Home Cigar 101

Humi-Care bags from ccom

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
How long will the cigars I ordered from ccom last in the bags they came in with the humi-care packs?

Comments

• nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    As long as you refill the packs at least once a month, or when they start to get low...a long time.  I still use humicare packs in those bags for sticks that I share with friends and for stuff I don't have room for in my humi.  6 months at least.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Riddle me this.......When an order of cigars comes to you in the mail is it best to baby them in the humidor for a minimum amount of time? The reason I'm asking is because I just received a Ccom sampler pack and a 5 Vegas sample pack. Of course I wanted to jump right in on em and puff one. I grabbed a purple label and went outside to smoke it. When I cut it, it immediately cracked and frayed and from there it just got worse. I'm guessing it was just dried out and stressed from the shipping process and just need some time to recover oils and humidity, am I correct?
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Usually, I let my cigars rest in my humi for awhile after shipping, but there are times when I can't resist, so I smoke anyway.  Shipping can be kinda hard on them, but I don't know why it cracked, prolly just an unlucky stick.  The humicare pillows usually do a great job of controlling the humidity in the pouch for the number that fit in there, the problem that comes with shipping is the temperature.  There is no way to control the temp in the mailbox/shipping facility/truck.  This shouldn't have made it crack as far as i know, but I'm no expert.  I had a ccom sampler last year when I was really getting into variety, they are a great way to learn and try different things, and I really liked all of the blends, but I did have a few construction issues.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had some smoke well right off the porch, some need a little R&R in the humi. It's a crapshoot really, so I just throw them all in the humi for a couple weeks minimum and all is good from there on.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    A week or two after shipping is usually best for em, you have no clue as to what temp differences and such that those sticks went thru, but if you getting something from here, at least it's only temp that you have to worry about. And with my experiences with the house labels, some have a shallow cap on them, just nip the end or use a punch on em. They taste great though.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I tell you what, it's going to be hard to break away from the humi-bags. Mine have been sitting at 68.5 degrees and 68% humidity for days now. I just hope I can say the same about my humidor which should be arriving today.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    A lot of people like to smoke at least one cigar when they first get a bundle to see how they are and then age the rest to see if and how they develop over time. Some may be be great right out of the box and some may not. Age can fix that but if it is a bad cigar no amount of age will fix it. If you get a 5 pack, you can try one immediately, then one maybe 3 months later, and so on. The amount of time is up to you. Patience is hard especially for me.

Oh, and I have at least 25 bags just sitting because I can not fit them in my humi and they all have humi-care bags. Some of the bigger bags may have two or three. I've had a lot of them for a long time!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    Riddle me this.......When an order of cigars comes to you in the mail is it best to baby them in the humidor for a minimum amount of time? The reason I'm asking is because I just received a Ccom sampler pack and a 5 Vegas sample pack. Of course I wanted to jump right in on em and puff one. I grabbed a purple label and went outside to smoke it. When I cut it, it immediately cracked and frayed and from there it just got worse. I'm guessing it was just dried out and stressed from the shipping process and just need some time to recover oils and humidity, am I correct?
    This is the great debate. Many people (kuzi is the biggest hardliner I have ever met in this category) have a set amount of time a cigar must "rest" in the humi before they will smoke it. Me? I like for a cigar that I'm smoking for the first time or somewhat "reviewing" to get at least two weeks in the humi. Otherwise, I smoke it when it look tasty to me.
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I usually let mine sit for at least 4-6 weeks before i will have one just so they have enough time to get back to the proper rh and stay there for a little. Usually after a month if i got a 5er or something i will test one out and see how they are than i let em age for while before pulling em out again.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I'm kind of all over the place on this subject.
    Cigars speak to me (OK insert jokes here) and when I open my humi if a cigar does not jump out at me then I go to the next humi. I usually find that something in one of them will just kind of "wish" me to sacrifice it to the gods... so I do :)
    I also purchase in multiple's, so I can smoke one "fresh" and then every so often after that. I really am NOT very disciplined, when it comes to cigars. I'm so weak !!!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Just to reiterate a point that's already been made, it's really hard to know how a cigar will do. I've smoked some right away that were perfect. I've also had a few that weren't. I would let them sit for a week or two and then light up, just to be on the safe side. This is always easier said than done for me though. I have my moments where I can't resist smoking, especially if it's something I've been waiting to try.
  • Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    Heck, i've lit up at the mail box!
    Doughty421:
    Damn backwards West Virginians. lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Doughty421:
    Hey Doughty.. You need a little self control man ..
    kaspera79:
    little self control man ..
    Why you gotta call Duty names? :)
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    There is now Lo-Carb Monster in my keyboard, thanks.
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    There is now Lo-Carb Monster in my keyboard, thanks.
    de nada
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I think Duty's a victim of burro-cide...