Home General Discussion

Question about cigar oasis?

I am looking at getting one of these and was wondering if it will work in my Havanna foot locker. I know they have a skinny strip that allows it to go under the lid without ruining the seal my question is how long is this strip. Is it long enough to where i can have it sitting at the bottom of my foot locker thanks.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I think the strip is about 8 - 9 inches long. I built a little pedestal for mine in the coolerdors. the pedestal is made of spanish cedar and allows cigars to sit underneath and around the oasis but keeps them from sitting on top of it so that the air can circulate.
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Ya thats what i was thinking about doing i have a divider that came with it and i was thinking about cutting that and sliding it sideways to make a little shelf.
    smokester:
    Ya thats what i was thinking about doing i have a divider that came with it and i was thinking about cutting that and sliding it sideways to make a little shelf.
    Cigar smoking almost always leads to carpentry.
    Haha one of me and my friends project we want to do is build a cabinet humidor we will see if that happens. The only thing that is stopping me from getting one right now is the price just kinda expensive for my budget at a 100 dollars.
    I've been contemplating building a cabinet for a while. The only thing holding me back is these Va Beach summers. I need to stick with the fridgeadors.

What are you currently using as humidification and is it doing ok or having a hard time keeping up?
    I am using beads and they are working great the only thing i like about the cigar oasis is that i would not have to worry about it since i am going on a lot of trips this summer. Its just the convenience factor.
    smokester:
    I am using beads and they are working great the only thing i like about the cigar oasis is that i would not have to worry about it since i am going on a lot of trips this summer. Its just the convenience factor.
    Not sure how humid it is where you are but to be honest with you, in the summer the cigar oasis is more work than the beads. In the winter its great but in the summer you need somethign that will stabilize your humidor more than you need somethign that will supply additional humidity. In the summer my coolerador has the oasis and beads.
    Its pretty dang humid in houston really so it does not hold the humidity well? Wont it just stay at the humidity that you put it at.
    No there is nothing in it to absorb excess humidity.
    Could you just put some uncharged beads in to soak up the excess.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    How about Boveda Packs ?
    smokester:
    Could you just put some uncharged beads in to soak up the excess.
    Thats what I do. Like I said in another post though, I haven't had a ton of success with the beads absorbing excess humidity, they do a good job at maintaining a humidity. IME if you stick 70% beads in a humidor thats currently at 75%, even if the beads are completely uncharged they will not bring it down to 70%. However, if you stick 70% beads in a humi thats currently at 70%, they do a good job at keeping it at 70%.
    My cooler has the cigar oasis on one side and 4 ounces of beads on the other, it stay pretty consistent between 67 and 70.
    gmill880:
    How about Boveda Packs ?
    Those are AWESOME, they just get expensive. Thats what I used when I first bought a humidor and they held 72% right on the money all the time but you are just constantly buying them.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    How about Boveda Packs ?
    Those are AWESOME, they just get expensive. Thats what I used when I first bought a humidor and they held 72% right on the money all the time but you are just constantly buying them.

Yeah I've got 69's in my humi's...3 for every 50 cigars...holds absolutely steady at 67-68 ...I love 'em just like you said can be a little expensive...maybe they'll come down in price one of these days
    gmill880:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    How about Boveda Packs ?

Yeah I've got 69's in my humi's...3 for every 50 cigars...holds absolutely steady at 67-68 ...I love 'em just like you said can be a little expensive...maybe they'll come down in price one of these days
    I always wondered why you couldn't buy those things in bulk. Supposedly if you leave them in the plastic they are good for like two years. So if you bought them 50 at a time ... you know?