Home Ratings & Reviews

Flatbed Panacea White Corojo Bolt

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Couple weekends back, we rode the big beemer bagger down to Rock Hall Merryland, to stroll through the Pirates and Wenches street fair, where we visited a booth manned by Cigar Volante, distributors of Panacea Cigars, made by I forget who in Central America, at the behest of Flatbed Cigar Company. Truly a dizzying array of brands and sources. However, from the two I have smoked so far, I have to say that the results are absolutely and unequivocally eximious. In modern parlance, da bom.

So, to get our facts straight:
* Flatbed is the maker, up in Bucks County PA
* the cigars are rolled in the Dominican by I dunno factory
* the cigar line is called Panacea
* the distributor is Cigar Volante
* "White" refers to the white label... there are white, black, red, etc., each referring to a line of cigars
* corojo of course is the wrapper
* bolt is the strange size -- 4 x 50 -- a shorty robusto

Construction is impeccable. A dark, glossy, fine grained wrapper. Nearly odorless. Smells grassy at the foot. Tastes creamy, with a hint of pepper on the lips. Uncaps in a snap. Easy draw unlit. Mild grassy flavor unlit.

Fires up readily just toasting the foot with one match. At first puff, the taste is bitter leather. But that disappears soon as it settles in. Then I get hay. As the cherry grows, the hay sweetens. Some vanilla sneaks in to the retrohale. I get ample smoke. The ash is tight and white; but surprisingly, it falls at each 5/8". There's an excellent aroma in the room, like vanilla and dry grass. The whole experience is as soft and smooth as a mink coat laid on a silk sheet (what was her name?). Now, here is where it gets strange: Midway through this thing, I get what I can best describe as maple syrup on a waffle. No, I know that's odd; I only report. Smooth, sweet, aromatic. If I had to bidge about this thing, it would be that it's way too short. Anything nice as this deserves to last three hours. As it was, I could barely milk it maybe 55 minutes. By then, I had a one inch nub too hot to touch. Down by the nub, she started shedding shreds. But even though the nub got hot, the smoke was smooth throughout. I ought to have fetched a Freddie Freeloader toothpick and smoked it until my mustache sizzled.

Afterwards, I enjoyed a pleasant maple syrup stinkfinger. This morning, I awoke to the exact flavor of the smoke, smooth grass and maple syrup in my morning mouth. Bearswatter cooked up omelet, sweet Italian sausage, toasted home made bread with local organic raspberry honey, and espresso mixed half and half with hot half and half. That Panacea morning mouth was just delicious with breakfast. No wheeze.

I score this four and a half out of five. Would be a fat five if I'd only had the good sense to buy a longer one. Or two; I could have smoked two in succession. Flatbed is flat out da eximious bom.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• “Eximious” I like it. You are the first other than me to describe the maple syrup (that I am aware of). Try it with a warm-clime Viognier (hints of butterscotch) or a Harvest Ale with the malted barley, caramel flavor, Murphy’s Irish Amber, for example. Orgasmi-gar! This is what wine/cigar pairing beer/cigar pairing is all about. By the way, we have our own factory run by the guy that used to be the head of quality control for Davidov and reputed to have been Henke Kelnor's private roller. Catch my calendar (www.cigarvolante.com) we will be at Hidden Brook Winery on Saturday then taking the Tour de Panacea, E! and I will be riding out to some of our wineries, probably spending Sunday night in the Leesburg area before riding back down on Monday. The following week is Sans Soucy Shrimp Festival (Virginia Shrimp - there is a tobacco related story) and Sept 15, 16 at the Virginia Wine Festival (www.VirginiaWineFest.com). I will stock up on the Hitch Pin, the larger Corojo ;-). CV .
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    What are the dimensions on the white label Corojo torpedo. Just curious as I'm liking the bolt size but I don't like the hitch pin (way too big). So I was thinking maybe the torpedo if its like 6x52 or somewhere around there, but I can't find the info listed.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Been eyeing these up lately, I'm one who always complains about RG (wake up NC cigar makers and stop with the fatty 60rg sizes before you make me stop buying NC cigars completely- regular cigar smokers want coronas, petit coronas, lonsdales, lanceros-etc), and this is another line I would purchase if they had a corona or lonsdale available. Take note NC cigar makers, I for one am not buying NC cigars unless they have a thin ring guage available. Maybe I'm just a little guy, but I will be like Mel Gibson in Braveheart leading the BOTL's in the fight against fatty bo batty 60rg gimmick sizes. Maybe 1 blend out of 100 that falls in the category of actually tasting better in that size is ok, but not having a corona---blasphemy.
  • I was given a few of these a while back and allowed them to rest about a month before I tried my first one.
    First problem was that I was given 60 ring. I don't like this size. Reminds of me of being back in San Quentin.
    And the 60 takes a lot longer to reach its potential than the smaller sizes.
    I didn't care for it. People rave about them so it had to be me.
    I should have been more patient and let those 60's rest for a few months. Probably would have been a different cigar.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the guy was trying to talk me into buying one of those rolling pin sized cigars. I'm with you. Gimme a robusto, even a lonsdale. Not into fatties.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)