Home Non Cigar Related

CIA & NYPD Spying on Citizens

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Whether they are Deomocrats or Republicans seems as though both want to keep up the violating of our rights. From the Patriot act pass by the bush admin, then kept going by the current one, seems as though more and more comes out on the Gov't WAR on its citizens.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48744725/ns/us_news/#.UDksqMFlQ7s

http://www.ap.org/media-center/nypd/investigation

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like lambs to the slaughter, people will go quietly and ignorant of what goes on around them.
    But of course, your loss of freedoms is to protect you.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Like lambs to the slaughter, people will go quietly and ignorant of what goes on around them.
    If your not doing anything illegal shouldnt be a problem right???? ;o) They (our govt) have been doing it a long,, long time,, it however has intensified due to more threats domestically,, If you think about it,, our govt does a very good job in keeping us safe,, dont think the enemy hasnt tried to hurt us since 9/11
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    0patience:
    If your not doing anything illegal shouldnt be a problem right???? ;o) They (our govt) have been doing it a long,, long time,, it however has intensified due to more threats domestically,, If you think about it,, our govt does a very good job in keeping us safe,, dont think the enemy hasnt tried to hurt us since 9/11
    maybe. I mean most of our attacks have been our own. if it wasn't for ignoring threat assessments 9-11 wouldn't have happened either. terrorism is nothing new, but this whole security state thing is getting more and more scary, even worse than an attack imo.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    We live in a difficult world but that doesn't mean we have to loose our freedom. Our government is not perfect but is there any perfect government anywhere in the world? If we are a good citizen then we haven nothing to hide and nothing to worry about. If we all act together then nothing can harm or break us apart. Without throwing any specific comment, all I can say is- our government try their best to protect us. However, maybe sometime not in a perfect way but I will repeat my question again- is there any perfect government or political system on earth?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power corrupts.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Someone seeing black helicopters flying around their house?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phobic, no offense intended, but are you surprised by this? .... IMO this is "old news," so to speak.
    While the news reports of "domestic spying" have increased over the last year or so - this is nothing new.

And it's not just the CIA/NYPD doing these things - these practices generally start at the national level (NSA, FBI, etc.) then those techniques/practices/ideas trickle down to state and local agencies -- who inevitably adopt these actions in hoping that it will help "catch the bad guys" and "keep citizens safe."

And on a somewhat related note - have you read about the NSA's "new data center"? I have a feeling you'll get a kick out of this one if you haven't seen it yet ... WIRED: The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

y2pascoe:
    Someone seeing black helicopters flying around their house?
    F***!!!!! How'd you know?!?!?!!!!
    And I bet you know about those blacked-out sedans that are parked at the end of my street too....d*mn it.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Phobic, no offense intended, but are you surprised by this? .... IMO this is "old news," so to speak.
    While the news reports of "domestic spying" have increased over the last year or so - this is nothing new.

And it's not just the CIA/NYPD doing these things - these practices generally start at the national level (NSA, FBI, etc.) then those techniques/practices/ideas trickle down to state and local agencies -- who inevitably adopt these actions in hoping that it will help "catch the bad guys" and "keep citizens safe."

And on a somewhat related note - have you read about the NSA's "new data center"? I have a feeling you'll get a kick out of this one if you haven't seen it yet ... WIRED: The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)
    Thanks for the article, I always enjoy reading this type of stuff, having worked with the NSA while stationed in Berlin during the cold war. One of my fav spy thrillers is Enemy of the State,, and that movie is nearly 15 years old,, I cant imagine the capabilities we now possess with electronic security.
    Edit
    On a side note I imagine everytime I talk about bombs (cigars) on the phone with the GF my phone call is monitored. food for thought
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the article, I always enjoy reading this type of stuff, having worked with the NSA while stationed in Berlin during the cold war. One of my fav spy thrillers is Enemy of the State,, and that movie is nearly 15 years old,, I cant imagine the capabilities we now possess with electronic security.
    Edit
    On a side note I imagine everytime I talk about bombs (cigars) on the phone with the GF my phone call is monitored. food for thought
    You're welcome - and yeah I always find these articles interesting too. When reading about some of these facilities/software programs/etc that the "agencies" use to monitor communications - I often think "how the f*** did they come up with that."

And I'm with ya, I love Enemy of the State, it's in my top-10 all time favorite movies. Awesome flick.
    Spy Games is pretty good too - but it's not as focused on the high-tech gadgets like Enemy is.