Home Cigar 101
Options

New Batch freeze>?

Hello all Iv been getting gars by the truckload...im new! im sure you all caught the bug....! anyways...about the other bug..... with all these new cigars coming in i was wondering if i should freeze them when i first get them do you guys freeze everything you bring into the home?

Comments

• Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    unless i find a beetle i have no intentions of ever freezing them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've never frozen anything and have never seen a beetle. Even if I do encounter a beetle, I don't intend to freeze my cigars, I'll just be more diligent.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, freezing something that relies so heavily upon correct humidity seems like a not so great idea. Just my .02.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have never, and will never freeze my cigars.. I've never had a problem, so unless it's broken, don't try to fix it.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I never freeze. If you do then you have to bring them back around just right or your screwed...why risk that kind of waste when in all probability its not necessary..JMO
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I freeze 95% of everything I get and I have never had a problem. A major ccom competitor stated that they freeze everything that they get in because they don't want to take the chance of a beetle outbreak. I have the same routine. I freeze in my deep freezer for 2 - 3 days (sometimes more if I forget they are in there) then I move them to my fridge for 2 - 3 days and they I take them out. I usually have a water pillow in there and that freezes too so when it thaws then cigars are also thawing and there ins't a huge amount of humidity being released and the temps rise to room temp. I think I am ok doing this because they have mostly thawed already and I'm not putting them directly into 90+ temps or even 80+ temps. My room is usually between 70 and 76 degrees so the temp can rise slowly. I have not had a cracked cigar from freezing yet and I have found that the flavor has not changed either.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Most cigars are frze after mfg making a re-freeze un neccesary in my opinion
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ahem. As someone who has had a beetle outbreak, I have frozen my cigars. HOWEVER, I only did so the one time that I saw the beetles flying everywhere in my humi. I froze it all the humi, cigars, humidification, the whole nine yards! It worked it killed everything.

About a week after that happened I bought my wine fridge, now all my cigars stay 65 degrees all the time so I don't have to worry about beetles.
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Never frozen any of my stuff and never had beatles (knock on wood). Hopefully will never have that problem.