Home Ratings & Reviews

Est 1844....a review

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I like them.................you should try them!
the above review sponsored by padronpete

and now, for a brief review by yours truly, imvho of course.
I've smoked about 5 or 6 of these now, the first being almost rott, the most recent had about 9 months on it, and I just finished it.

These most definitely need at least 3 to 6 months rest. The first one I smoked was rough, rather harsh, the spice a bit nasty, the expected leathery full tobacco flavors just simply overpowered by the "roughness" of the not-quite-ready to smoke stick.
Each one I smoked got better as time went on.
The one I smoked this afternoon/evening was a typical semi-strong Nicaraguan maduro, not an in-your-face full bodied bomb, but well past medium in strength and body.
Construction on these has, for me, been outstanding, with perfect draw and perfect burn on each one, with tons of easily produced smoke. Only one minor touch-up required in the final third, and that's only because I have cigar OCD, I like to keep my burn lines perfect.

Complex? No, of course not. But it does provide rich, quality, tobacco flavors, with occasional hints of coffee and bitter chocolate. The finish is somewhat oily on the palate, but in a good way.
The harsh spicey retrohale which I encountered when smoking the first one of these almost "off-the-truck" has completely vanished. Now the retrohale is smooth as silk, with just a hint of spice and the occasional bitter chocolate.

This cigar is really challenging the GH2002 as my go-to, well under $2/ea budget smoke.

Comments

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i'd have to say that i prefer them to the gh 2002's. they seem to not be as harsh, in my opinion. Plus you can pik up 10 off of the ss for $20 all the time!
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Bought a 10pk on the daily deal one time, smoked one when It got here with a few days rest in the humi and thought "WTF!" but then I let it sit for 3 months, yup that's all she needed!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Thanks for the review. I'm partial to the 1844-50. Always have a few in the humi. You'd be hard pressed to find a much better economy smoke.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Yep, I bought a box of the No. 50 last November and they're oh so tasty now! Just picked up another box for cheap (1.55 per) and dumped it in the depths of my cooler for the future.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Thanks for the review. I'm partial to the 1844-50. Always have a few in the humi. You'd be hard pressed to find a much better economy smoke.

Yep!! I'll drink to that. Of course, I'll drink to 'most anything...

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    They do need some rest, not a ROTT smoke.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Yup, a couple of months does wonders for them. I've only had the 50 so I can't comment on the rest. All in all, they're a good choice for a quick smoke on the drive to work.
  • KingoftheCove:

Excellent review, I shall go buy them now simply because you said they are good. I wish there were more reviews like this, so I can figure out what to buy.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    PadronPete:
    KingoftheCove:

Excellent review, I shall go buy them now simply because you said they are good. I wish there were more reviews like this, so I can figure out what to buy.
    lol - I knew you'd love it!
    But - these are not for you! too much like an AJ smoke ...............