Home Cigar 101

Cigar Sleeves

nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
Is there a benefit from leaving on/taking off the plastic sleeves on my sticks?  It seems like they might impede the transmission of the humidity in my humi into the stick itself...what do y'all like to do?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    nsezell:
    Is there a benefit from leaving on/taking off the plastic sleeves on my sticks?  It seems like they might impede the transmission of the humidity in my humi into the stick itself...what do y'all like to do?

Use the search button at the top of the page there was a whole thread about this not long ago. A ton of good info and pro's and con's along with everyones opinions ,,,that should be beneficial to you ...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they impede the humidity but personally I take them off as they are the most un-natural material touching the cigar. Many leave them on to protect the cigar when handled.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I leave mine on now, got tired of cracked/chipped wrappers when I root around in my humi.

"Long ashes my friends."

• smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I leave mine on and they are not plastic they are cellophane so the humidity does permeate it and therefore i just leave mine in the cello because it also protects it there is no need to take them out just asking for them to get cracked or messed up. Thats just my .02
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I leave mine on now, got tired of cracked/chipped wrappers when I root around in my humi.
    This is the reason I too keep all my cigars in cello, The only ones I will keep without cello, are ISOM's. I will even re-use old cello to cover the cigars that I receive without cello on them..I hate chipped cigars.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Krieg:
    This is the reason I too keep all my cigars in cello, The only ones I will keep without cello, are ISOM's. I will even re-use old cello to cover the cigars that I receive without cello on them..I hate chipped cigars.
    I'm with y'all...hate the chips, nics and dings. I have yet to go to the step of re-using old cellos for cigars without one. I'm just not really a motivated hobbyist.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I didn't realize that it was cellophane, not plastic.  I did a bit of research on cellophane and learned a lot.  I always referred to most plastic films as cellophane.  Apparently cellophane is just a glucose polymer, so it's mostly sugar...pretty cool!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I leave the cello on in my humidor that I root around in everyday; I take it off for my bigger humidor, that I mostly use for aging, or just for overflow.
  • xmacro:
    I leave the cello on in my humidor that I root around in everyday; I take it off for my bigger humidor, that I mostly use for aging, or just for overflow.
    I'm going to agree with xmacro 110% on this one. The aging humi gets all of its cellos off so they age faster (i know i know matter of opinion on that one but I've noticed a huge difference) and with my cheaper cigars and medium priced samplers go in a humi that I find myself rummaging through on a daily basis and so the cello stays on them if they came with one.
  • FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

Even though they are cellophane and are permeable, they do not transmit the moisture through fast enough. That's why you have chipping and cracking.

Last night I had a cigar that had a tight spot in the band area. I didn't have my wire with me so I rolled it firmly with my fingers. If I had not properly humidified this cigar so the wrapper was soft and flexible, it would have cracked easily with the pressure I was applying.

But like the others, if it's just a everyday smoke'em as fast as you can, it won't matter if you humidify them as they won't last long. Any other cigar remove the wrapper and humidify them and you won't have cracks or chips.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Dan

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nsezell:
    I didn't realize that it was cellophane, not plastic.  I did a bit of research on cellophane and learned a lot.  I always referred to most plastic films as cellophane.  Apparently cellophane is just a glucose polymer, so it's mostly sugar...pretty cool!
    yup
    some are derived from wood as well.
    the stuff burns. it doesnt melt.

i leave my cellophane on.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been reading the debate on cello on/cello off (I think I heard that in a movie once!)   I take the sleeves off when I put them in my humidor, but I've been saving them.  When I take a cigar with me or I'm trading with someone, I put the sleeve back on for ease of handling.

If I store a flavored cigar, I keep the sleeve on and wrap them in the thin cedar that comes inside tubos and store them in the section with the tubos that I have in the humidor.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it's my attempt to keep the flavor from the other sticks in the humiror.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:

I've been reading the debate on cello on/cello off (I think I heard that in a movie once!)   I take the sleeves off when I put them in my humidor, but I've been saving them.  When I take a cigar with me or I'm trading with someone, I put the sleeve back on for ease of handling.

If I store a flavored cigar, I keep the sleeve on and wrap them in the thin cedar that comes inside tubos and store them in the section with the tubos that I have in the humidor.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it's my attempt to keep the flavor from the other sticks in the humiror.

im not sure that will keep the flavor out of other cigars. I would recommend a different humidor, or just using a zip-loc bag.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    YankeeMan:

im not sure that will keep the flavor out of other cigars. I would recommend a different humidor, or just using a zip-loc bag.

Yeag I use a diff humi for infused stuff