Home Cigar 101

Another Heartfelt Beads question?

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
I just ordered my first humidor and decided to go with a traditional desktop that can hold up to 150 sticks. The dimensions are (15 1/2” W x 13 3/4” D x 8” H). There is a removable shelf if that changes anything. My question is how many ozs of beads do I need to maintain the RH and then how many should I actually buy?

Secondly, what would be my best way to contain the beads inside a humidor of this size?

as always, thank you

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I would go ahead and buy either an 8oz or 16oz bag of beads, then you will have plenty for when your needs grow. I have beads in bowls in my coolerdor, but in my humis, I go with either a puck like this:
    or for under the tray, I've made holders out of individual cigar coffins with plastic mesh bought at Michael's that takes the place of the original lid:
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Thanks for the pictures - I actually learn best visually - aka I'm slow!

I just ordered heartfelt beads and I ended up going with a tube and a puck which should be overkill for my humi so even if I don't use both I'll have the extra for when my needs grow.

Do any of you actually use an oust air freshener to move air within a traditional desktop humidor?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    For a 1700 cubic inche. humidor, Heartfelt recommends about 3-4oz of beads . . . so you should probably use 6oz minimum (1/2 pound is about 8oz, 1 lbs is about 16oz). That way, when you open the lid, the humidity is restored quicker. And since you have more beads, you won't have to recharge them as often as it you use 3oz.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    xmacro:
    For a 1700 cubic inche. humidor, Heartfelt recommends about 3-4oz of beads . . . so you should probably use 6oz minimum (1/2 pound is about 8oz, 1 lbs is about 16oz). That way, when you open the lid, the humidity is restored quicker. And since you have more beads, you won't have to recharge them as often as it you use 3oz.
    The problem with that is, you might be overdoing it on the beads, Heartfelt is pretty good about giving you an accurate estimate of what their product humidifies.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I read on their site that whats recommended is the minimum amount needed to maintain RH but that purchasing more will just make the beads have to work less. Meaning less maintenance or recharging. I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that you couldn't really use too man beads not that Im going to flood my humi with them or anything but you see what I'm saying.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    I read on their site that whats recommended is the minimum amount needed to maintain RH but that purchasing more will just make the beads have to work less. Meaning less maintenance or recharging. I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that you couldn't really use too man beads not that Im going to flood my humi with them or anything but you see what I'm saying.
    I bought my heartfelt beads by using the calculator on thier site. Got the result and ordered twice the amount. I'm glad I did, my humi stays around 70-71 % (70% beads) and recovers very quickly once I open the humi. Not to mention it takes 2-3months between recharging.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I use a little over 1/3 pound in my 150 count. does just fine.