Home Non Cigar Related

Life is tooo Short!

MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
Alright taking it easy yesterday, sitting at club having lunch and wife calls, just got off work, asking if I will check on mother-in-law? Sure no problem, run over and fix lunch for her, but she's breathing funny,(85yrs old) call wife to let her know I am taking her in to get checked at ER, meet me there. FF to later tests all good! Waiting around stretching legs outside of room, this guy walks by that I know and say "what up Butch" he replies "dude chest feels funny" his wife is following, nothing else is said, go back into room. 5 minutes later I hear the horrible scream from wife , and people running everywhere, more screams from wife, and then standing there thinking fvck this isn't good.....Then the worst scream from her echoing through the halls what do you mean he is dead!! Tough night, life is too short.... Butch was only 34 years old, great athlete, great shape.....too young!
Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mike, I am very sorry to hear about your friend. My prayers for him and his family. Indeed, life is very short. I have learned that after my father's death. That's why I always say- we should cherish whatever we have today.
    MVW67:
    Alright taking it easy yesterday, sitting at club having lunch and wife calls, just got off work, asking if I will check on mother-in-law? Sure no problem, run over and fix lunch for her, but she's breathing funny,(85yrs old) call wife to let her know I am taking her in to get checked at ER, meet me there. FF to later tests all good! Waiting around stretching legs outside of room, this guy walks by that I know and say "what up Butch" he replies "dude chest feels funny" his wife is following, nothing else is said, go back into room. 5 minutes later I hear the horrible scream from wife , and people running everywhere, more screams from wife, and then standing there thinking fvck this isn't good.....Then the worst scream from her echoing through the halls what do you mean he is dead!! Tough night, life is too short.... Butch was only 34 years old, great athlete, great shape.....too young!
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    oh man.... so sorry to hear mike. arg... too soon... way too soon
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Sorry to hear that man. You and the family have my prayers.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been trying to put into word how I felt after reading that.... I can only come up with.....***........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Sorry to hear about this. 34?? That's crazy. My condolences.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow that is really young sorry you lost a freind life is definiteky to short
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this man. Too short indeed.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    My sincere condolences to you and your friends family, Mike. 34 is way too young to even begin enjoying life. I'm so sorry my friend.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the sincere thoughts, He was a casual friend, but still makes you stand back and take a long look at life an realize how short life can be.

The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee.......

When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee..........

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff. "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness...

Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Travel, enjoy your life....... There will always be time to clean the house, wash the clothes, and fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked.....It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Certainly sorry for your loss. Why do we fail to act upon that which we know..unless we r so nicely reminded? I believe your post has reminded us all of what we know know, but often forget. THANKS! This version is a new one for me..i really like the extra bit that the coffee adds to the story. There is a real sad irony in the fact that i am just finishing my freshly ground Indonisian Summatra that i have french pressed....while an old childhood friend is crashing here @ my farm house while we (he) attempt to beat his $200+/day heroin addiction. I will share the mayonaise jar and coffee story with him to give him inspiration as he struggles to keep his priorities in order. Needless to say, many of my personal pebbles have certainly become sand as i continue to realize what is 'truly important.' So thanks again MVW67 for your welcomed reminder..it is incredibly timely for me! P.S. he is on hour 55 now...and sleeping now.
    bearb:
    Certainly sorry for your loss. Why do we fail to act upon that which we know..unless we r so nicely reminded? I believe your post has reminded us all of what we know know, but often forget. THANKS! This version is a new one for me..i really like the extra bit that the coffee adds to the story. There is a real sad irony in the fact that i am just finishing my freshly ground Indonisian Summatra that i have french pressed....while an old childhood friend is crashing here @ my farm house while we (he) attempt to beat his $200+/day heroin addiction. I will share the mayonaise jar and coffee story with him to give him inspiration as he struggles to keep his priorities in order. Needless to say, many of my personal pebbles have certainly become sand as i continue to realize what is 'truly important.' So thanks again MVW67 for your welcomed reminder..it is incredibly timely for me! P.S. he is on hour 55 now...and sleeping now.
    Good luck on your endeavours with your friend and wish you and him the very best!
    MVW67:
    bearb:
    Good luck on your endeavours with your friend and wish you and him the very best!
    //thanks man...i dont know why i hijacked your post...i am terribly sorry....i hardly remember typing it, til it 'pinged' with your response...i was just sitting here daydreaming i guess....perhaps i just needed to vent, tell someone, even though i have only met a few dozen cigar.com botls @ cigarfests, it is such a supportive place...your thoughts are appreciated and my thoughts r with you also....thanks again for reminding us of our pebbles and sand! and i realize my math was wrong...friday @ 7 pm to now is closer to 65 hours...but is seems today will be most challenging according to my reading on withdrawal...but i have not a clue.
    bearb:
    MVW67:
    bearb:
    //thanks man...i dont know why i hijacked your post...i am terribly sorry....i hardly remember typing it, til it 'pinged' with your response...i was just sitting here daydreaming i guess....perhaps i just needed to vent, tell someone, even though i have only met a few dozen cigar.com botls @ cigarfests, it is such a supportive place...your thoughts are appreciated and my thoughts r with you also....thanks again for reminding us of our pebbles and sand! and i realize my math was wrong...friday @ 7 pm to now is closer to 65 hours...but is seems today will be most challenging according to my reading on withdrawal...but i have not a clue.
    we are all botl, this is your thread too, please continue to vent it helps:-) :-) !
    bearb:
    MVW67:
    bearb:
    MVW67:
    bearb:
    that is weird....a repost an hour later...perhaps it is important to emphasize that i ididnt mean to distract ppl from your suffering also...but i guess it also reinforces how effective your story was for me...which is your point! so again, thanks! (wonder if this will double random post somehow also)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    that is weird....a repost an hour later...perhaps it is important to emphasize that i ididnt mean to distract ppl from your suffering also...but i guess it also reinforces how effective your story was for me...which is your point! so again, thanks! (wonder if this will double random post somehow also)
    Good luck Bearb, you're doing a good thing.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    First, Im very sorry to hear of your loss my friend.

Secondly, I think we should all carry forward the lesson that you should live for today, because tomorrow is NOT promised.

When my Dad passed away I was still in the military, and here's how he broke the news to me in the phone call...

"Hey Dad, whats going on?"

"Well, I was wondering how much leave you had built up."

"About 30 days or so, why?"

"Good. Go put in to take it all. We're going to the Caribbean."

"Saywhutnow???"

"Just came from the doctor, and found out Ive got pancreatic cancer. Nothing they can do for it, Ive got 3 to 6 months left. Your mother & I have always wanted to go to the islands, and we're gonna party my way out!"

Said all that to say this - we never got to make the trip, because he went downhill so fast... less than three weeks later, I was at his funeral. Just like this example and the original post, when your time is up, ITS UP. Live your life to the fullest as best you can and do the things you want to do NOW gentlemen, because it all goes too fast, and can be over in the blink of an eye.

(steps down off soap box)

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Seems like a TON of stuff is going crazy here in the past few days in these forums...

I will hug my fiance a little tighter and play with my kitty a little bit more today...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that is just horrible. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.