Home Cigar 101

Just Getting Started

Hey guys,

I am new to the cigar world, but am very excited about starting my journey in this hobby. I have always been interested in cigars as some of the people in my family would smoke them on special occasions (however, no one in my family ever had a humidor or stored cigars). My brother-in-law is really into cigars and has been collecting and smoking for a while now, and I want to get into not only for me but also to have something to share with him. I have been reading up and getting acclimated with cigars and I want to start getting more serious. I know sites like this have "starter packs" with humidors, cutters, lighters, and sample packs of smokes, but since I know this will become a longtime hobby of mine I would rather choose my own humidor, lighter, cutter, etc. I know I should buy a bigger humidor than I think, I was thinking I should start with a 100 count. I have been scoping out the sprint sale for some things to get me started, but I wanted some other opinions are what will be good products that will last me awhile and be of good quality, but also be affordable (since I am only in college and have a limited budget). Any suggestions on some smokes to try as I am beginning would be greatly appreciated as well since I have only been exposed to a smoke here or there when I visit my brother-in-law.

Comments

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    welcome aboard cp. I would say that you should read up on a cooler, not because you need the space but it would be an easy way to store on the cheap while giving you enough space to grow into. Everyone has their own preference on cutters and lighters so you may have to try a couple before you find the right one. Stick around awhile and keep reading and soak up the knowledge. Enjoy.
  • cpulidocpulido Posts: 8
    yeah I definitely will stick around and be reading these forums in my free time. I originally was planning on getting tons of info and waiting until christmas until I purchase anything....but I think that December is too far away lol. BTW, I like the logo, I was at the giants game last week.
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    I started about a year ago with a Ccom robust sampler. They are pretty good smokes and the sampler gives you a variety of wrappers and strengths. It's a good, and very inexpensive, way to begin wading into the hobby. After I had smoked a few of the different type cigars, I went to the local B & M, told the guy there I was new to cigars, and asked for some recommendations. I purchased two things he told me he really liked and 2 that just looked cool. Now I go there about once or twice a month, have a full 50 count humi (I don't smoke that often, so that size works for me) and have started a cooler-dor to house boxes of some of my faves.

That said, look for cigar samplers that offer a variety of wrappers and even sizes and hit up the local cigar shops.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I can relate.
    I am about 1 year into cigars and started just like you. I also started with the CCom Robusto sampler and found it a good way to see the differences. One thing that I did and it helped me A LOT was to keep a little note book with me as I smoked and jotted down what I liked and disliked.

There are a lot of good lighters on the site but my personal recommendation for a lighter is a $3 Ronson Jetlite from Walmart. I have two that have worked great for me. Seriously! Might be hard to find but I found them in the aisle where they sell cigarettes.

I continue to buy 'sampler packs' so I can continue different ideas. I have yet to buy a box. I like the idea of trying new stuff. I have grown up and now buy 5 packs of things I like.

Welcome and enjoy.... ask a lot of questions. I did and everyone here is extremely helpful.

This is what I started with.....

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-2WASST4

At the time, the Brazilian was my favorite. My taste has has changed over the year but this was a great start for me.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!! I'm a Newb as we are called in these parts. It's fun to read the reviews here and pick other people's minds. It's a great site and Ccom has some amazing deals with fast shipping. I find that your palate will evolve which means you might want to revisit sticks you didn't care for in the beginning. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so you might have to learn patience. That's what I'm dealing with at this time. It's hard to rush a cigar and still get an objective opinion. Just a few thoughts. Enjoy!!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    I can relate.
    I am about 1 year into cigars ...

Dang. Seem to be a lot of yearlings checking in. I'm a yearling too.

I agree the cigar.com house blend robusto samplers are da bom. I got a mega sampler from them. That's three sampler of all eight varieties wrapped up in one good deal. I smoked all eight from one pack and found three I really like. I gave another eight pack away to someone else to try. I have one left. If you want it, PM me your address and I'll shoot it off to you.

I have two invaluable mentors: A cigar geek at our local cigar store has always steered me right. These kind of guys, you can tell them what kind of food appeals to you and what kind of drink, and they can conjure up something off the shelf that suits. And right here on topic 101, Kuzi gives you great tips on everything you want to know. Simple stuff like how to light, how to puff, how to calibrate a hygrometer, why cigars dud out on a damp day, how these things are made, and so forth. You have the added advantage of smoking with your brother in law. Things you get that you don't like you can gift to him, and he can respond with stuff from his box. That's a great resource.

Being a newb is a tremendous advantage when you are a on a budget. I find I get real solid enjoyment out of mild and cheap sticks which would probably bore a more experienced afficionado. Five years from now, I'd probably be bored by them too. Makes life good for now.

One more thing: Get yourself a cigar app for your smart phone. I use RateMyCigar, free at googleplay. Keeps notes on the ones you try. This rating process really helps you understand how to choose what to try next.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    100ct? ha!!
    ive posted this before and im sure ill post it again:

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

you WILL want more room
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    100ct? ha!!
    ive posted this before and im sure ill post it again:

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

you WILL want more room
    Take his advice. I started with a 25ct thinking I won't be smoking alot. I now have a 20, 50 and a 100ct. Wish I would have went big to start. I am now looking into a cooler.

Oh and I only been smoking for a year myself.
  • Lift603Lift603 Posts: 253
    Listen to these guys. I've been smoking for less than 3 months and I started with a 40ct. I thought that would be more than enough. I am currently seasoning my 50 ct and using a tubberware container. Go big!!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    +1 to everything these guys have said and check out "Kelly's deal" as well. She usually has great deals on very good sticks. Welcome and enjoy!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    +1 to everything these guys have said and check out "Kelly's deal" as well. She usually has great deals on very good sticks. Welcome and enjoy!
    Send her an e-mail and get added to her list...good way to go broke :)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums!! Personally on your delemna I would buy a nice 150cnt humi so it looks nice and stands out. That being said buy a cooler as well because cigars tend to pile up!! If I buy a five pack I'll smoke two sticks then buy another 5 pack. So I usually end up using my humis for a nicer look around the house my coolador for aging and my wineador for my expensive sticks. This is a hobby and a great one but it does become a obseccion!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for ligters and cutters, i went with xikar and have not been disappointed. Real quality stuff. Have no doubt that you could also use a chepo torch or any other lighter, but I've really enjoyed mine (xikar crossover)also, the cutters are great xi 1 or 2. I was very impressed after using other cheaper cutters at how well they work. Never had to use the warranty, but I hear its great too. Just my opinions! For a great cigar to start out with, I like 5 vegas (specifically the Miami and 'A' series) you almost can't go wrong with cigar.com though! Enjoy it, duuuude.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I used a simple (cheep) cutter for a while then I got a Xikar Xi2 cutter and I love it. Amazing difference.
    Thanks for all the great advice guys! Even in this short time I have realized that this hobby does really become an obsession. I find myself on these forums and websites and SprintSale more and more each day. SprintSale is really addicting and I haven't even started buying smokes yet! I'm waiting to get my humidor first, I think I am going to wait for a 100 ct or so pop up on SprintSale around $40; I've already gotten frustrated with losing good humidors only a dollar or two before I was going to buy. What is the "Kelly's Deal" thing you were talking about? Once again, thanks for all the advice, I look forward to more!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Definately look into a coool-a-dor, especially if you want to get it done cheap. You can buy a cooler for the same price as what you are looking to spend on a 100ct, but hold 3x that amount. I also have a 50ct, and a 20ct, but they are used more for aging than anything. Whatever you get you will fill quickly
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoulda thought of this before...

I scored a fine cedar 100 count humidor with inlaid tobacco leaf on the top at cheaphumidors.com for like 35 or 40 bucks from their scratch and dent section. It was neither scratched nor was it dented --- the only issue was that the two sided tape used to attach the hygrometer did not have any stickum on it. That's it. Other than that, it's a beautiful bit of furniture. So I glued the hygro mount on, big deal. If you are on a college student budget, that would be a place you should visit.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget a humi never holds what the say. I got a 300 count that when full holds about 180. Unless you like the smaller ring gages.
    Was able to snag a humidor off of the sprint sale for about $40 that "holds" 120. Next step is I gotta season it, I was thinking of wiping it down and then leaving the sponge in for 24 hours and then taking the sponge out until it hits the right humidity method. Is this better/the same as using the specified seasons packets that are sold on this site and amazon? I want the best and also most cost effective way to properly season my humidor.

Next step after that will be saving up my money to buy some smokes or wait until Christmas to ask my family! I have a feeling my Xmas list will be completely made up of smokes and smoking related things lol
    My humidor is still in the mail somewhere, but the sampler pack of cigars I ordered should be arriving today. This is my first cigar purchase ccom and I'm guessing they are shipped with some sort of humiliation pillow. I was wonder how long the sticks would keep with that because I will need about a week to season my humidor once it does arrive. Suggestions??
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    nice, i started out with a 20ct humi and about 2 months later i had switched to a 50 qt cooler
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    Definately look into a coool-a-dor, especially if you want to get it done cheap. You can buy a cooler for the same price as what you are looking to spend on a 100ct, but hold 3x that amount. I also have a 50ct, and a 20ct, but they are used more for aging than anything. Whatever you get you will fill quickly
    Or just do like I did and get this. LOL!
    And no, I never get tired of posting it. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cpulido:
    My humidor is still in the mail somewhere, but the sampler pack of cigars I ordered should be arriving today. This is my first cigar purchase ccom and I'm guessing they are shipped with some sort of humiliation pillow. I was wonder how long the sticks would keep with that because I will need about a week to season my humidor once it does arrive. Suggestions??
    You can keep them with the pillows a long time one pillow should work for over a month you may have to soak it in destilled water first though. They are good for up to 25 cigars each.