Home Pipes

Ghosting?

Anyone have ghosting issues when you smoke Virginia and VaPer out of the same pipe? I haven't myself, but am curious to see what others' experiences have been.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Perique, Latakia, and Lakeland are supposed to ghost pretty easily, especially Lakeland
  • I wouldn't smoke English or anything with Latakia in the same pipe as Virginia.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    VA's don't typically ghost at all, Burley does not either (but beware of some casings found in these blends). Perique is a different beast all together. I would not smoke a VA and a VA/Per. blend in the same briar pipe as the Perique will ghost badly.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What IS ghosting?
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Ghosting is when a blend type (e.g., Lat. or Perique, or an aromatic blend) leaves behind its flavor in the pipe. Natural tobaccos will smoke out ghosts but it can take some time. Aromatic tobaccos can be very difficult to get rid of the flavor. For example, I smoked 1 bowl of an aromatic when I first started in a pipe and it had an incense like taste, that flavor after just 1 bowl stayed in the pipe for about 30 additional bowls. It is not as prevalent as smoking but you will find hints of it here and there throughout the smoke.

Sometimes ghosting is a good thing. I like Lat. and smoking a VA in a pipe that is dedicated to Lat once in a while will allow you to taste the lat. in the background. So then you have an English blend with only a hint of Lat instead of a straight VA. A nice change of pace. However, I would never smoke a lat. blend in my pipe dedicated to straight VA. I don't want that in my VA pipe. I hope this makes sense.