Home Cigar 101

Need help! - - How to modify wooden humidor - sealing, gluing, and removing cedar

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
I just got a new humidor in the mail, and it's got a few problems. The inside spansih cedar joints aren't tight, and something fell off. I know if I send it back in, I'll have to wait a week to get it back, and the same problems are probably gonna pop up (yeah, it's an inexpensive humidor - can't afford a better one)

So how should I go about sealing the inside of the humidor? I wanna use something that will hold the seal, but won't give off odors and ruin my cigars - what do you guys recommend?

Also, the manufacturer seems to have put some 'guide rails' on the top of my humidor (seems I'm too stupid to figure out where to put the hygrometer/humidifier) - what's the best way of taking these off, without ruining/ripping the underlying spanish cedar?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    What fell off? A good seal is made by the moistened wood of the lid and lip of the bottom fitting snugly into each other. Dry wood makes no seal, moistened wood swells and makes a good seal. Are the joints loose because they are so dry or cut poorly? You could nail the cedar in place with SS finish nails and avoid using glue all together.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    screw fixing it

return it and ask for a refund. it isnt a humidor unless it seals. you didnt get what you expected out of it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    May be a wee hassel but I agree with Kuzi
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    To be honest I have to agree with just returning it and not bother fixing it. I have a humidor sitting in my room now that is waiting to be sent back. I tried to save some bucks and I now it is just going to cost me more because I have to pay for postage back even though I get a full refund. I should have known better...... I now have a well made humidor on the way.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've already put the humidfier on the top, so I hope they take it back anyway - the thing's just a pain.

Damn, I'm done with cheap/low-end humidors. This humidor looks beautiful, but it's just cheaply made - it's got that whoosh quality, but the interior joints are just terrible and what's most unforgiveable about the entire thing, is that the inside won't fit my 7.5" stogies! So most of my 50-gauge smokes are too big for it. Well, here's hoping they take it back, otherwise I'll have an $80 mistake sitting on my dresser for awhile.

I found some woodworkers who make humidors occasionally, and I'm gonna try to commission them to make me a custom humidor (nothing fancy - just a standard humidor that was assembled by someone who gives a damn) - here's hoping it's not too expensive. Maybe if I buy a humidor that wasn't assembled by some factory-line worker in china, but by someone who has a reputation to uphold, I'll get better quality.