Home Cigar 101

Playing with humidity - and losing the battle!

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
I wanted to also point out as a boob newb I'm already learning what the difference in humidity will do to the smokes. I was keeping everything in humi-bags for a few weeks at 68% humidity and was enjoying everyone of my cigars from the light to the "roach." I then placed a 69% packet along with the humi-care pack that comes with Ccom deliveries to help rejuvenate the cigars that looked dry and the humidity was sitting at 72% for around 48 hours - just 4% over the 68% so no real change right? WRONG!

I just tried to smoke a 5 Vegas Miami which I had been looking forward to and had nothing but problems with it. I was puffing my ass off just trying to keep it lit until I started feeling queezy from it and was forced to lay it down. I now see why so many recommend the 65% RH for good smokes! Another hard lesson learned I just hope after a few hours of it resting outside of the humi I can finish it off enjoyably.

Comments

• bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    You probally had a plugged cigar. I don't think that 4% rise in rh would give you that bad of a problem. I've had a few plugs in some good quality sticks and there's not much you can do with those except lay it down and get yourself another one. Some plugs are so bad it's like trying to suck a nail out of a 2X4.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    wow interesting I didn't even think about that. I read just the other day that when it's like that to take a straightened paper clip or something similar and shove it through the cigar almost to the cherry to see if it will loosen the draw but I completely forgot about it.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I actually did this last night. I had an Oliva G figurado last night and it had a super tight draw even after a 1/3 of it. So I took a paper clip, straignted it out and it worked great. The draw was better, therefore there was more smoke and I could better enjoy the cigar. Please excuse any spelling mistakes....it is my last day at college so irish car bombs are in order!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yeah, just sounds like a plug.

Also, remember that your smokes will, generally, taste and smoke better if you let them rest a few weeks after shipping. My personal minimum is 1 week in the humidor before I even touch them, but I strive for 4-6 weeks.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Two things here guy. First I agree with everyone else here, it is more likely that you had a plugged cigar than it is that 72% caused problems. Higher humidity will tend to lead to a tighter draw but not that tight.

SECOND, I noticed in your first post you said you were going to come back to it later. Once you've lit a cigar there is no coming back to it later. If it goes out and you immediately light it back up that one thing but if you smoke some now and try to come back to it after a few hours it will taste like crap.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Good call maduro - I actually ended up chucking it into the woods later that day without every attempting to relight it. I'm glad there's at least some things I haven't had to learn the hard way.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    0 That Guy 0:
    Good call maduro - I actually ended up chucking it into the woods later that day without every attempting to relight it. I'm glad there's at least some things I haven't had to learn the hard way.
    Man I think I learned everything the hard way. I didn't jump onto forums until I had been smoking a while.