Home General Discussion

Strangest B&M pricing you have found

jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
Was at one of my local B&Ms the other day and got thinking about this. What is the most "off the wall" pricing or product peddaling you have seen at a shop?

What made me think of this was boxes of Montecristo's going for $25+ a stick. But at the same place, I have seen VSGs and Red Dots put in $8 grab bag samplers with 3 other sticks.

Comments

• nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    There is a b&m store in dupont where almost every cigar they have (some decent stuff but nothing that gets my shorts in a bunch) where almost every cigar is at least 50-60% higher than they would be anywhere else, and some sticks are more than double what they would cost elsewhere.

Im sure the only business they get are people that dont know any better.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    One of the B&Ms in Des Moines prices are way over the top. Example: RP OWR maduro box there is $270.00. Ccom has the same box listed for $147. Everything in there is like that.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    On the flip side of the coin, my favorite B&M in the area usually puts a $10-12 price tag on Opus X's and Anejo's when they get them in stock. If you're lucky enough to drop in when they have them on the shelves, TIME TO LOAD UP!!!

• bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I can routinely get Anejo's for $10 at a different B&M also.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    The Sniper:
    On the flip side of the coin, my favorite B&M in the area usually puts a $10-12 price tag on Opus X's and Anejo's when they get them in stock. If you're lucky enough to drop in when they have them on the shelves, TIME TO LOAD UP!!!

I think they have to sell at that price or they will loose their opus account, wish a b&m had an account by me:(
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

I think they have to sell at that price or they will loose their opus account, wish a b&m had an account by me:(
    FWIW - I am by no means and AF or Opus expert....and don't know about all of their different brands....
    But I've seen cigars labeled "AF Anejo" at a nearby B&M - and I can tell you they are not $10-12. They're in the $18-23 range depending on vitola. (unless this is a different AF cigar and I just don't know what I'm looking at...which is also a possibility)

Otherwise, this B&Ms prices are usually in line with the "single stick" prices listed on CCOM.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

Yea, but opus' don't retail for much more. Torps are only 15 if I remember and Toros are like 14. I also can get Anejos for 10 bucks and no one at my B&M buys em much.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $32 for Stradivarius

$30 + for all Opus

If you want to see insane prices I have a B&M I will take you to. Not going to say names but they are a pretty big deal with gigantic prices to match their egos.
    jsnake:
    $32 for Stradivarius

$30 + for all Opus

If you want to see insane prices I have a B&M I will take you to. Not going to say names but they are a pretty big deal with gigantic prices to match their egos.
    Would these purveyors happen to pride themselves on working "outside the law" so to speak Jake? :-)

jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

FWIW - I am by no means and AF or Opus expert....and don't know about all of their different brands....
    But I've seen cigars labeled "AF Anejo" at a nearby B&M - and I can tell you they are not $10-12. They're in the $18-23 range depending on vitola. (unless this is a different AF cigar and I just don't know what I'm looking at...which is also a possibility)

Otherwise, this B&Ms prices are usually in line with the "single stick" prices listed on CCOM.
    This is generally what I see as well - WHEN you can find them, which is at times a sticking point particularly with the Anejos.

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    All my local B&M's here in Houston barely have Opus and Anejo's in stock.

And the one time they did, the Opus X and Anejo were $28+ each, depending on size. And they wonder why I do my purchases from other vendors outside the state who sell it at retail or less.

On the other hand, I went to a strip club for a bachelors party and they had a box of FF Opus X, $64.95 each plus tax...luckily I had 2 liga privada no 9's on me to enjoy!
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

This is generally what I see as well - WHEN you can find them, which is at times a sticking point particularly with the Anejos.

Chances are your states have a high cigar/tobacco tax. PA doesn't so almost all the B&Ms that have had Anejos or Opus have had em for Fuente's MSRP
    scarlin:
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

Chances are your states have a high cigar/tobacco tax. PA doesn't so almost all the B&Ms that have had Anejos or Opus have had em for Fuente's MSRP
    Life's good in PA for cigar guys! :-) I think around here its probably more of a price gouging thing due to scarcity of product than anything else. I think sometimes B&M owners (he11, retailers in general) forget that they are in competition with not only their competitors locally, but also the world wide interweb. A lot of times when I go to a local B&M, I take a slow walk thru the humidor, sniggering at the prices, then walk out the door smiling because I know I can beat those prices ALL DAY from the comfort of my own home. :-)

scarlin:
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

I didn't even think about that.... good point.
    I'd bet that's the reason for the price difference, especially since they seem to have reasonable prices on everything else.

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Found some CAO Brazillia's for $25 a pop
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    scarlin:
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

Life's good in PA for cigar guys! :-) I think around here its probably more of a price gouging thing due to scarcity of product than anything else. I think sometimes B&M owners (he11, retailers in general) forget that they are in competition with not only their competitors locally, but also the world wide interweb. A lot of times when I go to a local B&M, I take a slow walk thru the humidor, sniggering at the prices, then walk out the door smiling because I know I can beat those prices ALL DAY from the comfort of my own home. :-)

To be fair, it also falls into the same idea of convienence stores. You aren't just paying for the smoke, you are also paying for the atmosphere/smoking area and the convienence of not having to wait for an order to arrive or the possible issues shipping entails. That being said, I am still not dropping $65 on an Opus.
    jthanatos:
    The Sniper:
    scarlin:
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

To be fair, it also falls into the same idea of convienence stores. You aren't just paying for the smoke, you are also paying for the atmosphere/smoking area and the convienence of not having to wait for an order to arrive or the possible issues shipping entails. That being said, I am still not dropping $65 on an Opus.
    Yea, you could get 2 Behikes for that money.
    taythegibs:
    STFU....that's ludicrous.

scarlin:
    jthanatos:
    The Sniper:
    scarlin:
    The Sniper:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    The Sniper:

Yea, you could get 2 Behikes for that money.
    YEAH ---- but can you get 2 Behikes, at a strip club for that price?!???
    LOL.

I don't care what the venue is....who the F would pay $65 for a cigar that can be had for a fraction of the price?

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    taythegibs:
    No, this is Ludacris image
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    taythegibs:
    No, this is Ludacris image
    hahahahaha
    (i literally just laughed out loud and got some strange looks in the office)

LOL - I had a feeling someone would post that. thanks for the laugh

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, none of them can beat that cinternational.com, where every last item is priced twice -- first an exhorbitant sum with a line thru it, then the real price. First thing I hit just now looking for an example has RP Royal Vintage at $171 with a line thru, and $49.95 as the real price. Cheesy approach. Women's clothing stores do that all the time. Can't tell you how many dresses Bearswatter has brought home claiming "It's a $130 dress I got for $29". No, sweetheart, it's a 29 dollar dress. That's why you paid 29 bucks.

But back to the subject ... nah, I got nuttin.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I stopped at a real hole-in-the-wall cigarette shop that also sold cigars (I always do this-these guys usually know nothing and consequently have killer deals) and found a jar of discount cigars for $4/each. Rummaging through I pulled out a bunch of AVO Domaine. Score!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped in at the local B&M a bit back and he had some Padron Anniversary Maduro Diplimatico cigars in a box that was not marked. When I asked how much he said take the last 3 for $7 each.
    Uh yep. I did exactly that. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I stopped in at the local B&M a bit back and he had some Padron Anniversary Maduro Diplimatico cigars in a box that was not marked. When I asked how much he said take the last 3 for $7 each.
    I will give you ten bucks each for them!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rail Jockey:
    0patience:
    I will give you ten bucks each for them!
    LOL! Smoked 2 of them. Have one left. Saving it for when my boys finally move out.
    With the way things are going, they'll have 4 years on them. Ugh!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    jsnake:
    $32 for Stradivarius

$30 + for all Opus

Would these purveyors happen to pride themselves on working "outside the law" so to speak Jake? :-)

You could say that. Of course I still haven't named names.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    There was this cigar shop I used to go to in philly a while back, they had ghurkas for high $$$$(almost 4 times their worth) but everything else was low priced or reasonable. I asked why the Ghurkas cost so much, the guy said "Because we don't like them, but people will pay anything for them" I lol'd.
    jsnake:
    The Sniper:
    jsnake:
    $32 for Stradivarius

$30 + for all Opus

You could say that. Of course I still haven't named names.
    I feel you brother! Apparently when you operate "outside the law" you have a REALLY phenomenal selection - but are REALLY proud of them as well, and price accordingly. LOL I'll keep going to Blue Springs for my B&M purchases myself. :-)

• jswaykosjswaykos Posts: 53
    Two B&Ms that I frequent... one has absurd cigar pricing, generally double what you'd expect to pay online. CA taxes, blah blah blah, whatever. WAY out of line. However, they've got 30 or so microbrews on tap, always rotating, and awesome happy hour deals - I go there for that! The other place is more of an old school tobacco shop. Lots of a pipes/pipe baccy and cigars, a no frills lounge, and MSRP pricing, which in California is basically free! It seems to be more of an older crowd, too, so the limited/hard to find stuff stays in stock for a long time. Case in point: I picked up a box of Little Monsters they still had from their original shipment two weeks ago.