Home Non Cigar Related

Bookstore

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
As I was walking in to the bookstore today, they replaced half of it with the nook section. I realized how much I like physically like holding my purchases. I like walking around the store and browsing. Anyone still go to the bookstore?

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can spend all day in a Barnes & Noble
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I love getting lost in a good used bookstore
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Mephisto:
    My wife has turned our house into a damned library - no kidding - there are books everywhere - I can't build anymore bookshelves, cause we've just run out of room. Barnes & Noble is gonna put me in the poorhouse.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Mephisto:
    My wife has turned our house into a damned library - no kidding - there are books everywhere - I can't build anymore bookshelves, cause we've just run out of room. Barnes & Noble is gonna put me in the poorhouse.
    Kindle
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like visiting the book store but I love my nook and nook color. I bought a beautiful bookshelf last year for my books at home. I am actually thinking of selling them all except for my children's books. I don't care so much about holding the real deal. I love carrying around my nook with 960 books on hand at any time and I have room for many more. I am not a tree hugger by any means but think of all the saved trees! All of my books and magazines are right here in my hand. Haven't visited a B&N in a long time so maybe I should go check out what they have done.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hahahahaha books... yeah, I have a few of those. I downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps on my tablet, and I'm happy to have a bunch of books in-hand that way, but I don't think anything will ever replace the sensory appeal of the *printed* word for me. Oftentimes when I come across an article of any length online, I will print it out to enjoy later - staring at a screen all day, it's nice to have a different medium to read through. (Literally just printed out a New Yorker article releasing a previously-denied short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Mephisto:

+1^^^
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    The feelings of missing an actual book in my hands is greatly offset by the fact that I can carry as many books as I want with me in one compact, neat little package - Kindle all the way baby!

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    The feelings of missing an actual book in my hands is greatly offset by the fact that I can carry as many books as I want with me in one compact, neat little package - Kindle all the way baby!

This. I still buy hard covers of books I really like for display, but Ebooks have replaced most of my buying. Having a crap ton of books to flip through is great. The one exception is reference books as I like to have a digital and hard copy because each is useful in its own way.
  • jthanatos:
    The Sniper:

This. I still buy hard covers of books I really like for display, but Ebooks have replaced most of my buying. Having a crap ton of books to flip through is great. The one exception is reference books as I like to have a digital and hard copy because each is useful in its own way.

If the books I'm reading were available on kindle, it would be great, but there is still something to be said for the thing itself. I have an old ereader and love it for being able to have so many books close at hand, even traveling, but i haven't seen a digi reader yet with a good enough marginalia function to make it useful to me professionally. I want to be able to scribble all over the page and add sticky tabs and bells and whistles, and if I like it enough to whisper little nothings a padlock to keep any nosey suckers out! ;)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What are these.... boks? buks? books? you guys talk of?