Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Padilla Achilles

I bought a box of these padilla achilles torpedos about 3 months ago and now that it's warm, I've finally gotten around to smoking a few of them.  The problem is, in order to keep them burning I have to draw hard on them every few seconds, which gets the foot WAY too hot, and ruins the flavor.  I enjoy the flavor of the cigar through the first third, but by the time I get to where the sweet spot would usually be, the tobacco is charred and tastes horrible...I either lose it 1/2-2/3 through the stick and it goes out on its own, or I drop it in the ash tray and leave it to go out because I can't stand the taste anymore.  I've never had this problem before and I'm afraid to try another Padilla blend because of my experience with this stick.  Am I doing something wrong, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?  Should I just avoid Padilla?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Don't avoid Padilla based on this cigar, I've had problems with it too. If you want a really good Padilla, check out the Padilla Habano, or for something stronger, the Signature 1948, Signature 1932 and Miami are all really good. Padilla is a great brand, but they do have a couple of shortfalls, namely the Achilles and Obsidian...both have a great flavor, but the construction is lacking.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    yeah the obsidian was a booger to keep lit ...
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    gmill880:
    yeah the obsidian was a booger to keep lit ...

Glad it wasn't just me. I've had good luck with the 68, 32, 48, Miami and Habano. I've got a couple of Achilles in the box now. Any chance some extra time will help?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have had one Obsidian and I remember having a hard time keeping it lit and the draw was tight as hell. I just found a cigar puncher that I may pick up. I wonder how it would do with a torpedo though.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    by puncher do you mean punch cutter or like a draw poker?  I don't think a punch cutter would help, in fact, I couldn't imagine using one on a torpedo, lol.  Concerning draw pokers, I've read a bit on these tools, and, while I've had trouble with draw in a few of my sticks, I wouldn't think this would be a good idea.  It seems to me that jamming an icepick like rod down it would either open it up so much that the air only moves through the newly formed hole, and not as much through the tobacco, killing the flavor, or destroy the stick altogether.  Usually, when I have a hard draw I just try to kind of roll it between my hands and loosen up the tobacco.  It seems to help most of the time.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    nsezell:
    by puncher do you mean punch cutter or like a draw poker?  I don't think a punch cutter would help, in fact, I couldn't imagine using one on a torpedo, lol.  Concerning draw pokers, I've read a bit on these tools, and, while I've had trouble with draw in a few of my sticks, I wouldn't think this would be a good idea.  It seems to me that jamming an icepick like rod down it would either open it up so much that the air only moves through the newly formed hole, and not as much through the tobacco, killing the flavor, or destroy the stick altogether.  Usually, when I have a hard draw I just try to kind of roll it between my hands and loosen up the tobacco.  It seems to help most of the time.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. A draw poker. I haven't used one and I don't know anyone who has but it is kind of the same concept as one using a paperclip to try and loosen the draw; which I haven't tried.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nsezell:
    I use a very tiny (for eye glasses) screwdriver as a Plug poker. I have found that it is actually more efficient to use the poker from the lit end of the cigar. I slowly push it right thru the center of the burning end of the stick. Quite often it clears up the plug right away.
    If that does not work then I use it thru the center of the draw end of the stick. I try to just sort of drill a little hole into the center of the stick, so as not to block the flow of air between the rolled tobacco's. Sometimes this works great and other times there is not a lot you can do.
    As for rolling it between your fingers, just be careful not to cause a soft spot or loosen the rolls of tobacco too much or it could affect the draw in the opposite way, or cause the stick to un-roll even, I would think. Whatever method is used, careful, slow, and gentle attention can sometimes help.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I never thought of using something like a paper clip.  That's such a simple solution.  Do you push all the way through the cigar, or just a bit.  Also, I usually know if there's gonna be a problem when I draw on it cold.  Should I try poking then, or wait till I light it and smoke a bit.  If you don't have to poke all the way through, maybe a safety pin unfolded would work better, not as blunt on the end.  Thoughts?