Home Pipes

Mississippi River

rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
So last night was supposed to be a Hearth & Home night for me... A bowl or two of Berry Nice followed by Larry's Blend as a nightcap before bed. At the last minute, I decided to switch out the Larry's Blend for SPC's Mississippi River. This was the first time I had it and heard good things about it, but wasn't quite sure. Aside from Latakia I couldn't really pick up much from the scent, possibly because it was in a rather compressed "clump" Not only was this a FANTASTIC smoke, but it seemed to go on forever! Perhaps because it's so dense and compressed? I rubbed it out pretty good, but WOW! 2 hours later and I was just approaching the bottom of the bowl! Granted it was also a billard style pipe with a larger bowl on it, but still! I had no idea I was in for that long of a haul! Needless to say, I was quite happy snuggling up in bed! It made for quite a night! So has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal for this blend to smoke so slow and long? I was puffing out some enormous clouds of smoke. (and it didn't heat up even a little the entire time, in fact, it was the coolest smoke I've had yet...) So is that normal? Or did the planets just happen to align perfectly for me last night?

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Some blends smoke longer then others. The style (this is a crumble cake) really does not make it smoke longer but the way the ingredients are added does; perique seems to slow the smoke down (at least for me). If you like this blend now buy another tin and let it sit for a year. Major changes for the better in think! The tobaccos merry more and it becomes smoother still. Happy smoking!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Sounds interesting. Will have to pick up some
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Hearth and home is one we plan to carry but in the mean time check out the july special they are running on their tins. Awesome deal which I hate to say but I stocked up on a few of there lines.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Hearth and home is one we plan to carry but in the mean time check out the july special they are running on their tins. Awesome deal which I hate to say but I stocked up on a few of there lines.

I think Russ O. is one of the top blenders. Arguably in the top 3 in the US, I think. Some of the blends he puts together are great and the price point is outstanding.