Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Carlos Torano 1916 Robusto

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
The only item I find searching these ratings for a CT 1916 is in a thread entitled "Sticks that taste like goats ass". Now, I personally have owned four goats at different times in my life. One was a wild goat I caught, slaughtered, and passed out as meat bombs. The other three were pets which I loved, cared for, played with, slaughtered, and ate. I would own a goat again in a twinkle, if I could. They make wonderful pets and capable lawn mowers. Intelligent, personable, mischievous, easy to kill with a bottle of vinegar, though tough to skin, and so tasty. Goats can learn amazing tricks. I had one goat I taught to climb a mango tree and toss me down fruit, for instance. Try to get your dog to do that. And those eyes! Unique in the animal world.

However, regardless how much I admire goats, I admit I have never entertained any curiosity what goat's ass may taste like. No doubt this is my imperfectly trained palate talking. So I set out to remedy that by tendering this review of a Carlos Torano 1916 Robusto.

Just look at the gorgeousness of this thing! No, wait, I mean, you have to take your time with this pic and see the gorgeousness of it in all it's major glory. That cedar wrap, I tell you, I pulled this dood out of its cellophane before dinner, walked around with it, admiring its wonderful appearance for like half an hour, kept sniffing the resplendent foot of it, taking pictures, then stuffed it in a cigar tube until after dinner, when I pulled it out and held it another half hour. It's like holding an infant -- you want to smell its head and hold it and never set it down. Perfect construction. Fine grain. Gloss. Grand sweet leather aroma. Leather taste. And that satin swirl in the cedar wrap. Oh my.

But eventually, I did uncap it. It had a left handed wrapper, and I uncapped it right handed; so that's my fault I left a wee triangle dangling. It licked down. Good draw. Sweet spice, leather, and wood.

One match lit it. Not much smoke to start. But all the way down, it kept growing more smoke inch by inch, and with more smoke it grew more flavor. Tremendous sweet spice with a wood aftertaste. Wood in the retro. I kept exclaiming to myself "Sabor Rico!" Tight ash. Absolutely straight burn -- couldn't draw it straighter with a straight edge. Stronger and stronger flavor. I could do this all night. Finally died out with a good two and a half inches left after an hour and a half.

Wish I could tell you what spice that was, but I did not have a chance to observe what that goat might have been eating. If you held a gun to my head I would say rosemary. tasted it the rest of the night. Entertaining stinkfinger. Meaty morning mouth. Damp wheeze.

I gave it four and a half stars. I can't figure out right now why I didn't give it five. If I ever buy a goat again, I'm going to name him Carlos Torano.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Torano 1916 robusto is by far, my most favorite "go to" stick.
    I have bought more of the 1916 robusto, than any other cigars.
    I like just about any Torano cigar, but I cannot be without my Torano 1916s.

Great review.
    I'm not sure why a person would say it tasted like goats ass. I've never tasted goats ass, so I'm thinking that person may have been smoking something other than a 1916.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    Any TORANO is a great TORANO, I do not know or want to know who wrote what u have read abour TORANO but to me they are one of the best smokes I have ever had.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    If ya like that, try CT 1959 50 yr, great!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    If ya like that, try CT 1959 50 yr, great!
    I'll look for it. So far, I've only burnt the Casa Torano and the 1916. Both were sublime. I'd be up for a Tour de Torano. In fact, doesn't that sound like a great putt n puff event? Ride beautiful motorcycles via a scenic route to a bucolic B&B, gather in rockers on the porch overlooking lovely countryside, fire up a Torano, sip some rum. Up next morning, breakfast, saddle up and do it again. About a week of this and you'd be in a pretty mellow state. Tour de Torano.

Goats ass my ass.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I love Carlos Torano and think they're one of the most consistent sticks out there in my limited experience; i've never had draw or burn issues with any Torano. The regular 1959 Gold is my favorite (even moreso than the 50 year, although I've only ever had one of those and should probably revisit).

1959 Silver is very good too as is the 1916. Casa Torano connie is a nice mild but I personally think the Casa Torano maduro is much better.