poor construction along with high humidity. You will find this problem with many Ghurka cigars.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    jadelt:

Karma.
    jadelt:
    kuzi16:
    what size was it ?
    6 x 50
    i got nothing beyond a defect. it may be natural in the leaf or it may in the roll. everything else seems "right" to me.

*** happens.
    light another one.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It happens because you touch yourself...
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    It happens because you touch yourself...
    hahah volcano eruption!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pants have done that
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    My pants have done that

Hmmmmm?!??!? I have heard of cigars exploding..... but not in someones pants........Sounds like it was a Corona...... =P
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:

I picked up 10 of these on the Daily Deal a few weeks back, one of them did just about like this. Last night, another one looked like it was going down the same path. This time, instead of trying touch-ups with the lighter, or smoothing it down with saliva (which made the other much worse), I set it down, and slowed down considerably. Let the ash build until it fell off, and as it burned down, it corrected itself. Smoked quite nicely, really.
    So, I'm not sure if I've found the cure, but it worked that time. We'll see.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain