Home Cigar 101

Heartfelt Humidity Sheets

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Has anyone tried these yet? I think I'm going to order some, it will definetly create some additional room in the humi!

Comments

• 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I just ordered from heartfelt yesterday but went with a tube and a disk for my soon to be 150 count humi.....maybe I should have done some research myself before purchasing. Interested to hear the answers.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered 2 9.5x9.5 sheets. One will go in my desktop and I ordered the second just to be safe. I think this will definetly create some room in the old humidor.

I'll keep you guys up to date.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    so... if the sheets are charged and a cigar comes in contact directly with it, will osmosis take over and get the cigar wet?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have a sheet at the bottom of my newest desktop. I didn't charge them that much. I'm hoping the other ambient humidity will get down to the sheet and eventually charge the sheet without direct distilled water contact. I have beads in there as well. Humi has held pretty true at 66% for months now.
    So are your sticks in direct contact with the sheet?
    kuzi16:
    so... if the sheets are charged and a cigar comes in contact directly with it, will osmosis take over and get the cigar wet?
    I was thinking about getting one of those spanish cedar grates (or making one out of a spanish cedar box) to sit above it. We'll see.
    madurofan:
    very much so...at first I lightly sprayed some water on the sheets...let them sit for a while, then placed it in my seasoned humidor then placed sticks on top. I'll pull one from the bottom tonight and report on my findings....they have been there for a couple months.
    bbc020:
    madurofan:
    very much so...at first I lightly sprayed some water on the sheets...let them sit for a while, then placed it in my seasoned humidor then placed sticks on top. I'll pull one from the bottom tonight and report on my findings....they have been there for a couple months.
    Cool. Definetly let us know how that turns out, like I said I have two sheets on the way.
    but you view them as more supplemental humidity recovery/control rather than doing most of your humidification?
    kuzi16:
    but you view them as more supplemental humidity recovery/control rather than doing most of your humidification?
    I'm going to try them out as the primary humidity control to begin with and see what happens.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I'd be interested to see what bbc's experience with the sheets are, if the sticks aren't wet, I'm pulling out the puck and buying some sheets and a few more cigars!
    Garen B:
    I'd be interested to see what bbc's experience with the sheets are, if the sticks aren't wet, I'm pulling out the puck and buying some sheets and a few more cigars!
    Thats my thought B.
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    i almost went with the sheets i will be interested to see if they effect the cigar being that close to them i might just have to pick some up if they are good.
    the other issue is about charging them. if they are a secondary humidity system used to just help regulate they never have to be charged, but if they are your primary humidification device they would be at one point or another. is this going to be a giant pain? would you have to pull it out every time you wanted to charge? how long would the water take to absorb in? if you add too much water will it get a cigar wet?
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    those are the reasons i went with the beads in the first place did feel like having to deal with worrying about all that with the beads one little spritz and they are good to go no worries they just soak up that little bit of distilled water and last for a month or so well longer down here in houston.
    kuzi16:
    My thought was definitely as a supplemental control. They are not meant to be the only supply of humidification. As stated before, I also have a tube of beads in there. A rather large on at that. The sheet is meant only for a supplement, to draw in excess moisture and regulate humidity when I open the lid.

that being said, I pulled out a stick sitting directly on the sheet on the bottom of my humi (a rather expensive stick at that) and see no sign of water damage, or any splitting, etc....looks amazing. In fact, after all the work to get it out. I think I'm going to smoke it. Just for fun, I took a picture of it sitting in my newest accessory to my smoking area. Check it out

Photobucket
    another addition...this cigar was sitting on it without a cello. This humi is full of higher end smokes without cellos...mostly Padron anniversaries, Padillas, Tats, Illusiones, other Pete Johnson offerings...and other non-cello'd smokes. It really was hard to get one from the bottom...careful process of gently removing sticks.
    My heartfelt beads will be here tomorrow and my humidor is expected to be here Thursday.

I ordered heartfelt beads in a tube form and a puck. Realizing now that they are secondary forms of maintaining RH levels would you all recommend that I set them in the humidor with a bowl of distilled water and leave them for however long it takes for the RH to level off? Or if this isn't the case what is the best way for me to get started with these?

Thanks
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    0 That Guy 0:
    My heartfelt beads will be here tomorrow and my humidor is expected to be here Thursday.

I ordered heartfelt beads in a tube form and a puck. Realizing now that they are secondary forms of maintaining RH levels would you all recommend that I set them in the humidor with a bowl of distilled water and leave them for however long it takes for the RH to level off? Or if this isn't the case what is the best way for me to get started with these?

Thanks

The tube and puck should be fine, as long as they are big enough to humidify your 150ct humidor.  Basically, just season your humidor for a few days, stick your humidification in there with your cigars, and you're done.  And as a tip, the more cigars you have in your humidor, the easier it will be for you to maintain your relative humidity.

To find out how to season a humidor, go to this link:  Link
    that lamp is fantastic.
    kuzi16:
    that lamp is fantastic.
    LMAO. I was thinking it must be awesome to finally have a table in the smoking area.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    that lamp is fantastic.
    LMAO. I was thinking it must be awesome to finally have a table in the smoking area.
    The lamp was a birthday present from my smoking buddy. The lids slide open on the two upper boxes to stash away accessories. The table, cabinet (behind table) and the vintage red tweed recliner (right, not completely pictured) are all from my grandmothers estate.

I was referring to the Tat Ashtray that was newly added to my corner. It arrived yesterday. My buddy and I christened it appropriately with a pair of Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles.

Without having a B&M anywhere around, It is awesome to have a comfortable place to smoke a cigar and relax, regardless of the weather conditions outside.
    I completely missed that those boxes were the lamp! I was being a smart ass, but that lamp is f'ing cool. I thought you just had your boxes sitting out there to make us jealous. I need a smoking room .... *jealousy setting in*
    I just thought I'd let everyone know a little about the sheets. I set them directly on the bottom of my desktop and took the beads out of the humi. THis is the humi that has been giving me the most trouble here lately. It has pretty much completely stabilized at 67%. Awesome! I did stick it in the humi without charging it at all.

The only complaint I can see right now is that there is going to be no way to tell what percentage of the silica material is "charged".
    madurofan:
    I just thought I'd let everyone know a little about the sheets. I set them directly on the bottom of my desktop and took the beads out of the humi. THis is the humi that has been giving me the most trouble here lately. It has pretty much completely stabilized at 67%. Awesome! I did stick it in the humi without charging it at all.

The only complaint I can see right now is that there is going to be no way to tell what percentage of the silica material is "charged".
    This is true...I've not been able to figure that out either.
    Good deal maduro! I already wish I would have purchased sheets over the tube. The tube and the puck for that mater, just seem to take up a lot of room in a desktop. I can already see my space will be limited soon enough.
    Guy the one nice thing about the tubes and puck is that they prevent you from overfilling your humi. Don't regret the beads they are a good product.
    I def. love the beads cause there literally fool proof. I now understand why the guy in the Charlotte B&M turned me away from a humidor sale by telling me they were too much maintenance for a newbie. He probably was talking about the foam method of humidifying a humi and nothing more. I've never attempted this method of humidification but I can easily see why the beads are better. For example: I just opened my humi for 2-3 mins, stocking and arranging it with 30 sticks that just came in (10- RP edge corojo + 20 - Cuban cabinets). While opened the humidity dropped to 59%, once closed the RH climbed back up to 65% within 5 mins! That's the beauty of beads baby!