Home Pipes

Help

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
My birthday is coming up and I wanted to start dropping hints to the wife. I want to get set up with with a casual pipe. I don't Plan on smoking it often (maybe once a week). What should I look at and everything needed? I dont want her to spend much but enoughthat I won't want to go get something else right away.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nothing wrong with a handful of corncobs. They smoke well, and you can get enough on a budget that you can devote one pipe to each type of tobacco. And having more than one pipe will allow you to rest your pipe after smoking and get a rotation going
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    xmacro:
    Nothing wrong with a handful of corncobs. They smoke well, and you can get enough on a budget that you can devote one pipe to each type of tobacco. And having more than one pipe will allow you to rest your pipe after smoking and get a rotation going

+1. That is what I would do. Cobs do not last forever but a few to get you started is always a good idea and then start looking for a good pipe. You can get OK pipes for $50 or even less but 4 or 5 cobs would last quite a while and you would have several allowing you to smoke different blend types right away.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Diff blend types? U mean the diff flavors need diff pipes!!?? That's insane...or u mean something else
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Certain blends "ghost" into a pipe, that is, they leave their mark and it can be difficult to get them out; you'll be tasting them again and again even if you put in a totally different tobacco. Perique, Latakia, and Lakeland are the 3 most notorious ghosters (especially Lakeland) - the upside is that if these ghost into a pipe dedicated to them, it can enhance the smoking experience in subsequent bowls.

What some pipers will do is dedicate a pipe to each - 1 pipe for virginia's, 1 pipe for burleys, 1 pipe for Virginia-Perique blends (aka Va-pers), 1 for lakeland blends, and 1 for Periques. English tobacco's from what I've heard (no experience myself) hardly ghost, if they do it at all - they won't affect other tobacco's, but ghosting from other tobaccos can affect them. Also worth mentioning is that pipes need about a day of rest after smoking to dry out, otherwise the smoke can become harsh and on occasion, crack the pipe (very unlikely to happen to high quality pipes, but a possibility with budget pipes - but then again, if you have a high quality pipe, why risk it?)

The only pipes that don't ghost/ghost with great difficulty, are meerschaum pipes. With meerschaums, ghosting is very temporary (maybe 5 bowls), the only blends that ghost pretty hard are lakeland (and even then, it's temporary unless you smoke a lot of lakeland), but meerschaums are a big jump in price, which is why it's cheaper to dedicate a pipe to blends that are prone to ghost.

My own experience is a little different. I don't think VA's ghost or burley as long as they are not cased with something (e.g., coco or vanilla). Blends that are uncased/not detectable flavorings IMO can be smoked out of the same pipe. Perique will ghost as will Latakia. Lakeland's, with their own special scent should definitely be smoked in a seperate pipe. So I have 1 pipe for straight VA and burley blends, 1 for VA/Per, 1 for Lat., 1 for Per/Lat. combos, 1 for Lakeland and 1 for what I call light aromatics which in my case usually are VA blends that have some sweetener added to them.
    Wife shut this down boo!
    Man, sorry to hear that. Keep thinking about it, there might be a chance later on down the line.
    J.S.:
    Man, sorry to hear that. Keep thinking about it, there might be a chance later on down the line.
    just means I will buy it on my own lol