Home Cigar 101

Most popular cigars within community?

Hi Guys, As some of you seen in my last thread im a noobie, so id like to see what seems to be the favorite cigars amongst this community, is there 1 or 2 cigars that generally most people here will always have a 1 or 2 of? My first order to get me started is the one stop sampler, the cusano ashtray sampler and the ultimate connoisseurs collection. I also have my eyes closely on the cabanas in the luxury collection, any comments on those? Hopefully within my order theres a few favorites and i find a couple i like. I know everyone has a different taste but im sure theres a few fan favorites out there, a must have in the collection type, im sure theres many but what seems to be this communitys no 1 and 2 cigars? Thanks guys!

Comments

• reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i too am a noob, and i started with the connoisseurs collection, some good smokes in there, i got gifted (read bombed) a man o war or 2, and find myself wanting more! enjoy the forums! theres a really good group of guys here
  • reggie713:
    i too am a noob, and i started with the connoisseurs collection, some good smokes in there, i got gifted (read bombed) a man o war or 2, and find myself wanting more! enjoy the forums! theres a really good group of guys here
    Hey thanks, the collection comes with one Man o' War armada so im excited about that!
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592

Mr. Fernandez is popular here.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Depends on which community, forum you are on, as scarlin suggests there are many fans of a.j. here. I would say you would be safe in trying any major brand : fuente, padron, tatuaje, liga privada or my father, really too many to name, good times we live in!. I would start small, see what strength and flavors you like and then explore more.
  • Thank you. I have a question, i know cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are 2 completely different things. But would most cigar smokers here, tend to be like a cigarette smoker in the sense of using one type of cigar all the time. Or different cigars all the time? When do you guys usually smoke? With a drink, after dinner, troughout the day etc etc? I am smoker, and i intend to cut down to quitting while using cigars as a sort of replacement you know.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    Thank you. I have a question, i know cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are 2 completely different things. But would most cigar smokers here, tend to be like a cigarette smoker in the sense of using one type of cigar all the time. Or different cigars all the time? When do you guys usually smoke? With a drink, after dinner, troughout the day etc etc? I am smoker, and i intend to cut down to quitting while using cigars as a sort of replacement you know.
    cigars are not a replacement for cigarettes in any way. the differences are way more than most imagine. from creation, to nicotine delivery, to frequency everything is different.

if youw ant to get into cigars because you think cigars are cool then im all about it. however, if you are looking to get into cigars as a cigarette alternative you will be disappointed.

just my $0.02
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    realizment:
    Thank you. I have a question, i know cigar smoking and cigarette smoking are 2 completely different things. But would most cigar smokers here, tend to be like a cigarette smoker in the sense of using one type of cigar all the time. Or different cigars all the time? When do you guys usually smoke? With a drink, after dinner, troughout the day etc etc? I am smoker, and i intend to cut down to quitting while using cigars as a sort of replacement you know.
    I always love trying new things.... only ever bought one box recently because someone would share it with me. I love samplers. So, NO no one cigar for me.

I always and only smoke in the evenings after dinner and always have something to drink ranging from water to ice tea to bourbon to iced coffee to diet coke.

Cant help much with the cigarette thing since I never smoked them.

Oh, and to your first question, my favorite cigar changes almost weekly. CURRENT favorites are MoW Puro, Diesel Unlimited, or Gran Habano Vintage 2002.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    when I did smoke cigarettes I quite by using durham black cloves.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you want a great cigar look no further then the padron anny's!! Bot th natural and maduro are excellent!! As far as a more budget wise I really enjoy a mow little devil and the new partagas 1845. As for replacing cigs with cigars good luck!! Cigars take at least a hour to smoke and are for the the taste. Cigs are just for nicotine IMO I smoke both and am trying to quit cigs so my pallet is better for cigars.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    chemforever:
    Depends on which community, forum you are on, as scarlin suggests there are many fans of a.j. here. I would say you would be safe in trying any major brand : fuente, padron, tatuaje, liga privada or my father, really too many to name, good times we live in!. I would start small, see what strength and flavors you like and then explore more.
    +1
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Number 1 cigar would be whichever one tastes best to you. I know that is supremely unhelpful, but cigars are meant to be enjoyed, not endured...so try a lot, find what you like...and smoke those.

It's the same with any hobby. Whisky is one that comes to mind. I know intellectually that Pappy Van Winkle is a "better bourbon" than my Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (except, maybe the 1996 birthday)...but I like the Birthday better, and will buy it over Pappy if forced to choose.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Undercrown, ruination, diesel, my father, padron 2000, camacho corojo, DPG white/blue/blk, man of war puro authentico. All of those come to mind when you ask about common smokes you see here.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Check out the Ashton VSG. Also, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amore is another good one. The Oliva V will melt the stress of the day away and is one that I can smoke for the rest of my life.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Agreement on this thread?? LOLOLOLO...........
    I think most would agree that the higher end cigars (Padron, My Fathers' Fuentes, Davidoff, etc) are all good. I started by smoking every stick that went past my nose. I love variety. I have narrowed this down over the years, but I still like having 6 - 10 different sticks in my humidor at any given time. Personally, I'll never smoke the same cigar in a row. I need the variety. I also like to have several different levels. Yard/work cigars, evening with a drink cigars, special moment cigars, etc. And I can't wait to try the wares of the next famous blender to come along. Never limit your taste buds.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Actually I would recommend buying the ccom 2011 awards samplers. You can get good smokes at great prices and a wide array of the stuff people like. While I may not like all of them, those samplers all have good selection
  • Thanks for all the great input guys. I know cigars are not a replacement to cigarettes at all. but i do think it might help cut back on the smokes. especially if it takes an hour to smoke 1 cigar. sometimes i smoke 4 cigarettes in an hour. Thanks again...
    realizment:
    Thanks for all the great input guys. I know cigars are not a replacement to cigarettes at all. but i do think it might help cut back on the smokes. especially if it takes an hour to smoke 1 cigar. sometimes i smoke 4 cigarettes in an hour. Thanks again...
    since the nicotine delivery is different you may feel the urge to smoke while you smoke.
    i cant, and wont, tell you what to do, but if you want to cut down on cigarettes cigars probably wont help
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    realizment:
    Thanks for all the great input guys. I know cigars are not a replacement to cigarettes at all. but i do think it might help cut back on the smokes. especially if it takes an hour to smoke 1 cigar. sometimes i smoke 4 cigarettes in an hour. Thanks again...
    since the nicotine delivery is different you may feel the urge to smoke while you smoke.
    ............... if you want to cut down on cigarettes, cigars probably wont help
    I know THAT for a fact...
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    realizment:
    i cant, and wont, tell you what to do, but if you want to cut down on cigarettes cigars probably wont help
    Well, I hate to disagree with Prof. Kuzi, but I smoked about a pack per week (which isnt much, but it was everyday after work) and since Ive started with cigars, I havent touched a cigarette in over a year!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    mmccartneydc:
    kuzi16:
    realizment:
    Well, I hate to disagree with Prof. Kuzi, but I smoked about a pack per week (which isnt much, but it was everyday after work) and since Ive started with cigars, I havent touched a cigarette in over a year!
    I smoke 1 - 2 cigs in the mornings for about a year. I wanted that early morning nicotine rush and really don't want to light a cigar that early. Then quit cold turkey.
    then you two are in the minority.
    ive seen too many people try this and fail.
    to each their own.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    seeing as this thread went off in a different direction I figure I'll throw some input into the pot. I used to smoke cigs regularly for a short time (about 2 years). I ended up quitting because of impact on my workouts, and it just became nasty. After having stopped for a few years I am no smoking cigars, which I feared might make me want to smoke a cig more often! I have no such craving though. I do crave a cigar sometimes, but it's a different kind of craving. The cigs were much more addicting I would say. I can still smoke a cig at the bar with the gf or something and have no cravings. This isn't meant to sway you in any way as there is nothing decisive about my experience with the two. Just my experience ( I find it a bit strange myself).
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    IMO cigar cravings are closer to a to the feeling of wanting a certain food and not like the jittery "gotta have my cigarette" craving.
  • bbass2:
    IMO cigar cravings are closer to a to the feeling of wanting a certain food and not like the jittery "gotta have my cigarette" craving.
    +1
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Agreement on this thread?? LOLOLOLO...........
    I think most would agree that the higher end cigars (Padron, My Fathers' Fuentes, Davidoff, etc) are all good. I started by smoking every stick that went past my nose. I love variety. I have narrowed this down over the years, but I still like having 6 - 10 different sticks in my humidor at any given time. Personally, I'll never smoke the same cigar in a row. I need the variety. I also like to have several different levels. Yard/work cigars, evening with a drink cigars, special moment cigars, etc. And I can't wait to try the wares of the next famous blender to come along. Never limit your taste buds.

I'm in agreement with Beatnic regarding variety, I rarely smoke the same cigar twice in a row. Different smokes for different occasions, moments, etc.
    As to the cigarette question, I can tell you how I did it.

First: quit smoking cigarettes.
    Then: smoke cigars carefully, as cigars, and break your cigarette habits, eg; inhaling, gotta smoke while driving, after eating, on the commode, during arguements, et al. Lastly: If you do find yourself smoking a cigarette, use your cigar techniques, then quit
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • realizment:
    As some of you seen in my last thread im a noobie, so id like to see what seems to be the favorite cigars amongst this community, is there 1 or 2 cigars that generally most people here will always have a 1 or 2 of?
    You MUST be new to cigars. Most guys who have established favorites keep 1 or 2 BOXES on hand (at minimum!) Though I keep a much smaller inventory than most, I tend to at least keep a fiver of my favorites on hand! :D You won't find me without the following in my humi, though generally it will only be a couple of each: Liga Privada No. 9 Tatuaje 7th Reserva Tatuaje Petit Black Lancero Oliva V 601 Blue Ramon Bueso Genesis PDR Oscuro Padron x000 maduros Padron Anniversary maduros Fuente Anejo 46 PDR 1878 maduro I think the three brands I see everyone (myself included) raving about are Liga Privada, Tatuaje, and Fuente, though Padron and Oliva are often thrown in there as well. Though perhaps here at cigar.com results may differ...
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    bigjohn125:
    bbass2:
    +1
    That was a good way to sum up what I was shooting for! +2
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    realizment:
    Hi Guys, As some of you seen in my last thread im a noobie, so id like to see what seems to be the favorite cigars amongst this community, is there 1 or 2 cigars that generally most people here will always have a 1 or 2 of? My first order to get me started is the one stop sampler, the cusano ashtray sampler and the ultimate connoisseurs collection. I also have my eyes closely on the cabanas in the luxury collection, any comments on those? Hopefully within my order theres a few favorites and i find a couple i like. I know everyone has a different taste but im sure theres a few fan favorites out there, a must have in the collection type, im sure theres many but what seems to be this communitys no 1 and 2 cigars? Thanks guys!
    I was never a cigarette smoker, so I'll just address the original post, since I have no input on hoe the two go together.

But most cigar smokers these days carry several different favorites in their humidors at all times and usually have a small section of singels of sticks that are on their "to - try" list, and thats where the fun starts. Most don't stick with just one or two favorites.

As for brands to follow, and or favorite brands of the forum, those seem to changes a lot, but I know that a lot of folks like myself tend to follow blenders rather than brands, as a lot of blenders will blend for differnt brands yet give off similar flavor caracteristics so you know what to expect once you find out who blended something.

AJ Fernandez has already been mentioned, but some other favorite blenders of mine are Don Pepin Garcia, Christian Eiroa, Kelner and EP Carillo. All of these guys seem to have their hands in more brands than just the ones under their own name, so I have my favorites and when I want to try something new I check out what those guys ar einvolved in first becuase I know I'll like it.

Anyway welcome to the forums realizement and get to smoking as much as you can so you can start to build up your likes and dislikes. Samplers are great in the beginning.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Actually I would recommend buying the ccom 2011 awards samplers. You can get good smokes at great prices and a wide array of the stuff people like. While I may not like all of them, those samplers all have good selection
    Samplers are a great way to try different sticks/blenders,etc... When I got started I was a sampler ho.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Wow, have you totally hit it on the head with this one. I've never smoke cigarettes (too many smokers in my family dying of lung cancer to ever risk this), and I limit myself to one cigar a week, but you're absolutely right--it's not the act of smoking itself I look forward to, but sampling the qualities of a particular cigar itself. Indeed, whenever I smoke a cigar I don't like it often turns me off of cigar smoking in general for a few weeks.