Home Cigar 101

Too humid even without humification unit

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
Been a while since Ive posted because life has been INCREDIBLY busy (good, though), and I went to check on my cigars today, and one of my prized sticks looks like it might have some mold on it. My humidity is at 73, which is WAY too hhigh but I dont even have a humidification unit in there. What to do?!

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any humi beads? If you do, you might try putting them in dry. They may pull the humidity down. Other options are crackers or desiccant.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Dry beads, dry cedar sticks, open humi cover with a matchbook and let air out slowly. Any thing you can do to slowly draw that moisture out.
    First choice would be beads though, they are "Set it and Forget it" kind of things
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do people do who live in damp places? Easy to say open the box and let it air out; but if the air out is even damper, what? All crackers all the time?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    What do people do who live in damp places? Easy to say open the box and let it air out; but if the air out is even damper, what? All crackers all the time?

You need beads then. They take moisture out of the air, and you can dry them with a hair dryer. The more you buy the longer you can go in-between dryings. Beads only take in moisture when it's above their rating (i.e. above 70%Rh) so when it gets to your desired Rh, they stop sucking in the moisture. And if your ambient is constantly raising the Rh, the beads work whenever they have to to suck out the moisture. Once they get mostly clear you dry them out and repeat.
    webmost:

I live in an area where the humidity is regularly 80%+. Beads are the most efficient way to go. I use 65% beads and they work well.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    So if I go looking for beads, what do I ask for? Haven't seen any on the shelves.

Here, Winter is dry enough; but Summer is frequently thick.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    get beads or just throw in a boveda pack and walk away like a boss.
    webmost:
    So if I go looking for beads, what do I ask for? Haven't seen any on the shelves.

Here, Winter is dry enough; but Summer is frequently thick.

There was a thread before where a B&M did not know what Beads were... You will most likely have to go online for your beads. Heartfelt Industries 65% beads are what I use, and I know that someone will link to other beads that are just as good, but a tad cheaper.
    Thanks. I will call my geek now and ask about Heartfelt Beads.

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Here are the "beads" I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb-Cats/12018928
    I've so far managed to avoid urinating on it everytime I open the cooler, so they maintain RH% from 68%-72% for the last 6 months. Same thing as the beads, except that the beads are generally larger fragments of silica gel.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed heartfelt or boveda!! Sometimes you can add the silica packs to lower slowly but it's hard! I have the same problem but I use boveda 69's for the most part and they hole at 70 but in the smoking humi I'll add silica packs and try to keep it around 65-67rh
    Money can't buy taste
    Talked to my geek. He recommends uncooked rice.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    webmost:

I've heard of putting uncooked rice in salt and pepper shakers to absorb any unwanted moisture, but not in regards to humidor maintenance. I'd imagine it would work, but my worry would be the moistened rice growing mold...that would be my worry with anything organic for that matter. Maybe it works just fine...personally, I'd stick with silica beads simply because I'm familiar and comfortable with them. If you try the rice, let us know how it works for you.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    webmost:

I've heard of putting uncooked rice in salt and pepper shakers to absorb any unwanted moisture, but not in regards to humidor maintenance. I'd imagine it would work, but my worry would be the moistened rice growing mold...that would be my worry with anything organic for that matter. Maybe it works just fine...personally, I'd stick with silica beads simply because I'm familiar and comfortable with them. If you try the rice, let us know how it works for you.
    DRY BEADS, do not charge them as they are already charged and just let them do what they do.
    webmost:

While that will work for a bit, I don't recommend it.
    I'm bothered that someone would recommend uncooked rice, because how are you going to regulate it?
    And as was mentioned, rice is organic and very susceptible to mold.
    VERY susceptible. I don't know about you, but I won't risk my cigars to that.
    As was stated, 65% beads is the best way to go. You set it and forget it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Rice? Why risk it when they make stuff that is 100% for cigars.
    0patience:
    webmost:

I'm bothered that someone would recommend uncooked rice, because how are you going to regulate it?
    Guys, relax. I'm not trying to regulate it. I'm not going to leave it in there long enough to mold. I just want to pull out the damp that I introduced when I put in wet sticks from Otter's Pocket. Rice in, dry out, rice out.

webmost:
    0patience:
    webmost:

Guys, relax. I'm not trying to regulate it. I'm not going to leave it in there long enough to mold. I just want to pull out the damp that I introduced when I put in wet sticks from Otter's Pocket. Rice in, dry out, rice out.

You might also try salt in a little bowl as it will also absorb moisture quickly and won't mold.
    Salt image

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Salt image
    Oh snap! Is that a foam humidifier I see? I'd change that if it is.Oh and what's that book there? Looks right up my alley.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Put couple of cedar paper sheets. It sucks the humidity. If still doesn't work then you need to take your cigars out and keep the humidor open for few days but the weather need to be dry for this method.
    oldsoulrevival:
    Been a while since Ive posted because life has been INCREDIBLY busy (good, though), and I went to check on my cigars today, and one of my prized sticks looks like it might have some mold on it. My humidity is at 73, which is WAY too hhigh but I dont even have a humidification unit in there. What to do?!
    rzaman:
    Put couple of cedar paper sheets. It sucks the humidity. If still doesn't work then you need to take your cigars out and keep the humidor open for few days but the weather need to be dry for this method. !
    Here in the Mid-Atlantic Region, which is where you can find the pint sized state of Dull-Aware (use a detailed map and the bottom of a glass Coke bottle -- it's there) we have a recurrent phenomenon which, as a SoCal boy born and bred, I am certain is unfamiliar to many of you out West. We call it green.

Now don't be fooled. I don't mean the kind of green where you pump water six hundred miles and sprinkle a fifth acre patch of fescue in order to delude yourselves you do not live in a bleak blasted wasteland. No, I mean verdant. Naturally green. All the time. Summer too.

I know. I didn't believe it either when I first moved here. But I can assure you, it's true.

Here's how the phenomenon occurs: Every day in Summer it hot and stuffy. The stuff in that stuffy is water. The water comes from rivers No again, not a V shaped cement culvert with graffitti on the sides and a couple discarded tires in the bottom, but rivers big enough for ships to sail up. Dull-Aware a quarter of a sandbar between two such rivers, the Delaware and the Chesapeake. Merryland and Virginia own the rest of the sand bar. The water table is approximately one cowboy boot heel below grade. Heat sucks up all this water, stuffs the air, energy builds up, and sure as shooting thunder and lightning break out, and then it ours. No, not just a couple driplets which leave a mark on your sunglasses, but real frog stranglers and bucket chuckers. It's that water which, flowing back to the rivers, makes the place green. Then the sun sucks it up, and we start all over again.

All of which is by way of saying that, no, tjhat won't work, because this morning it is 76 with 95% humidibbititty and raining. Which is SOP, here in verdant Dull-Aware.

Tell you what: I'll ship my humidor to you, you take out one stick for me, and ship tjhe box back. I don't want to open the box here. Go ahead and smopke the stick, cause it would be drenched by the time you shipped it back. Tell me what it smoked like, and I will get wistful.

Best I can do.

How is the salt working for you?
    laker1963:
    Down a couple points. 96% RH outside today. 70% in the box. The box is good and tight, I can tell you that. They tapered the lid **** and you can hear and feel it whoosh when youopen or close.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    NINETY FRIGGIN SIX PERCENT RH outside?!?!?!? PLEASE tell me its raining there - SHEESH!!!

webmost:
    laker1963:
    Down a couple points. 96% RH outside today. 70% in the box. The box is good and tight, I can tell you that. They tapered the lid **** and you can hear and feel it whoosh when youopen or close.
    Sounds like you are doing OK now. If I were you I would be keeping as many beads in that humi as I could get. Do NOT charge them! Sounds like your danger time is behind you now.
    The Sniper:
    NINETY FRIGGIN SIX PERCENT RH outside?!?!?!? PLEASE tell me its raining there - SHEESH!!!

Frog stranglers interspersed with drizzle.

Finally got a drier day yesterday. Opened her up, pulled the tray, and aired her out.Sittin at 65 now. See if that holds. Gotta find someone round here who sells beads.