Home Cigar 101

Churchill, Robusto, Torpedo, etc - What's the difference?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I'm looking to buy some 5 Vegas Golds (anyone have any experience with these? I like mild, smooth cigars), but I'm a bit confused - between churchill, toro, No. 1, Torpedo, etc - don't they all use the same tobacco blends? Are the differences only aesthetic, or is it something else?-- -- - Thanks for any help

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in this particular case it is more about how long it will smoke for and what you are comfortable hlding and smoking.

5 vegas re blends each shape so they all taste the same.

some makers dont. Padron comes to mind.

the only other factor here is how fast you smoke. If you choose the smaller ring and you like to smoke faster then the small ring will make it burn hotter and therefore, not right.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    So if I smoke fast, I should go with a larger ring, but if I smoke slow, I could go with a smaller ring or a large one, correct? - - - Also, how would I know if a manufacturer re-blends for all their shapes, or not? - - -again, thanks for the help
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    So if I smoke fast, I should go with a larger ring, but if I smoke slow, I could go with a smaller ring or a large one, correct?
    invert that. If you go with a small ring, smoke slower.
    xmacro:
    Also, how would I know if a manufacturer re-blends for all their shapes, or not? - - -again, thanks for the help
    taste. If every cigar from a line tastes exactly the same then they reblend.
    most do these days. if they are trying to keep with the cuban tradition then they wont.

Padron doesnt. Fuente doesnt. Im not sure if oliva does or not.