Home Cigar 101

Basement Storage

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I plan to set-up a cooledor in our canning room in the basement. There are no windows and temps will be around 50 degrees. Will this temp be ok? Thanks

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That temp. should be fine, a little on the cool side but cool is not harmful. The problem I had when I tried keeping my cigars in the basement was the humidity was much too high. Keep an eye on that and make sure it stays within control and you should be fine.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I moved all of my stuff down into the basement about 2 years ago. My temps stay on the lower end (65 to 70) and humidity is just right. Got beetles when the seasons were changing and my humidors upstairs hit the upper 80's when we had te windows open. Used to move them with the seasons but the basement is fine for me year round.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I keep my cabinet humidor in the basement. In the summer i put it in my AC room, where it is rock solid at 67 - 68 degrees and solid 68% humidity.....in the winter i move it out in my basement because the AC room is too warm. In the winter out in the basement it is 68 degrees and still 68% humidity. Are you close to the twin cities?
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I live near St. Cloud
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I keep 2 wood humis and my tupperdor (box storage) in my basement. Sits around 65-70F year round, but I do have to run a dehumidifier constantly in the summer to keep it under 50RH down there. Makes maintaining my humis at 65RH much easier. I have no issues, even considering our house is 50 some years old and the basement is a bit on the unkempt side. You should be fine, though 50 is a tiny bit low. Don't know what effects that could have, nothing catastrophic though.

Keep in mind if the humidity is higher than your humidor desired RH, you may be battling RH in the opposite direction you are used to. i.e. - you may need to be using beads to lower RH instead of raising it as most people have to do. Just something to keep in mind.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I also keep my Humis in the basement. Run a de-humidifier in the summer and the temp is perfect.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    I also keep my Humis in the basement. Run a de-humidifier in the summer and the temp is perfect.
    +1
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your basements ever flood you guys are going to be in sorrowful shape. Our peanut state of Dull-Aware is basically half a sandbar (the other half belongs to Merryland). Average water table is about 18" down. I was a high school football official for sixteen years. A brother official had a basement waterproofing business. Every time it drizzled, he got busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger with the hives. Have a bro in law who imports fine French wines. Has a big warehouse in Souderton PA. But also keeps a plentiful supply (drunkenness is a occupational hazard, dontcha know) in his basement. City sewers back up one day. Lost a fortune.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Its either that, or worry about it being upstairs and reaching 80 to 85 degrees in the summer daytime. I keep all of my humis on a shelf in the basement, so basically my basement would have to flood, to the point of the water level being 8 feet high and coming up thru my floorboards into the upstairs. Now I know water can rise fast, but i keep on eye on it more than once daily, and have a sump pump always plugged in to pump out any water that happens to get in