Home Ratings & Reviews

Newbs take on Perdomo slow aged 826

prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
I figured I would take a break from my favorite maduro, the AB Prensado, and try one of the Perdomo slow aged 826 maduro I purchased as an afterthought on my first c.com order. The unlit aroma was not impressive at all, smelling as if it was produced in the woods behing my house. Was hoping it got better than that. At first light It did not get any better, to the point that I wondered if I could get through the whole cigar. The burn was ok throughout, requiring few touch ups. A bit into it, either the 826 improved, or my taste buds surrendered, I am unsure of which....I found myself less distracted by the harshness of the stogie, and settling into it ( of course that may have been the multiple Dark and Stormys I was drinking). Bottom line, inexpensive cigar that becomes tolerable with either time or alchohol. Will not likely repeat.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you did not get the best impression of this cigar! IMO perdomo sticks need to build in flavor and the first inch is not always great but the 2nd and 3rd make up for the flavor profile! I do like some of the stuff they produce and dislike some. That being said you are comparing 2 cigars in totally different price ranges!! Your prensado is about 3x the amount of the perdomo. So personally it's like me saying I smoked a padron 80th and it blew rocky Patel out of the water. Well of course it would 1)it's padron. 2)one is $30 and the other is $10. But I'm not a very big fan of ab or rp so maybe I'm not being fair but in all honesty for the price point and uneven comparison I'll take a padron maddy 2000 over the prensado any day!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    No doubt 2 different price ranges Lee. I am newly into cigars and finding my way through....
    Cigars are a great experience and sorry if I came across as a a-hole lol. I suggest you look into the aging of cigars!! It really makes a difference on most cigars!!! Another thing is to start buying samplers! You'll find some great ones out there and figure out which cigars you enjoy. Always take aging into consideration and start keeping notes about the smokes you've had. I've had a bunch of sticks I was not fond of at all and with some good rest they turned into completely different cigars. I go back in my notes and look at the first thought compared to the new one...it's truley amazing sometimes. Anyways good luck with your adventures in cigars and keep a open mind
    Money can't buy taste
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    pross, I think I understand what you are trying to say. The AB Pres is your favorite you will compare all cigars against your current favorite cigar. At least thats what I do. I have a few favorites, that no matter price, size, brand, etc, I will compare a new cigar too.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Your review was very entertaining. If you're not into the tart cedar flavors you might like the Aroma de Cuba. Have you tried a Mi Amore yet?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pross:
    No doubt 2 different price ranges Lee. I am newly into cigars and finding my way through....
    Pm me your addy...I'm fairly new and it's difficult, for me, to be patient because I want to find "the one". But it's forced me to slow my roll and relax, enjoy and study the profile of the cigar. Bombs that are sent out are ways to experience things you may not have a clue about until it shows up and blows up your mailbox! Enjoy!!
    bigjohn125:
    pross, I think I understand what you are trying to say. The AB Pres is your favorite you will compare all cigars against your current favorite cigar. At least thats what I do. I have a few favorites, that no matter price, size, brand, etc, I will compare a new cigar too.
    I understand what he is trying to say, but he also picked the bottom of the barrel of perdomos sticks. I mean why not a patriarch or esv to compare?? I mean the ab prensado was ranked #1 cigar of the year thanks to ab's advertising buying power to ca. So to me it's a really uneven playing field!! I mean why not go high end or even mid grade? That's all I was trying to say...in my mind no doubt the perdomo wasn't very good but if I was going to compare and try to find a different cigar I wouldn't try a af curly head to compare to a opus x. Just my thoughts it's a set up for failure most of the time
    Money can't buy taste
    I actually agree with all comments. I have been purchasing some samplers and some random buys based on my very limited experience and suggestions from others. That's how I found the Prensado. As I move through some different sticks, i am sure I will find those I like in every price range. No dig on Perdomo at all and I will try their others over time I am sure. I honestly had never heard of patriarch or esv, but will give them a shot. (Did I mention I am a newb?)
    Dear pross pm me your addy please
    Money can't buy taste
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He didn't relinquish his addy to me Lee, better convince him to.....
    Bigshizza:
    He didn't relinquish his addy to me Lee, better convince him to.....
    I have it if you need it still....got to wait on bombing him at the moment but you can go right ahead lol
    Money can't buy taste
    Uh Oh, I am starting to wonder what I got myself into.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry pross. Just close your eyes and think of England.

On a completely unrelated note, this may be a good site to add to your favorites.
    pross:
    Uh Oh, I am starting to wonder what I got myself into.
    Lol it's all good at least on my end...big Shizza well I can't speak for him lol
    Money can't buy taste