Home Ratings & Reviews

Flavorful Reviews (RCY Cigars)

RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
Had a terrific experience with a cigar today, that I kept putting off because of the size. Thanks ENFIDL for giving this to me. It was a Trinidad Churchill Maduro. I kept avoiding it because I thought I would not have time in the morning to smoke it. I had it with some H20. It had a soft leathery feel to it. I used my Xi3 Redwood to cut it and Xikar Exodus to light it. It was medium in strength which was very pleasing to know. I really thought this was going to rock me this morning. But that's not the make shift of this cigar. Started smoking it at 0545 and it ended at 0715. Sweetness of chocolate still coates my mouth from this cigar. Vegetable and sweet leather flavors is what I got from this and on each pull a mild spice. The burn was razor sharp, I was impressed also by how long the ash held. The cigar was packed tight and the ash was a solid gray all around. It was not big on smoke. Overall, for this being my first one ever smoked outside of a Cuban Trinidad. I have to say it was really flavorful and tastey. Had this in my humidor since September 27th when E gave it to me. Thanks again ENFIDL.

I did a little scouting around to see what others thought of this cigar. There is a bunch of mixed reviews on it. Which tells me that it may be a inconsistant cigar. Even with saying that. It's nothing wrong with getting two or three of them and letting them sit for awhile. Then firing one up. If that first one is a no go. Let it rest a while and try it again before giving up on it. I also failed to mention that I keep all my cigars in my cabinet at 65% and in my humidors at 69%. I know this may sound wierd to some. But I rarely take one out of either and smoke them right then. Since I do most of my smoking in the morning. I usually have a cigar before work. That's why I usually have a corona or robusto. I'll grab three to five cigars that catch my eye on Monday and I'll put them in my travel herf a dor. I usually use a boveda 69% bag for humidification. I also have a thin sheet of spanish cedar in there. I don't know if that's over board. But that's how I do it.

Comments

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Great review Rick. Almost made my mouth water.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nicely done.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfectly written and stated, WTG! And a big thank you for the read as well!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the support. I know I don't do reviews much. But for some reason I was inspired this morning by that cigar. We will see where this goes in the future. I would love to show pictures, but there is literally no light. Anyway thanks again....

• 415415 Posts: 951
    nice review rick. and nice choice of cutter. looking back on it i should have gone with the xi3 redwood over the carbon fiber.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    415:
    nice review rick. and nice choice of cutter. looking back on it i should have gone with the xi3 redwood over the carbon fiber.
    Great review Rick. I want more! O yea Kevin I Think the carbon looks great on the xikar.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    lcpleel:
    415:
    Great review Rick. I want more! O yea Kevin I Think the carbon looks great on the xikar.
    carbon fiber looks great on anything. and yes it looks sick on the xikar, but being in the construction trade there is just something about the redwood that i love.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it and that it inspired you to do a full review and write up on it brother! Great review and I look forward to reading more!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Great job so far. I'm ready for review number 2!
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Great job so far. I'm ready for review number 2!
    +1
  • Sounds good, i will have to add this to my to try list. Reviews like this really help me find different sticks to try.
    Astral Grand Reserve

MY History - Well, it's been a while since I last did a review. But this cigar got my attention. And guess what, it's a budget stick. That's right, every now and again something like this catches my attention. I wasn't going to smoke it. But I was compelled to by the luring appeal of the wrapper. I did my custom glance over my cigars in the cabinet and this one said it's time. This bad boy has been in my cabinet since I got it up and running. Before that, the bundle sat in my cooledor for about six months. It has been in there a total of a year and half un touched. I got it by listening to Tim. That's right The Beard got me. Pennies for a bundle, I can't remember. But what I do remember is him(Tim) saying something to the fact that this cigar is toasty with a bread like flavor. From that, I knew I had to try it. Anyway, when I got it. I also got a few other things and this one never got touched.

So on with this review :). I grabbed what I had available to drink, a Seagrams ginger ale. Only had a handful of cigars with soda before, interesting. I lick the the cap twice and got a bitter taste and spice. I used my new Black Ops perfect cutter and lighter to cut and fire this puppy up. I take two draws on it to get it going and put it down. This cigar has a ton of gray and blue smoke coming from it, wow. I'm amazed by the smoke that I do not pay attention to the taste and flavors. So, I take another draw and it is smooth with tons of cedar. On the finish of the draw it's a light spice lingering. I say to myself, I like this. In the first third of this cigar. It makes my back yard look like I'm grilling. So much smoke, it's toasty with cedar notes. It does not change and I'm not mad. I'm pleasantly surprise that it's consistant with that. As I get to the halfway mark. That's when the change comes and it's awesome. The smoke is coating my mouth with cedar and here comes this sweet thick flavor. No lie, my thoughts go to thinking. Is this the bread flavor that Tim was talking about. If so, I love it. Guys and gals, the notes came out like a symphony on my tongue. It played tons of smoke, cedar, sweet bread and smooth tasty notes nice like nothing I had before. As I get into the last third. It's starting to get dark and I'm a hour and twenty minutes into this cigar. I want to finish it and I say I will finish it. At this point, I feel like a kid. My wife turns on the porch light and looks out the window at me, lol. I take a sip of my ginger ale and I'm thinking man. I hope I did not mess up my taste buds with that. Whatever I did, it just made it better. Because the sweet bread flavor left. And I start to get a earthy taste. I'm not a big fan of that, but it's not bad. The strength is spot on. It's medium the whole way through and I'm loving it. I'm getting close to nubbing it but I can't. I start to take faster draws because it is so good and the cigar gets hot. So I had to stop. I have to say, for a budget cigar that I never had. I'm happy I did the rookie mistake and bought them just to fill up my cooledor, lol. Thanks Tim for making it sound so good. It was worth it. Check out the pictures. I hope I didn't bore you guys and gals. But it's not often I get to voice my point of view on a cigar. Thanks for reading and comments are always welcomed....
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Nice review and it makes me want to try one.
    JHewey:
    Nice review and it makes me want to try one.

Thanks JHewey and I'll remember that :)....

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice review Rick. I scored a box of these soon after I first arrived to the forums. These were the same sticks only in glass tubes. I agree with everything you said and for a mild stick they are very flavorful. Mt palate has changed completely since those days but I remember those as great sticks.
    laker1963:
    Nice review Rick. I scored a box of these soon after I first arrived to the forums. These were the same sticks only in glass tubes. I agree with everything you said and for a mild stick they are very flavorful. Mt palate has changed completely since those days but I remember those as great sticks.

Thanks Doug, this morning i went searching for some reviews on it. And I saw that they came in glass tubes. I guess thats why the price was so low. The box and tubes look very nice. Interesting you say mild. My palate has a long road ahead, lol. While smoking this cigar, in first third to the half way point. It was mild/ medium to me. I guess in the middle of the road so to speak. From the half way point on it was medium. I felt pretty good afterwards. I can honestly say it was flavorful. I went back to my emails to track down how much it cost me and all that Tim said about it. It is kind of my tracking and date keeping when I purchase something. But I was right in my description on what he said. The bread flavor was what made me buy it. A different flavor...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read Rick, the nuances and te description of the flavors and experience is fantastic but I really enjoy reading how you were feeling and what you were thinking too! Thanks for sharing with us and make sure you keep them coming ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    Great read Rick, the nuances and te description of the flavors and experience is fantastic but I really enjoy reading how you were feeling and what you were thinking too! Thanks for sharing with us and make sure you keep them coming ;)

Thanks Brett, appreciate your input. Will probably try to do another this weekend. Thinking about doing a CroMagnon Anthropology. Just depends if I'm in the mood for it then. I had one a week ago and it was pretty good.