Home Non Cigar Related

Hurricane Isaac!

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Looks like we're gonna take a direct hit. The power is already out. Running the generators. Winds are picking up and the sky is puttin on a good show. I don't think this will be much of a water event. Not too much rain in the system and it looks like it will move through fairly fast. Gonna be a long night, though. Got a stack of cigars, booze, water and portable energy. Been through this before. Hopefully, I have enough fuel to keep power to the tv, computer and refrigerator for a few days.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to ya, Bro. Stay safe.....

• Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Looks like we're gonna take a direct hit. The power is already out. Running the generators. Winds are picking up and the sky is puttin on a good show. I don't think this will be much of a water event. Not too much rain in the system and it looks like it will move through fairly fast. Gonna be a long night, though. Got a stack of cigars, booze, water and portable energy. Been through this before. Hopefully, I have enough fuel to keep power to the tv, computer and refrigerator for a few days.
    hope you guys are ok....but i have to ask, should you have left? the big easy and hurricans don't have a good history.....
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Rail Jockey:
    beatnic:
    hope you guys are ok....but i have to ask, should you have left? the big easy and hurricans don't have a good history.....
    I've only left for one storm in my life, Katrina. Its hard to answer your question. Many reasons to leave, many to stay. I can give you a better answer tomorrow. Cheers!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe brother! Just curious, were you around for Camile back in the day? I wasn't, but my parents were living in Biloxi when it came through. I was born soon thereafter....hmmmm
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hang in there Beatnic. Hoping you don't get any damage.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I lived in Arkansas when Katrina and Rita came through. You can't even run north when they come in this direction. Rita put on a show in AR, so take cover my friend, or as we said in Arkansas hunker down. Best of luck, and stay safe.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Batten down the hatches and hunker down, it's going to be a long night
    hanging tough. Got a generator and watching the sky show. Even got to watch Chris Christie give his speech. Might not sleep much.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang in there, hoping for y'all to experience a kinder, gentler hurricane.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, brother!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Amos Umwhat:
    Hang in there, hoping for y'all to experience a kinder, gentler hurricane.
    What he said! ++++

Just know that there's a lot of prayers aimed in your direction. God willing, the levees won't fail this time, and the flooding won't be near as bnad as the last time.

On a side note...why do weather news people stand out in the rain in these storms?
    Wild night. All seems OK. The contents of my neighbors tree has been shredded and deposited on my lawn. Otherwise OK. Running on generator and the internet is still connected. Could be worse.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    So much for it moving through quickly. WWL was just showing a projection with 60mph sustained wind in NO well into the evening. This storm is stubborn.

Power went out at my house around 0100. My wife and dog making it through OK so far. Wife said there is some building material in the yard, but said she can't tell if it's from our house or not, doesn't see any damage.

Stay safe, beatnic.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Glad to hear you came through it OK beatnic. Was the rest of NOLA as fortunate?

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe!
    This sucker just won't move on by. Steady wind and rain.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Wild night. All seems OK. The contents of my neighbors tree has been shredded and deposited on my lawn. Otherwise OK. Running on generator and the internet is still connected. Could be worse.
    glad to hear all is well, friend.
    now its time to get out and help your neighbors should they need it.
    good luck and stay safe out there.
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    glad to hear all is well, friend.
    now its time to get out and help your neighbors should they need it.
    good luck and stay safe out there.
    Our neighborhood is pretty cool. As soon as the rain lets up, 4wheelers start coming out of the backyards loaded with rakes, ropes and chainsaws. And beers. LOL. We've learned to adapt.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Just talked to my wife again. House next door lost some siding and a piece of their eaves, thats what was in our yard. Sucks for them, but thankfully no damage for us so far.