Home Cigar 101

Tough draw....

Hey guys, I had my first experience with draw problems last night. I headed out to do some yardwork, lit up a stick and to quote the Gunny from Full Metal Jacket, I felt like I was trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Any fixes out there for this? I got about 1/2 way through and gave up on it. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    They make a device called a Draw Poker for this problem, costs about $25. Truth be known though, you can accomplish the same thing with a straightened out paper clip. Just take the paper clip and push it into the head of the cigar as far as you can without piercing the wrapper of the cigar or making it all the way to the cherry(if you hit the cherry it will knock it off). Do this 2 or 3 times to try to loosen the draw. This won't alway work but it does more than half the time.
  • Thanks Maddy. I could tell on the pre-light draw that it was going to be a ***, next time I run into that I'll give your suggestion a try.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    what is the cherry?  I tried search and yahoo, but only came up with flavor responses and cherrywood humi's...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nsezell:
    what is the cherry?  I tried search and yahoo, but only came up with flavor responses and cherrywood humi's...
    the lit ember on the cigar while smoking

instead of a draw poker i use an un bent paper clip.

...way cheaper.
    also...

when you clip the cigar, do a draw test before lighting. if it has a herd draw throw it back in the humi. time has a way of helping a hard draw out.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    OH, the cherry.  I had a different mental image, lol.  If I clip my stick and then throw it back in the humi, is there a downside to that?
    nsezell:
    OH, the cherry.  I had a different mental image, lol.  If I clip my stick and then throw it back in the humi, is there a downside to that?
    Kuzi and I disagree on this so I'll give you my opinion, he can give you his if he so chooses.
    I never, ever, ever, under any circumstances put a cigar back in my humi after I have clipped the end. They put a cap on the end of a cigar for a reason and its not just to hold the wrapper on. I have been told by people in the industry that this will cause a cigar to dry out.
    kuzi16:
    nsezell:

...way cheaper.
    Come on dude read my post, thats what I said, lol.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    nsezell:

...way cheaper.
    ... and the worst part of it all is ... I NEVER LEARNED TO READ!!

my bad. i have one clipped cigar in my humidor. it doesnt feel dry. i dont know why it would dry out.... i mean, its in 65% humidity. it can only get that dry in that environment.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    nsezell:

...way cheaper.
    ... and the worst part of it all is ... I NEVER LEARNED TO READ!!

my bad. i have one clipped cigar in my humidor. it doesnt feel dry. i dont know why it would dry out.... i mean, its in 65% humidity. it can only get that dry in that environment.
    I was just giving you a hard time about the paper clip. After all I originally stole the idea from you and now a couple of paper clips stay near my cutter and lighter.

I don't understand the theory completely either but I've just been warned repeatedly not to and the one time I did it anyways the cigar cracked on me as soon as I gave it a little squueze.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Pay close attention when using the old paperclip ...I did this once while talking to a smoking buddy and knocked a hole in the side before I even realized it ...
  • FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

No idea how many times I have poked a hole in the wrapper no matter how carefull I have been. When it happens I just put a small piece of scotch tape on it until the burn gets close to the tape. The heat from the cigar allows it to come off without ripping the wrapper.

Dan

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Personally, I just roll the cigar from head to foot while applying a little pressure to loosen it up....

Works on the ladies as well, haha!
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    cholmes8310:
    Personally, I just roll the cigar from head to foot while applying a little pressure to loosen it up.... Works on the ladies as well, haha!
    Well played sir! I actually have used the paper clip trick once myself and it worked Ok.....not great, but it certainly helped. I was smoking an Oliva G perfecto (not the small one) and it just had the tightest draw and it was not getting any better about a third of the way through. Just be very, very carful and straighten the paper clip out as much as you can so you don't poke a hole in the side.