Home General Discussion

what to get?

So I am admiring my new 120 ct humi as it goes through the seasoning process when I realize it looks sad and lonely. so to make it happy i need to load it up w/ some good sticks. and since I am relatively new to the leaf I decided to see what all everyone would fill it with or recomend. right now I am in the experimental stage; but one cigar i do enjoy is the Nub line. thanks for your help.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Are you good with your seasoning process? What kind of humidification are you using? Did you get a digital hygrometer?

Now that that is out of the way, if you enjoy the nub line you should try the Oliva lines. Nub's are made using Oliva tobacco so that would be the next logical step.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    before anyone else says it, I'm gonna beat them to the punch. Go with 5 vegas. They've got plenty of blends, so one should appeal to you and they're great smokes for the price. I personally love the gold - mild, relic - medium, and cask strength II - medium/full, but wasn't a huge fan of the miami.

Check out samplers, this way you get to try different blends from different blenders. Pay attention to what countries the tobacco comes from and what profiles you typically like. That'll give you a better idea of what to look for in the future.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Read reviews on the site and ask yourself "Does it sound like I would like it?" Then buy the ones that sound good and see if you can pick up on the same aspects that were mentioned. This will help to define your pallet to see your likes and dislikes. Everyone is not going to be the same and therefore might recommend something that might not be in your profile. Also, try to break out of your profile every now and then to see if your tastes are changing.
    vankleekkw:
    Read reviews on the site and ask yourself "Does it sound like I would like it?" Then buy the ones that sound good and see if you can pick up on the same aspects that were mentioned. This will help to define your pallet to see your likes and dislikes. Everyone is not going to be the same and therefore might recommend something that might not be in your profile. Also, try to break out of your profile every now and then to see if your tastes are changing.
    Don't listen to him, he's a White Sox fan ... They just got beat by 19 by the Twinkies AND got turned down by Peavy in the same day.
  • Ok, since i can't figure out how to do mulitple quotes.....I have humicare gel in it right now but am going to get beads I think and definately have a digital hygro. Oliva has been added to the list; I see a sampler on here, I have tried the Vegas Gold and enjoyed, Relic i've been contemplating and am leaning more towards getting them as well. I'm also thinking of getting the medium sampler in the latest catalog as well.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Might want to do the weekend blitz, that'll help a bit and if you don't like them, I'm pretty sure the guys here wouldn't mind them being trade fodder. Try out the make your own sampler on here too, pick cigars you haven't heard of and ones you have been wanting to try, it's one of the best ways to try something out that you wouldn't normally try.
    blustar4life:
    Ok, since i can't figure out how to do mulitple quotes.....I have humicare gel in it right now but am going to get beads I think and definately have a digital hygro. Oliva has been added to the list; I see a sampler on here, I have tried the Vegas Gold and enjoyed, Relic i've been contemplating and am leaning more towards getting them as well. I'm also thinking of getting the medium sampler in the latest catalog as well.
    The gel works pretty well, we have a guy on here who knows his stuff(RUSIRIUS) who swears by the gel. Try it out for a while and see how it works for you. I prefer the Cigar Oasis but use beads in my smaller humis. However, I've never seen them live up to the claim that they will absorb excess humidity. IME they do seem to maintain humidity better than anything I've used but once the humidity climbs they have never brought it down, for me anyways.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    blustar4life:
    Ok, since i can't figure out how to do mulitple quotes.....I have humicare gel in it right now but am going to get beads I think and definately have a digital hygro. Oliva has been added to the list; I see a sampler on here, I have tried the Vegas Gold and enjoyed, Relic i've been contemplating and am leaning more towards getting them as well. I'm also thinking of getting the medium sampler in the latest catalog as well.
    The gel works pretty well, we have a guy on here who knows his stuff(RUSIRIUS) who swears by the gel. Try it out for a while and see how it works for you. I prefer the Cigar Oasis but use beads in my smaller humis. However, I've never seen them live up to the claim that they will absorb excess humidity. IME they do seem to maintain humidity better than anything I've used but once the humidity climbs they have never brought it down, for me anyways.
    the general advice out there is to have your beads about 70% charged. the dont soak up humidity at that rate. so during the summer i have mine at about 20% charged at all times. in the winter i bump it up to the 70%. my humi is pegged at 65% at all times.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    blustar4life:
    the general advice out there is to have your beads about 70% charged. the dont soak up humidity at that rate. so during the summer i have mine at about 20% charged at all times. in the winter i bump it up to the 70%. my humi is pegged at 65% at all times.
    No offense here kuzi but you live in Ohio, the humidity is nothign like it is here or in Houston. I stick the beads in bone dry and usually have to dry them out every couple of weeks and once that humidity creeps up even dry beads won't bring it back down I have to leave the humidor open under an AC vent until it comes down then close the humi with the completely dry beads in it and start the cycle over. AND all of this is inside my wine fridge if I left them sitting out, forget about it.
    why would i be offended by your weather? unless you caused it....

i used to live in cincinnati. its in a valley and the humidity there SUCKS. my dad uses beads and still has a hard time keeping it under 70%. and i gave him the 65% beads.
    kuzi16:
    why would i be offended by your weather? unless you caused it....

i used to live in cincinnati. its in a valley and the humidity there SUCKS. my dad uses beads and still has a hard time keeping it under 70%. and i gave him the 65% beads.
    I may have to switch to 65% beads. The sheets I just bought are 65%.
    i dont know what else to tell ya. i mean, if had problems with my humidity using beds before i wouldnt be all giddy over em.

another thought is that you (and others) may just have to settle for an acceptable range. im good with +/- 2% in my humi, though i never have a difference of 1% in either direction. if i do have a 1% difference then thats my signal to charge/discharge accordingly.
    kuzi16:
    i dont know what else to tell ya. i mean, if had problems with my humidity using beds before i wouldnt be all giddy over em.

another thought is that you (and others) may just have to settle for an acceptable range. im good with +/- 2% in my humi, though i never have a difference of 1% in either direction. if i do have a 1% difference then thats my signal to charge/discharge accordingly.
    I have settled on an acceptable range. 67-70, it just takes a lot of work in the summer. The rest of the year everythign holds perfectly.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    blustar4life:
    So I am admiring my new 120 ct humi as it goes through the seasoning process when I realize it looks sad and lonely. so to make it happy i need to load it up w/ some good sticks. and since I am relatively new to the leaf I decided to see what all everyone would fill it with or recomend. right now I am in the experimental stage; but one cigar i do enjoy is the Nub line. thanks for your help.

Since your new I would reccomend the CCOM house sampler ...this will give you a idea of a wide range of flavors and is easy on the budget so you can then decide what you like and start branching out from there ...
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    vankleekkw:
    Yeah, but read the reviews on the forums themselves...not how the product is described on the item page. Because if you read the ghurka product descriptions youd swear you were about to smoke tobacco cultivated in the clouds of heaven itself.

Reviews from just the regular joe's around here will likely give you a better idea of expectations, and often opinions on certain blends share equal positive remarks or equal negative remarks, giving you a good idea of what to expect. I.E. As was stated 5 Vegas has a pretty good fan following on this forum, same with Oliva, same with sol cubano, depending on the blend, padilla etc.

And yeah im with g, the ccom house blends are well made, id suggest a super sampler. A little bit of everything in there, and enough that you can make some good decisions on what you like.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Also, you might want to gradually increase the strength of your smokes. For somebody new, I'd look and try to get different flavor profiles so you can see the real difference in the cigars. Try a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic and a Montecristo Media Noche to see the difference. Stuff like that. Read guys bios here and check out their favorites.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:
    Don't listen to him, he's a White Sox fan ... They just got beat by 19 by the Twinkies AND got turned down by Peavy in the same day.
    Way to kick a guy while he's down.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've had a good experience with the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur No. I or Epicure and the Nubs (just tried a Nub w/ Cameroon wrapper for the first time last night - loved that thing)
  • bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    I've had this question myself. think i'll pickup a ccom sampler - they look tasty.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    bnccna2:
    I've had this question myself. think i'll pickup a ccom sampler - they look tasty.
    That'd be my recommendation...I'm also a fan of the COTMC...great way to try new sticks every month.
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:
    :) ... just giving you a hard time. I'm an O's fan not like we're doing much better.
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:
    :) ... just giving you a hard time. I'm an O's fan not like we're doing much better.

Didn't know you were a O's fan Maddy !!! Glad to have some company for once ...I was born in Baltimore and been a lifer for the O's although I've lived in NC most of my life. That said I think McPhail has us on the right track its just painful watching the youngsters grow up. But I do think we are so close to turning the corner ...Thoughts ...
    I grew up here in Virginia Beach and until recently with the Nats, the O's were the closest thing. I've always believed in rooting for the local team. My dad always took me to a few games a year in Baltimore. I've always followed the Mets as well because our Triple A team here in town was always a Mets affiliate(I got to see Doc Gooden and Daryl Strawberry come up) until last year, they are now the AAA team for Baltimore. :)

I don't know about the O's, it seems we have a lot of young talent but I don't know the most promise player we have is behind home plate down here in Norfolk. We should have made a stronger run at Texeira.
    I think Weiters got the call-up today. Should be in Baltimore by Friday woohoo!!! Yeah its frustrating watching the pitchers come and go. I do believe if they show a good second half and the pitching settles down a bit and we find one or two guys with big league potential this year then next year we will make a splash in free agency. I prayed we would get Texiera but I think McPhail thought we were still a year away from anything competively. I think if it plays out that way we will go after one big name free agent pitcher and a younger slugger at first base. Then I think we go younger at third base as well.
    Dammit I wanted to get to a Tides game before they called him up!