Home Pipes
Options

Opinions on....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So there are a couple of tins I was looking at: CAO Eileen’s Dream, Davidoff Royalty, and Peterson Connoisseur’s Choice. Anyone like or dislike these? I have just had aromatics such as the holiday blend and such. I'm looking at getting some non aromatic and some advice would be great. I've heard Virginia leaf is good, and possibly up my alley.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've had the Davidoff Royalty; it's ok I suppose. Doesn't live up the Davidoff cigar name, but it's a good tobacco all the same
  • Options
    thanks man.
  • Options
    would there be something better?
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Royalty is OK, I think it is the best of Davidoff's stuff but I do not care for aromatics. As far as anything that is better, it depends on what you are looking to try. You mentioned VA's as you thought you might like them, they are very good. I would suggest starting off with a VA burley blend like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend. It does not give any tongue bite like many other VA's or VA/Per blends often do. Although Stokkebye has a bulk, Luxury Bullseye Flake that is what I would call a light aromatic it is a VA/Per and black Cavendish that is a good starting point for entering the world of VA's coming from an aromatic perspective.

Now you mentioned Royalty above, that is a VA/Oriental/Lat. blend that is lighter on the Lat. then most but you will still taste it clearly. The VA's in it and the oriental are all high quality so it would not be bad but if you are looking for a VA more than a light English blend you might want to consider something else. The Lat. is predominant most of the time, although it is a long way from a Lat. powerhouse.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    phobicsquirrel:
    would there be something better?
    Eh, can't help ya much there. My experience with aromatics is limited; I only really smoke Captain Black and Borkum Riff Cherry on occasion, the Davidoff was a one-time buy because I thought it'd be more similar to the cigar.

If you're looking to try something different, might wanna check out plugs - there's something fun about taking a pocket knife, cutting off a slice of tobacco and rubbing it out or stuffing it in the pipe. G.L. Pease Jack Knife Plug and the Triple Play are pretty good

If you want something light and somewhat sweet, you should check out McClelland's Grand Orientals (7 in all, IIRC) - very nice and light, great for a hot day.