Home Cigar 101

Humidor Setup

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
First of all, let me thank everyone everything I've learned reading through the forums. I recently returned from Afghanistan, where every night some of the people I lived with would some cigars. Several times I joined them, and when I returned home I found that I missed the camaraderie (as well as the time away from my wife =P). I ordered a few cigars and a humidor from cigar.com. When I got the humidor, I looked up what I needed to do. I put in a shot glass half filled with water,dampened the humidifier and waited 12 hours. 12 hours later, all the water was still in the glass. I again dampened the humidifier and left it for 24 hours. Still nothing. I feel like I am missing something simple, but I could sure use some help!

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    hey rain. welcome to the forums. may I suggest this video? it tells you exactly how to season it. This is actually the way I seasoned my wooden humidors and it is rock steady.

http://cigarobsession.com/2009/03/11/all-about-the-humidor/
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Perfect :) Nothing I read told me to wipe the box down with water! Time to start over haha.
    haha yea man. there is a series of steps that you need to follow. but once it's all said and done, you'll be happy with it. and I'm pretty sure the video says this but you must use distilled water. tap water tyically has too many contaminents
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Perfect :) Nothing I read told me to wipe the box down with water! Time to start over haha.
    LIGHTLY wipe down the humidor. I don't agree with saturating it.
    I do agree that you may need to do it a couple times, but the bowl/shot glass of distilled sitting a week should be good enough.
    And keep an eye on the hygrometer. You'll know when it stabilizes.
    Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bklyn78Bklyn78 Posts: 65
    0patience:
    Rain:
    LIGHTLY wipe down the humidor. I don't agree with saturating it.
    I do agree that you may need to do it a couple times, but the bowl/shot glass of distilled sitting a week should be good enough.
    And keep an eye on the hygrometer. You'll know when it stabilizes.
    Just my opinion.
    I destroyed my 50CT by using too much water. But live and learn.
    as promised pics! they're blurry... bad lighting at night time know what i'm sayin? so ya, this is a "300 count." it prob really holds like.. 250 or so. so yea, two full shelves that are fully removable. It's got a great seal. holds humidity rock steady. let me know if it interests you and I can further guide you.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually takes about 3 days to a week to season a humi. Sometimes longer in a real dry climate. If yo wipe down the inside DON'T saturate it you can cause to wood to warp then you'll just have a cool looking box to store junk.
    I ended up getting this one; thoughts?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    as promised pics! they're blurry... bad lighting at night time know what i'm sayin? so ya, this is a "300 count." it prob really holds like.. 250 or so. so yea, two full shelves that are fully removable. It's got a great seal. holds humidity rock steady. let me know if it interests you and I can further guide you.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    The pics may be blurry, but I know an Opus X when I see them. (next to your Casa Fuente) . I see you have a few lanceros there in the front. So........ where are your Nubs?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    i dont like nubs! i'm actually a lancero fan. interestingly enough, I've never had an opus x (aside from the lost city). I really need to get crankin on some know what i'm sayin halo malo? i'm gonna start w/ the opus x power ranger (****). perhaps tonight
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sweet Jesus Mrs. Cleaver (like the month), I thought we had this picture thing squared away!!! I leave for a few weeks and all of a sudden youve got the shakes again...

OK, back on topic - you didnt mention in in the original post and none of the responses Ive seen raised the question... did you put a properly calibrated hygrometer in the humidor when you started the seasoning process? If not, do so as its the only way to tell when the humidity is at the right level and stable. If so, once you get to 65-70% RH and its holding steady, you're ready to start loading your stogies in.

Simply waiting for all the distilled water in the shot glass to be absorbed into the wood of the humidor wont tell you where the RH is at, and you will likely be waiting for-****-ever for even a shot glass of distilled to disappear.

Hope this helped! :-)

The Sniper:
    Sweet Jesus Mrs. Cleaver (like the month), I thought we had this picture thing squared away!!! I leave for a few weeks and all of a sudden youve got the shakes again...

OK, back on topic - you didnt mention in in the original post and none of the responses Ive seen raised the question... did you put a properly calibrated hygrometer in the humidor when you started the seasoning process? If not, do so as its the only way to tell when the humidity is at the right level and stable. If so, once you get to 65-70% RH and its holding steady, you're ready to start loading your stogies in.

Simply waiting for all the distilled water in the shot glass to be absorbed into the wood of the humidor wont tell you where the RH is at, and you will likely be waiting for-****-ever for even a shot glass of distilled to disappear.

Hope this helped! :-)

hi snippy. welcome back from vacation. my pictures got blurrier due to the anticipation of your come back.
  • RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    if you squint they arent blurry
    RobIsSweet:
    if you squint they arent blurry
    what does squint me? I believe I am always at that "squiting" state. what? jiunn, come on!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    i dont like nubs! i'm actually a lancero fan. interestingly enough, I've never had an opus x (aside from the lost city). I really need to get crankin on some know what i'm sayin halo malo? i'm gonna start w/ the opus x power ranger (****). perhaps tonight
    well?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    First of all, let me thank everyone everything I've learned reading through the forums. I recently returned from Afghanistan, where every night some of the people I lived with would some cigars. Several times I joined them, and when I returned home I found that I missed the camaraderie (as well as the time away from my wife =P). I ordered a few cigars and a humidor from cigar.com. When I got the humidor, I looked up what I needed to do. I put in a shot glass half filled with water,dampened the humidifier and waited 12 hours. 12 hours later, all the water was still in the glass. I again dampened the humidifier and left it for 24 hours. Still nothing. I feel like I am missing something simple, but I could sure use some help!
    "everyone everything"

"every night some of the people I lived with would some cigars."

What does it all mean?
    This is a classic. Blurry Jiunn photos to boot.

NECRO!
    Troll on brother!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    The jiunn pics are always the best. As long as they're not selfies.

And drew, what's this avatar? Can't make it out. It looks like a bridge. Is it a d-du-bridge?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:

And drew, what's this avatar? Can't make it out. It looks like a bridge. Is it a d-du-bridge?
    Looks like a troll on a laptop sitting under a bridge.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Since this is your first thread I thought I should warn you that it's not cool to use Cigar.com's forum to talk about a competitor's website. I'm sure you understand. So, this time it's just a warning.
    Yeah, noob! It's called "Search", Rain.Bob, you can't quote it or it can't be changed. Just a warning....move along!PS - I did get that one.PSS - CCom, please starting selling that humi...it rocks.
    Cange it!? LOL. No way Randy. It's just too good to change. The Cop was once the criminal.
    Bob Luken:
    Cange it!? LOL. No way Randy. It's just too good to change. The Cop was once the criminal.
    ***Change ;)Yep...I was undercover!No, but really...I was guilty. My only defense is A) I was/am a noob and B) CCom does not sell that humi.Now I have to go reevaluate my whole life.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Martel:

See linky-link: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/725133.aspx
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    Martel:

See linky-link: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/725133.aspx
    nice. very nice.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I am in love with what this has become.
    ddubridge:
    Not as much as I <3 you.
    ddubridge:
    It's alive!
    GIFSoup