Home Pipes

Some new Pipe/Travel additions - case, flask, and a custom pipe! :-)

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
(This post has been amended)

Today I gave the green light on a custom-ordered pipe - the craftsman gave me a 2wk time frame, so I'll be updating this thread when I get it in. On top of that, as I dropped off my humidor at the lounge for consignment today, I picked up an awesome 3-pipe case that was exactly what I was looking for, and at a killer price.

(Also bought a flask and filled it up with some Flor de Cana 18, but it's nothing fancy to look at)

Update: my humidor sold for $200 (schweeeeeet), and I bought a Google Nexus 7 16gb with it :-D

Pipe case holds 3 pipes, and has a separate compartment for tools, in addition to the tobacco pocket:
Photobucket
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sweet. Congrats, can't wait to see pics. Shame you had to dirty your new flask with a sub par rum. Big Smile [:D]

What kind of tobaccos are you enjoying lately?
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I actually haven't been smoking my pipes worth squat lately, but even when I do it's a maple-walnut aromatic from my B&M. I've had nowhere near the same drive for exploration in pipe tobaccos as I did for cigars, but as I switch over to strictly-pipe smoking in my travels, we'll have to see how that goes. He said he'll be keeping me updated with progress photos, so as I get those I'll probably share em :-)

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Ooh, this should be fun to watch; can't wait to see some pics!
    Ok, so he shot me a series of status photos today... Even in the last one it's not done yet - hasn't applied the final stain - but he said it should be done tomorrow. Freakin stoked!

2012-08-25_15-02-58_174

2012-08-25_15-14-37_418

Cool. Can't wait to see finished pics.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Why is he rusticating it?
    Marker:
    Because that's what I asked for...? He certainly knows how to make polished pipes, don't get me wrong - I just specifically wanted a rusticated pipe. He sent me the final photos today, and put it in the mail. Here's his photos, and I'll update when I get it :-)

bottom

Hays:
    Marker:
    He certainly knows how to make polished pipes, don't get me wrong
    As a follow-up to this... here is two from a series he made for a pipe club, complete with the matching tampers. If anybody wants his info, shoot me a PM - glad to share :-)

ClubPipes

She's a beauty Hays. I really like a rusticated pipe myself, I definitely get a cooler smoke out of a rusticated pipe.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I like the rusticated at times as well. If I have my choice I would not rusticate a pipe but I do like the looks of it. Very nice Hays. Throw a few big bowls of CH through that thing and break it in.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Hays:
    Marker:

Because that's what I asked for...? He certainly knows how to make polished pipes, don't get me wrong - I just specifically wanted a rusticated pipe. He sent me the final photos today, and put it in the mail. Here's his photos, and I'll update when I get it :-)

Beautiful pipe man! He does some good work. The next time I am looking for a pipe I will have to get his info from you.

bottom
  • Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    cool pipe indeed! I really dig the rustification on it. I was curious what got you out of cigars and into pipes? Only reason i ask is im toying with the idea of picking up a pipe as well.
    Joel H.:
    cool pipe indeed! I really dig the rustification on it. I was curious what got you out of cigars and into pipes? Only reason i ask is im toying with the idea of picking up a pipe as well.
    Oh bro, I definitely did not get "out of cigars" and into pipes... I have a distinct passion and interest for cigars that just doesn't carry over the same into pipes; what prompted the adoption of a more pipe-oriented smoking style is the fact that I'm going to be traveling the world for a while, and a pipe + baccy pouch is a hellova lot more manageable and portable than a herfador. Either way, it's two very different things: the cigar is for the exploration of the tobacco, the enjoyment among friends, the pairing with good foods and spirits... the pipe is for meditation, me-time.

So here's a pic of me enjoying the first bowl in the new pipe... and yes, it's all filtered and junk cuz my camera didn't like the smoky lounge I was in so it came out kinda crappy originally lol

0830121750-1

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think I will be giving up cigars. A pipe really is in addition to them. It is a different flavor profile and you do have to puff a little more often to keep it going. For me, if I am really stressed and my mind is not going to let the issue rest, a pipe is a good friend. It relaxes, refocuses my thinking and by the end of the night I usually have the issue resolved. A cigar on the other hand is something that I smoke when I am ready to relax and not think just smoke. So I guess you could say it is just different from cigars for me and my mood really decides what I smoke.