Home Cigar 101

Seasoning Speed

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Quick question. I just started seasoning my new humi today, using the Boveda seasoning packs. These things are supposed to take to 85ish precent RH in about two weeks. It has been half a day and my humi is at 70RH. I live in Central Texas, if that helps at all. Is my situation strange, and what is the fastest you've ever seasoned a humi?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Quick question. I just started seasoning my new humi today, using the Boveda seasoning packs. These things are supposed to take to 85ish precent RH in about two weeks. It has been half a day and my humi is at 70RH. I live in Central Texas, if that helps at all. Is my situation strange, and what is the fastest you've ever seasoned a humi?
    Fastest I've done is about 3-4 days. No matter what I would wait until it gets OVER your desired %Rh and then put your beads, gels or whatever into it and then when it goes down to your required %Rh then you can put your sticks in. Just remember the sticks themselves have an %Rh as well, so when you put all your 'gars in the humi the %Rh will fluctuate as well. Keep an eye on it if you need to use more or less humidification after you add your cigars.
    And to answer your other question, no, your situation isn't strange. Just make sure that they wood is soaking in the moisture so don't add cigars until a good number of days pass.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Not odd at all, and I'd guess if you put smokes in it would drop dramatically as it is not seasoned yet. Be patient...that's the best advice.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Not odd at all, and I'd guess if you put smokes in it would drop dramatically as it is not seasoned yet. Be patient...that's the best advice.
    Which leads me to a question ;) Is the reason the seasoning packets come at 85%RH because when I put the regular boveda packets in (which are rated at 70%RG) plus my cigars it will bring it down? I'm still trying to figure out why else it seasons it at 85. Hope that makes sense.
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    Which leads me to a question ;) Is the reason the seasoning packets come at 85%RH because when I put the regular boveda packets in (which are rated at 70%RG) plus my cigars it will bring it down? I'm still trying to figure out why else it seasons it at 85. Hope that makes sense.
    Never used Boveda, but my experince is the rh spikes for a few days then slowly comes down and stabilizes. I'd just follow the instructions, they make a good product. I would put the 70 packs in, 65 is my taste, and wait a day or two then put my smokes in. It will drop when you add smokes, but if seasoned well it will bounce back overnight.
    The 85's ARE built for speed. the more moisture now, the faster your ambient goes up and then you let it settle down. If you put 70's in it would take longer to get to 70 and your seasoning would take longer
    Lasabar:
    The 85's ARE built for speed. the more moisture now, the faster your ambient goes up and then you let it settle down. If you put 70's in it would take longer to get to 70 and your seasoning would take longer
    Do I have the right idea, IE get it to 85, throw in 70's AND cigars? Or is it get it to 85, throw in 70s wait and put in the gars? The directions are a little vague, thanks!
    Rain:
    Lasabar:
    Do I have the right idea, IE get it to 85, throw in 70's AND cigars? Or is it get it to 85, throw in 70s wait and put in the gars? The directions are a little vague, thanks!
    Get it to 85 first I'd imagine. You do not want to use the 70's until the humi has soaked up the rh from the 85. The 70 will stabilize it, I'd say 1-2 days, then put your sticks in. You need to let it soak up the 85 for a while though.
    Alright, thanks. I figure (like you said), better to take too long then to throw in my sticks and ruin them.
    Rain:
    Lasabar:
    Hit 85, put in your 70, wait till it gets to 70 and is stable (i.e. you open the humi and it recovers fairly quickly to 70 after it's closed), once it's stable, put your cigars in.... enjoy
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    my new humi has been at 73 for about a week,(after peaking at 84 for a day or 2) my wife said to me today, are you ever gonna use this thing!! i said yup and proceeded to put in my sticks! so far so good! used the shallow bowl of distilled water, and added heartfelt tubes, its been about 3 weeks from start until now
    reggie713:
    my new humi has been at 73 for about a week,(after peaking at 84 for a day or 2) my wife said to me today, are you ever gonna use this thing!! i said yup and proceeded to put in my sticks! so far so good! used the shallow bowl of distilled water, and added heartfelt tubes, its been about 3 weeks from start until now
    Depending on your relationship, your mileage may vary, but if my fianc
    Well, after shooting up to 79%RH, there it has sat for the past two days, so it seems to have evened out.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you've removed the bowl of destilled water. If your humidity is still over 70% and you still got the water in there I'd remove it.
    ! I was under the impression that with the boveda packets you did not use water.