Home Cigar 101

Plume, Bloom or Doom

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
I did my research before posting this picture. I know what I think but I think for new(er) guys to the hobby (myself included) may be able to learn from this. I know its not the best picture but here goes. Is it Plume/Bloom or Mold (DOOM). The foot has NO signs of being effected, just the wrapper.

Photobucket

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It certainly looks like plume. In my experience, mold is usually patchy and furry.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    i beereeve it is plume. that looks delicious
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought mold. I could be wrong. There are some sticks that are at that B&M COVERED in it.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I want to say plume, but the extent of it makes me want to say mold. So, I'm going with plume
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    If you want to send it my way I'll test it for ya :)
    Mold is usually spotty like Joe said. It also doesn't seem to stand off the cigar at all. Also if you had mold that bad you can bet your sweet ass it would be in the foot. Any idea the age on this bad boy?
    It is in a locked Humi/case. I would venture a guess a while. He has Liberty's going back to 08 that haven't left the case since 08 LOL. He has some aged stuff. I just think he has way to much with such a small clientele. Its attached to a tourist trap of a store. They sell Any and everything in the annex. Comic books, Dirty Mags (seriously), $5000.00 Chess sets, swords..... You see where I am going.... They have a place right in the middle of Salem MA (Witch Trials) so they are usually $2-10 more per stick. I did see some stick that didn't have mold but have literally fallen apart due to handling. RobGreen can vouch (for lack of a better term) for this stores inventory. Everything from $2 no namers up to $30 Opus and Partagas. If you're looking for OLD/AGE PM me and I will see.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hard to tell. At first glance, looks like plume, but it looks a little fuzzy at the top, like mold.
    Take your magnifying glass to the B&M and look at it in the magnifying glass. If it looks hairy, it's mold.
    If it looks crystally, it's plume.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That really looks like plume to me. Wow!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    THe first word that popped into my mind when I saw that picture was mold. Hope I'm wrong.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Really hard to tell. At first glance, looks like plume, but it looks a little fuzzy at the top, like mold.
    Take your magnifying glass to the B&M and look at it in the magnifying glass. If it looks hairy, it's mold.
    If it looks crystally, it's plume.
    This... Plume=crystal, mold will be growing off the smoke
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    It is in a locked Humi/case. I would venture a guess a while. He has Liberty's going back to 08 that haven't left the case since 08 LOL. He has some aged stuff. I just think he has way to much with such a small clientele. Its attached to a tourist trap of a store. They sell Any and everything in the annex. Comic books, Dirty Mags (seriously), $5000.00 Chess sets, swords..... You see where I am going.... They have a place right in the middle of Salem MA (Witch Trials) so they are usually $2-10 more per stick. I did see some stick that didn't have mold but have literally fallen apart due to handling. RobGreen can vouch (for lack of a better term) for this stores inventory. Everything from $2 no namers up to $30 Opus and Partagas. If you're looking for OLD/AGE PM me and I will see.
    From viewing the picture, my question is, What titles of Dirty Mags? lol. In all honesty, this may sound weird, but from looking at the picture (and it is probably the angle) but BELOW the band looks like plume, ABOVE the band looks like mold. Overall I would say plume.
    I will be looking for crystals ASAP.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is for sure blume/plume. mold is patchy. mold is 3D.

plume is a light crystalline haze that covers the entire cigar. it may look dusty but will have no real dimension to it.

plume is some of the essential oils from the cigar that have risen to the surface and crystallized. this takes time and is usually an indicator of uninterrupted age. (sometimes not though but that is a different story) it is not an indicator of how good it will be.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    plume mixed with about 3 years of dust. looks good.
    OK... I will go buy it tomorrrow. LOL
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Smoke dat shlt!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though I've never seen plume it doesn't look like mold at all( pretty ugly stuff) I'd say fire it up and tell us how it was.