Home Cigar 101

Cigar Punch

interpiminterpim Posts: 146
So, does anyone use a punch to cut their cigars? I'm talking about the one that cuts a circular piece out of the cap.
If you don't, why not? is there a reason you use different types of punches or cutters?

-Robert

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I use a punch from time-to-time. My lighter has one built-in so it's especially handy if I forget my cutter and easier to take just the 1 lighter/punch accessory than having to take a lighter and a cutter.
    But with that being said, I still prefer my cutter because I think it makes a "cleaner" cut than the punch does and I also think that cutting gives a better draw than punching does.
    But I'm sure there's others who would say they've had the opposite experience.

I think it boils down to personal preference, neither one is "wrong" and one is not necessarily better than the other...
    unless you're smoking a torpedo, then you'll want a cutter - I still haven't figured out how to punch those.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a punch on chisels and on cigars with a lose draw mostly perdomos. But I like the straight cut the best
    Money can't buy taste
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually fluctuate between my scissors and my punch. Usually what I'll do is punch first and test the draw, the smoke output and what flavors I am pulling out of it. Sometimes, with a punch, I'll get a lot of tar build up so then I will use the scissors and cut it. I always figure if I punch first, I can always use the scissors afterwards, however, if you use the scissors first then there is no way you can punch.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I usually use a punch, occasionally ill use a cutter but that is usually for torpedos and other such pointy sticks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i used to use a punch on all cigar save for torpedoes. it was on my keychain so it was easy. now i cut all with my Xi2. i find the smoke to coat the mouth a bit more. i also feel that overall i have less draw issues.
    the folks here at ccom made a video that touched on the concepts im talking about here once. the video was about ring gauge but the same concept is true to a degree on cutting and the size of the opening.

CLICK

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a punch on coronas or other small ring gages. And if a cigar feel loose. On bigger cigars especially maduros or other full bodied cigars I usually cut to prevent tar plugs.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a punch whenever possible. In a pinch, I've even used one on torpedoes although the end result is somewhat less than wonderful. My reason for using a punch is that, with a cutter, I'm constantly having to spit out small bits of tobacco. The punch doesn't seem to cause these loose bits which are a source of annoyance to me. Ptui.....

• seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    I use a PUNCH on almost every smoke, I use my CUTTER for Torpedos only. if U use a PUNCH daily. it will get dull, what I do is I went to the HOME DEPOT, and purchased a round file put it in the PUNCH and lay it on the inner edge and pull towards U turn the PUNCH as U do this it will sharpen the round edge of the PUNCH, hope this helps
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gave three brother motorcyclists bullet punches for their keychains. Makes just the right accessory for a stogie burning rider. Used to hang one on my motorcycle key, but then I got into using my pocket knife.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    I'm new to this but I usually opt for my punch. In my mind you can always cut it after you punch it, but you can't do this in reverse.