Home Ratings & Reviews

San Lotano Oval Maduro

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, so now I wanna kick Mike's a$$, cause he certainly kicked mine. He gifted me a San Lotano Oval Maduro a while back. I salted it away, cause I couldn't bear to burn it. Last night, I wanted a kick-a$$ cigar, so I pulled it out. Shazayamm. I am surprised I don't find a review of this wonderful cigar here. I suppose anyone who smoked one was so blown away they simply became incoherent and could not produce a page. I am going to try if I can.

The date 4/7/12 was written on a bit of masking tape stuck on the cello. Dunno why. The wrapper was dark and glossy underneath the cello. When I removed the band, a bit of wrapper was stuck to that and got pulled off. The wrapper had a spicy leathery flavor and left pepper on my lips. Not a whole lot of odor. Real firm all along. It uncapped easily, but shed a few shreds. All along the smoke of it, I got a shred or two now and then. The draw was excellent. Unlit, the draw tasted like what I dimly remember of a Navy pipe tobacco I used to get in a pale round can. I held and admired this thing a full five minutes before firing up. Toro length. Looked like they took an oval and box pressed it flatter on the sides.

Lit by toasting the foot with one match. The cherry was uneven at first, but straightened out in a few, and stayed straight and steady throughout. Great volume. Full rich smooth spice with no bite to it at all, just a hint of pepper. Maybe a bit of espresso. So many flavors. The leather I tasted unlit disappeared soon as I got involved with the smoke. I had wreaths of smoke all round my head. I could not help but inhale the thing repeatedly. And the retro was a big hairy wow. I can still smell it. In the retro I would get the leather and spice. In the mouth I would get the rich spice and espresso. The ash was white and looked tight, but dropped at each 3/4". But when the asj fell, that didn't affect flavor at all. You know how you sometimes get a puff or two of bite after an ash falls? Not here. It just got smoother the farther I went. An hour in, I got unsweetened black chocolate. The kind of unsweetened dark choc that Bearswatter puts in the center of her baked confection she calls chocolate volcanoes. Unreal. This may be the best cigar I've had in my year of smoking cigars. Certainly the best burn ever. I hit her hard for an hour and three quarters. If I had to go all Olympic gymnastic judge on the thing and find something nit picky and irrelevant to deduct a point so the other girl could win by chicanery, I'd say I regret the oval shape because it won't roll in my mouth. I never realize how I roll a cigar when pulling it from my mouth until I mouth one that won't. That roll enhances the flavor of the wrap for me. At the very nub, I began to get a hint of oak through the nose, and that's when I knew she was done. Put her to bed reluctantly. Magnificent job.

I frankly don't know if I got much stink finger afterwards or not. I assume it was fine. Smelled great. But my nose was so full of the flavor of this cigar afterwards that it's hard to be sure. I am still full of the flavor. Enjoying a powerful morning mouth right now, which I expect will last most of the day. A slight damp wheeze.

I rate this five chock full nebula out of five stars.

Mike, you just kicked me to kingdom come with this one, brother. Gotta go hock the house now and score more.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review. I haven't had the Maduro yet, look forward to it. The "Navy" pipe tobacco you refer to, Flying Dutchman? or something else? Dutchman may have been too peppery for your description.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Nice review. I haven't had the Maduro yet, look forward to it. The "Navy" pipe tobacco you refer to, Flying Dutchman? or something else? Dutchman may have been too peppery for your description.
    Years ago. I may mis-remember. The one I am thinking about was navy cut black in a pale blue can.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pale blue can sounds right, but the one I remember wasn't the black. Of course, there may have been more than one style. Don't seem to see it anymore. I think it disappeared when the Dutch refused to bow to political correctness a-la-U.S. Mandate.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Excellent review my friend. This is a review with class and taste, although I do not agree with most AJ smokes and "taste." However, hopefully he is moving in the right direction. I very much enjoyed this fodder Mr. Webmost, you are have a penchant for verbiage I am akin to.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    PadronPete:
    Excellent review my friend. This is a review with class and taste, although I do not agree with most AJ smokes and "taste." However, hopefully he is moving in the right direction. I very much enjoyed this fodder Mr. Webmost, you are have a penchant for verbiage I am akin to.
    I got one of these from the rep a few months ago and lit it a couple weeks later. This does not taste like an AJ. Not that I have any aversion to AJ smokes. Quite the opposite, actually, but I digress.

The review above was spot on. This is a wonderful maduro. I like box-pressed sticks, so I enjoyed the oval shape. The flavor profile was complex and the cigar developed quite nicely. It was very well built and burned wonderfully. I would suggest this for an after brunch smoke. It would go great with a bold Italian espresso.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Smoked a oval maduro Robusto yesterday, I agree not an average AJ stick, I really enjoyed of and I love the shapes of the ovals