Home General Discussion

different tobacco regions

I am looking for some insight on what regions of tobacco has what characteristics. I am talking for the most part such as do nicaraguan tobacco supply more of a spicy aspect versus a honduran tobacco that has more of a creamier milder taste versus dominican which is more earthy. thats just examples so please dont read into thats what i think. just trying to figure out my tastes and what cigars i should lean towards. so for the cigars i smoke are predominantly honduran. although this will help i will still venture out and try new cigars as i said before each region has variety but just wanting to know what is the norm of each region.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this question is hard core.
    I will do my best tomorrow to respond.

....once i get the beer out of my system
    mmmmm beeeeer.

arrogant b@$t@rd to be exact....
    ok... im up and my head doesnt hurt. Ive done a bit of pokin around on the internet and a good study of my catalog. i think i can field this question now.

lets start with the biggie: Cuban tobacco.
    Cuban tobacco is usually described as spicy and more full bodied. it is highly aromatic, and usualy complex. In my opinion There is nothing amazing about the tobacco itself, its just a very good version of tobacco. the "forbiddin fruit" makes it more tempting. Dont get me wrong, if cubans werent so hard to get id smoke em as often as i could.

the DR:
    this country produces a lot of tobacco and it seems that many of the strains from the DR originated in cuba. this combo tends to yield some very complex cigars. i find dominican tobaco to be not as spicy or as full bodied as cuban. The best cigar i have ever had was a dominican puro.

Ecuador: this region's tobacco is usally a bit on the mild side compared to the same strain grown in other areas. personally i find cigars with primarily ecuadorian tobacco a bit on the "simple" side. not to say it isnt good, because it is (the 5 vegas limitada uses it as a wrapper) its just a toutch mild.

Honduras: this is one of my favorite areas to have tobacco from. the tobacco is full bodied and round in flavor. spice is hit or miss. the aroma is usually strong.

Mexico: Not usually known for its amazing tobacco. the leaves are strong and stand up to fermentation well. they are also used as binder because of the heartyness

Nicaragua: This tobacco is very close to honduran tobacco. i find it less "round" than honduran but dont get me wrong, its still some of the best tobacco in the world.

Connecticut: one of the widest used wrapers in the industry. usually on the mild side. connecticut shade is more elastic and connecticut broadleaf is heavier and has more veins. Broadleaf is a common go-to for the maduro proscess.

Indonesia: Most sumatran tobacco comes from indonesia. the tobacco is "neutral" in nature. there isnt usually too much of any one flavor. this sometimes can be described as a "classic" tobacco taste

Cameroon: this region also produces very "neutral" tobacco. it is originally a sumatran seed that was imported to the area so it has the charactaristics of the sumatran strain just tamed down even more. because of the neutrality of the leaf it can be used to bind/wrap very complex fillers.

other countries grow tobacco but most of the tobacco you will find in cigars is from the above mentioned.

I have smoked tobacco from other areas/countries (italy, the philapines) but they were not the focal point of the cigar. (the italia has italian tobacco in it but i still wouldnt call it the focal point of the cigar. the honduran wrapper is)

i hope that helped.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ecuador: this region's tobacco is usally a bit on the mild side compared to the same strain grown in other areas. personally i find cigars with primarily ecuadorian tobacco a bit on the "simple" side. not to say it isnt good, because it is (the 5 vegas limitada uses it as a wrapper) its just a toutch mild.
    OK I just wanted to add a little to what Kuzi said about Ecuador. Ecuadorian tobacco is almost always Conneticut Wrapper Leaf. In Conneticut and other areas this is usually shade grown, meaning they put tents over it to keep it mild. Ecuador is naturally very cloudy so they get an almost "shade grown" wrapper leaf without it being tent covered so it gets a little extra flavor from some sun without being completely sungrown and more full bodied.
    All that said IMHO the country has less to do with the outcome of a cigar than you would think. Particular types of tobacco are grown in different areas of the world bc they do better there. i.e. the Conneticut Shade in Ecuador or the cuban seed corojo or crillio grown in Nicaragua. Find a particular wrapper you like FIRST, then try and discern how it tastes when grown in different countries IF it is grown in different places. FYI the wrapper is 40-60% of the flavor of a cigar.
    I am not a mild cigar smoke however, I do occasionally enjoy a conneticut wrapper cigar on a hot day with a glass of water. I do not care for Conneticut wrapper grown anywhere but Ecuador, it is not only mild but limited in complexity IMO.
    madurofan:
    IMHO the country has less to do with the outcome of a cigar than you would think. Particular types of tobacco are grown in different areas of the world bc they do better there. i.e. the Conneticut Shade in Ecuador or the cuban seed corojo or crillio grown in Nicaragua. Find a particular wrapper you like FIRST, then try and discern how it tastes when grown in different countries IF it is grown in different places.
    exactly. I was answering the question at hand as directly as i could. he was asking aobut regions, not strains of tobacco, or primings. that is a different ball game. that is such a complex world that i have a hard time understanding it all. needles to say tobacco blenders are amazing people. they match the right strain of tobacco with the right priming and the right country... and many times there are more than one types in a cigar. it can get very complicated very fast.

I tried to keep it as generic as i could. like you said a corojo grown in honduras will be different than a corojo grown in peru. but those will be more simaler to eachother than a connecticut shade grown in honduras vs. a corojo grown in honduras.
    hmmm i forgot peru... ill see what i can find and post later.
    Kuzi, I knew you were just answering the question posed, and did an excellent job as always. I just figured I'd throw that out as additional information. I thought you'd agree.
    kuzi16:
    Dude you could go on and on. There are tons of secondary countries that grow filler.
    madurofan:
    Kuzi, I knew you were just answering the question posed, and did an excellent job as always. I just figured I'd throw that out as additional information. I thought you'd agree.
    i did and it was good additional info
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Dude you could go on and on. There are tons of secondary countries that grow filler.
    i seriously could
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Good thread. Rating submitted : )
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Very informative gentleman, once again, you looked it up so we don't have to. thanks..
    kaspera79:
    you looked it up so we don't have to. thanks..
    only parts of it. I could describe honduran cuban and dominican with zero help. I could hint at others but im most familiar with those.

on the old forum i was a part of a blind taste test where i had to guess the country of origin of five debanded cigars. i got 3 right. One of them i even named the brand name. i dont know how i would do in a true blind taste tes where i couldnt see the cigars, because sight did help alot on that one.
  • Y'know... I'm half tempted to make some sort of web-thingie (such technical terms for someone studying IT, I know! Stick out tongue [:P]) that takes all this and puts it on a map and such. It will be interactive and shiny.
    gott.des.feuer:
    Y'know... I'm half tempted to make some sort of web-thingie (such technical terms for someone studying IT, I know! Stick out tongue [:P]) that takes all this and puts it on a map and such. It will be interactive and shiny.
    that would be SWEET. if you can also work with me and some of the other guys we can set up the same kinda thing for strain of tobacco and priming and what not. it can be a "blending 101" chart.
  • kuzi16:
    gott.des.feuer:
    Y'know... I'm half tempted to make some sort of web-thingie (such technical terms for someone studying IT, I know! Stick out tongue [:P]) that takes all this and puts it on a map and such. It will be interactive and shiny.
    that would be SWEET. if you can also work with me and some of the other guys we can set up the same kinda thing for strain of tobacco and priming and what not. it can be a "blending 101" chart.
    Chances are that you guys have better knowledge of this than I do, so if you guys provide the info I can do the HTML/coding grunt work.
    If you guys start putting this together, I'd be happy to help. AND host it on my upcoming site ;) stay tuned more details will be released when I can. You know all you guys will be our beta testers.
    Gott forget coding just download Joomla.
  • madurofan:
    Gott forget coding just download Joomla.
    Eh? Wassat?
    joomla.org
    ok so...
    playing of this thread a bit, i am working on a major project that i will call "blending 101" and with any luck i will have a SERIOUS wright up of the basics of blending. there is a bunch of typing and a bit of research that has to happen before it gets to the point where i can post. should be up in a few days ( i hope)
    though it is the basics of blewnding it is still a VERY complex subject. I hope i do it justice...

gott: ill PM you with how i pictured it in my head when its ready to be made interactive. I hope it isnt too complex. Im not much of a computer guy and the way this would work could be very hard to program.

wish me luck guys. Ill go balls to the walls on it in the AM
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, I hope this isn't how you spend your entire vacation. Do remember to get out once in a while, although your efforts are always appreciated. Good luck
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This could turn out to be a HUGE and at the same time AWESOME idea!!!

Don't know if anyone has this idea in the works, but I think it'd be awesome to have it interactive where you could pick your wrapper, region, blend, filler, and anything else you'd like and after you picked all your points of a great cigar (after reading up on all the great info Kuz will provide) the site would actually tell you what cigars actually match what you've chosen!

Just like you could pick a strength, a flavor, a wrapper etc. and then you could get ideas on what cigars match your choice AND you could find out what cigars are LIKE your fav's to try and enjoy!

Oh man! This could be sweet!
    Lasabar thats a bad @$$ idea ... I'm quite versed in database management and programming, which is the only way that would be possible. I'm also conviently working on a sdie project websit that has to do with cigars, would you guys mind if I took that idea and ran with it? The site is free so I won't be making money off your idea here more just giving you guys a place to host this.
    im not sure its going to be as BA as you guys seem to think its gunna be. remember this isnt "blending 4100"... this is "blending 101" I highly doubt that any of us (including me) will be able to blend a cigar the way the masters do after im done with this. this is just a representation of how the thought proscess goes. Im not exactly sure that it will all work out the way i want either. the best thing i can think of is kind of a multi directional flow chart. thats the only way i could get the thought proscess behind blending down on paper and make it accurate. Also this is about taste and perception, and that is very subjective. very general terms are going to have to be used. iduno... ill check in as the day goes on but eventually ill have a new thread up on this.

this isnt my vacation. My wife wont even let me take a laptop on vacation because she doesnt want me spending time on the forum. I guess i understand....
    No kuzi I get it. I was more thinking of taking this idea and running with it like this. Laying out a very simple scheme where a person can say I want to try a maduro wrapper, maduro binder, heavy on the Ligero filler(just FYI if I could build a cigar this would be my starting point, Double maduro 60% Ligero filler). Basically build a drop down list they can choose wrapper type, binder type and then have a few filler options as well and it would spit out cigars that fall into that category.
    kuzi16:
    this isnt my vacation. My wife wont even let me take a laptop on vacation because she doesnt want me spending time on the forum. I guess i understand....
    My wife is taking me to a place where we can't even get cell reception bc she knows if I can get cell reception I have internet. If I have internet I'll be working and playing on here :).
    this project is getting very complex. tere is almost too much to think about. I dont know what to put in and leave out.

i have six major catagories with seemingly endless possabilities within those. this is brutal.
    Yea ... thats why I wanted to steal your research.
    it may be a few more days. I hate to admit it but i cant stay that focused on a computer doing research for that long. Im not a desk job kinda guy. I use the computer for fun. that is only partially fun. its also a good amount of work. and damnit i wanna smoke a cigar, not just talk about them.