Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity issue?

Some of the cigars (closest to the humidifier) have become darker, even black, when veiwing the innards (filler) from the foot. This is only on the inside of these select sticks and discoloration is limited. They were not previously like this. I'm hoping this isn't a mold issue, but I expect them to be bitter from over-humidification. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    tedavies:
    Some of the cigars (closest to the humidifier) have become darker, even black, when veiwing the innards (filler) from the foot. This is only on the inside of these select sticks and discoloration is limited. They were not previously like this. I'm hoping this isn't a mold issue, but I expect them to be bitter from over-humidification. Any thoughts?
    If they are over humidified then they may be OK if slowly brought down in humidity. How high is the RH in the humidor? If you don't know then don't put any more sticks in there until you invest in a hygrometer to check the RH level. You will also need some beads or other humidification device to control and maintain your humidor humidity. You should probably remove that humidifier until you know the RH. Sounds like they may be so moist as to be damp on one side?
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    tedavies:
    If they are over humidified then they may be OK if slowly brought down in humidity. How high is the RH in the humidor? If you don't know then don't put any more sticks in there until you invest in a hygrometer to check the RH level. You will also need some beads or other humidification device to control and maintain your humidor humidity. You should probably remove that humidifier until you know the RH. Sounds like they may be so moist as to be damp on one side?

Agreed. My first humi the RH shot up over 80. They did the same thing you mentioned.
  • Options
    Yes, beads and digital hygro. Today it read 71F 68RH. The hygro also tracks highs and lows, the high was 74F 70RH. Last night I placed some beads that were alf to a third way charged from a desktop humidor. Also I moved the foot of affected cigars away from beads. (note: these were sticks on the upper tray of a large 300+ chest) Today there is less dark that is visible and I'm smoking one now, not bitter. Thanks for the help/support. This was a needless scare for me, but hopefully it may help someone in the future.