Home Cigar 101

wringing one out

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whatsa quickest way to wring out one single wet stick? I scored a candidate for daily, a Perdomo Fresco maduro, from Otter's Pocket yesterday. Couldn't find a single robusto, so had to score a churchill. Can't wait to fire up and see if it's worth buying a bundle and stashing them away to dry. I uncellophaned this one and laid it out. 52% humidibititty today. You think it might be ready to smoke by the end of the day? Smells pretty darn good, but swollen tight as a honeymoon ***. Think maybe I ought to pack it in salt?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dry box it.
    i am not a big fan of dry boxing, but if you are in a hurry itll work.
    what i would do is throw it in the bottom of the humidor for a year or two. should even out and age.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    dry box it.
    i am not a big fan of dry boxing, but if you are in a hurry itll work.
    what i would do is throw it in the bottom of the humidor for a year or two. should even out and age.
    Not to feign ignorance, cause God knows I don't need to feign it, but, what's "dry box" stand for? I need something that works quick.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Put it in an unhumidified humidor or cigar box for a few days. The wood will absorb the moisture from the cigar and bring it back to normal levels. There is no quick way around it, it'll take a few days...
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Like was said no quick way about it other than a few days dryboxing. Sudden changes in humidity, well they just don't work out well in taste or performance of cigars in general. Me and my robusto-sized pals like to be steady, consistent environments. And if changes are required we like to SLOWLY raise or lower rh levels. Otherwise we get scared and huddle in the corner emitting gassy smells.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to let you know how this came out, I unwrapped the Perdomo Fresco Maduro Churchill from Otter's Pocket and aired it out for four days. Fired it up yesterday. Burnt just fine ... about halfway through. Then it plugged up. I didn't have enough patience. Ought to have given it another week. Either that, or uncap the head, so it could dry from both ends.

Not a bad smoke. Passable for a cheap maduro I suppose. Not really my thing, though.