Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads and cellophane

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
OK just a thought here....

Since I read that the cellophane wrapper lets humidity through, would it be possible to use the cellophane wrapper and fill it with beads as a simple way to put beads in a humidor? Or for travel?

Anyone ever try this ? Might it work ok ?

Comments

• Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Sounds a bit messy to me. I'm not sure though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Much better idea....go buy a tubo, poke tons of holes in it with a small pin or tack, fill with beads. I've been doing this for a few months now after posing the question adn it is perfect. 4 Avo no 2 Tubo's can hold about 1/2lb of beads. Great reason to buy some Avo ;)
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Much better idea....go buy a tubo, poke tons of holes in it with a small pin or tack, fill with beads. I've been doing this for a few months now after posing the question adn it is perfect. 4 Avo no 2 Tubo's can hold about 1/2lb of beads. Great reason to buy some Avo ;)
    Cool idea.... I never saw an AVO in tubo but I do like the La Aurora !!!!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    catfishbluezz:
    Cool idea.... I never saw an AVO in tubo but I do like the La Aurora !!!!
    The Avo have the screw on top, the Cain F Lancero tubo works good too. I prefer those
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done the tubo thing as well. You can stuff em down in with the cigars or take it in a herfador. Cool thing to have.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    If you guys don't like the idea of metal in your humi an idea would be M&M mini's tubes there airtight and come in a couple of different sizes or a plastic cigar tube. Just an Idea.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I use to use the plastic screening for windows. Just roll it up cap the ends and fill with beads worked for me but still a boveda fan
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaetano7890:
    If you guys don't like the idea of metal in your humi an idea would be M&M mini's tubes there airtight and come in a couple of different sizes or a plastic cigar tube. Just an Idea.
    I've used the M&M tubes in my herfador. Seemed to work fine. If you have a soldering gun with a flat solder tip you can melt fine slots in it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

scroll down to the tubes

Small 65% Rh (BLUE Cap) Heartfelt Humidity Tube Details

The new tube allows for much better transfer of humidity to your cigars. We offer a Small Humi-Tube of Heartfelt Beads. This tube will control the humidity in a humidor up to 270 cubic inches.

Important: You can use more Hearfelt Beads in your humidor than the minumum amount recommended. The additional Heartfelt Beads will give you more moisture storage and help the humidor recover quicker when it has been opened. The extra Heartfelt Beads will also help compensate for seasonal changes and a less than perfect seal on your humidor.

Size: 4 1/2" long by 3/4" in diameter.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i just ordered 2 of their x-large tubes for my new as of today 300 count humidor (seasoning as we speak) i ordered a 65 and a 70, i figured that way it would level out to 67 or 68
  • Options
    reggie713:
    i just ordered 2 of their x-large tubes for my new as of today 300 count humidor (seasoning as we speak) i ordered a 65 and a 70, i figured that way it would level out to 67 or 68
    Not sure what happens when you use both sets of beads...... they may fight each other ????

The 70% giving off humidity while the 65% tries to suck it up Anyone know ? Might ask the guy who sells them..... he seems very good.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jadelt:
    reggie713:
    Not sure what happens when you use both sets of beads...... they may fight each other ????

The 70% giving off humidity while the 65% tries to suck it up Anyone know ? Might ask the guy who sells them..... he seems very good.
    I've been mixing my beads for several years now (65 & 70) and my humidity hangs at around 67 - 68 pretty much all the time.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    reggie713:

I've been mixing my beads for several years now (65 & 70) and my humidity hangs at around 67 - 68 pretty much all the time.
    thanx for that, i emailed heartfelt and no response yet, i too, thought they mighjt fight each other after i ordered!
  • Options
    reggie713:
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    reggie713:

thanx for that, i emailed heartfelt and no response yet, i too, thought they mighjt fight each other after i ordered!
    Any chance of an update on their response?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    That actually creates a black hole, you've doomed us all!
  • Options
    insomnniapb:
    reggie713:
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    reggie713:

yup! he said many of his customers have been doing the same for years, and works fine for them
  • Options
    reggie713:
    insomnniapb:
    reggie713:
    JDH:
    jadelt:
    reggie713:

yup! he said many of his customers have been doing the same for years, and works fine for them
    Cool thanks for the update!