Home General Discussion

Humidors Any recommendations ??

Been a while since I posted, but I'm now looking for a good midsized humidor. Any recommendations, since I work for the Army and "travel" alot I need one thats pretty sturdy. I use a pelican case ( small ) for week long trips and a herfador for the weekenders. Now I need one for home. I live at APO AE 09042 ( Heidelberg) so I can shop EU or Conus.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Well let me say this first. Forgot about the midsized, get the biggest one you can afford.

Second humidors are very personal, its hard to recommend one. I personally like a lot of glass on mine, others don't want any glass on theirs. Just look around and get the one you like. Just look at the way it seals and the thickness of the cedar, the best you can online anyways.
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I have the havanna foot locker and i love it if you google it you should be able to find it holds about 300 thats what it really holds says 400 but that is not right.
    smokester:
    I have the havanna foot locker and i love it if you google it you should be able to find it holds about 300 thats what it really holds says 400 but that is not right.
    Thats a good point to bring up for anyone who is looking for a humidor. The ratings that manufacturers list(i.e. 75 count) are typically based on Corona sized cigars. So unless you have nothing but Coronas and smalled you will not get that many cigars in there. Also if you are using a passive humidification system(everything except the cigar oasis is passive, the beads ARE passive) you are not supposed to fill your humi more than 3/4 full. 2/3 is supposedly optimal.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    madurofan:
    smokester:
    Thats a good point to bring up for anyone who is looking for a humidor. The ratings that manufacturers list(i.e. 75 count) are typically based on Corona sized cigars. So unless you have nothing but Coronas and smalled you will not get that many cigars in there. Also if you are using a passive humidification system(everything except the cigar oasis is passive, the beads ARE passive) you are not supposed to fill your humi more than 3/4 full. 2/3 is supposedly optimal.

Now see there , learn something new everyday, I had never heard the 2/3 full rule---thanks Maddy
    Me neither just learned something new always do everyday on this site.
    j/w how do you do multiple quotes.
    Sure thing gene. Now that you know the rule, I will tell you my humidors are always 7/8 full lol.
    smokester:
    j/w how do you do multiple quotes.
    You mean like gmill just did? Just hit quote on a post that already has a quote in it.
    thanks.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    2/3 full with the recommended amount of beads, right? If you throw a lot of beads in it it should be able to handle it, I would think.
    nsezell:
    2/3 full with the recommended amount of beads, right? If you throw a lot of beads in it it should be able to handle it, I would think.
    The rule has nothign to do with beads. Its a generic humidor maintenance rule. The problem with over filling it is recovery time and air circulation.
    having a fan in your humi can help with circulation and distributing the humidity out evenly.
    smokester:
    having a fan in your humi can help with circulation and distributing the humidity out evenly.
    Indeed.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I didn't mean just beads, I meant if you have heavy humidification, it will recover quicker. I actually have found that when I stock a full humi, the sticks kinda help hold the humidity constant, cause they don't dry out right away when you open it.
    madurofan:
    Sure thing gene. Now that you know the rule, I will tell you my humidors are always 7/8 full lol.

Yeah I'm sitting here just imagining my humis at home their all at least 4/5 full...damn cigar deals everwhere you look ...and then the shops ...and then friends ...Looks like I need a cabinet LOL
    Thats the other half of the theory you need to keep it AT LEAST 2/3 full to maintain a proper humidity.
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

Yeah I'm sitting here just imagining my humis at home their all at least 4/5 full...damn cigar deals everwhere you look ...and then the shops ...and then friends ...Looks like I need a cabinet LOL
    Or a cooler :)
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

Or a cooler :)

Yeah a cooler is more obtainable right now than a cabinet ...