Home Non Cigar Related

My car is totaled.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
My youngest boy, who is 20, finally decided to go for his driver's license.
So he takes the test in our car (my wife and I's only car) and then he was supposed to drop Momma off and take the car home.
Well, he decides to go to the beach and making a corner to the beach access, the car slid and smashed into a guardrail posts. Both airbags deploy and my son and his girlfriend came out a little bruised, but alright.
But our only transportation (with exception of my Harley) is toast. And while we have gap insurance and full coverage, it will pay the car off completely and maybe give us a couple grand, but with a foreclosure and financial problems, because of pay cuts and all, there is no way we'll be able to buy another car like it.

So now we wait for the insurance company to tell us what they will do and in the meantime, I have to figure out something for transportation. I hate this.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    oi... so sorry to hear that Tony.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    """"Well, he decides to go to the beach""""" What? He's not going to pay for it? You gotta leave some of the issue on him or he'll never learn.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me? Kids pay for anything?
    The stories I could tell about my 2 "brilliant" boys. Any parent would cringe.
    And every lesson they are supposed to learn, seems to make them more stupid.

The only thing I can think of is that somewhere along the way, I really pissed off someone and I'm paying for it several lifetimes over.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    So sorry to hear this Tony. Really hope things work out for the best.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Man that sucks. Hope everything goes better than expected.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow, sorry to hear that T. Why did your son wait so long to get his license ? My kids never smashed my car, because nobody ever drives my car. Hope things work out well for you.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a real bummer, Tony. I'm sorry to hear about it. Hope all works out for ya....

• stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Oh man that sucks. If I can do anything for you let me know.
    Wait! Foreclosure!!? I must have missed that post somewhere. You just finished I bathroom remodel. Now you are getting foreclosed on?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Well Lets just be thankful they werent hurt and no one else was hurt in the accident. It coulda been worse,, alot worse.. You'll get through it and best to ya!
    stad:
    Wait! Foreclosure!!? I must have missed that post somewhere. You just finished I bathroom remodel. Now you are getting foreclosed on?
    Naw, last summer we got foreclosed on and I sold my truck to buy a manufactured home.
    I don't owe anything on the manufactured home.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    At least you still have the Harley, you cant commute on that? I ride mine every day.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this man!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    """"Well, he decides to go to the beach""""" What? He's not going to pay for it? You gotta leave some of the issue on him or he'll never learn.
    Sorry to hear about your car, but, Beatnic has never spoken truer words than these, I've seen it too many times. Make 'em work for it, or they'll never learn. Applies to many things.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Amos Umwhat:
    beatnic:
    Sorry to hear about your car, but, Beatnic has never spoken truer words than these, I've seen it too many times. Make 'em work for it, or they'll never learn. Applies to many things.
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. I don't know your situation, but I really feel for you and your family. It's tough.

However, I think Amos is right. Your son has impacted your life in a very bad way, and the only way to deal with it is to find a way for him to learn (the hard way) by paying for his mistake, so that you can be "made whole". That's the win-win solution. You get reliable transportation, and he learns that his decisions have real consequences.
    JDH:
    Amos Umwhat:
    beatnic:
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. I don't know your situation, but I really feel for you and your family. It's tough.

However, I think Amos is right. Your son has impacted your life in a very bad way, and the only way to deal with it is to find a way for him to learn (the hard way) by paying for his mistake, so that you can be "made whole". That's the win-win solution. You get reliable transportation, and he learns that his decisions have real consequences.
    +1
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow... Lot's of crazy stories in the forums lately... That sucks, but again, glad everyone is okay.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Wow... Lot's of crazy stories in the forums lately... That sucks, but again, glad everyone is okay.
    You aren't kidding.

I am sorry to hear about any brothers trouble on here. Sounds like you have many things going wrong at the same time. I hope you just don't let it all weigh you down. Easier said then done and I realize that. Been through hell and back and as I look back I am amazed of what I made it through and so glad I never threw in the towel. If you need to vent let us have it.
    jsnake:
    Lasabar:
    You aren't kidding.

I am sorry to hear about any brothers trouble on here. Sounds like you have many things going wrong at the same time. I hope you just don't let it all weigh you down. Easier said then done and I realize that. Been through hell and back and as I look back I am amazed of what I made it through and so glad I never threw in the towel. If you need to vent let us have it.
    +++++++++++++++
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm thankful everyone is okay. Sorry about your car and let me know if I can help in anyway.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Glad that nobody was hurt. I want to tell you to quit being an enabler and kick those boys out on their butts. Let them learn from their mistakes and grow up. The thing is, I don't think I could kick my daughter out no matter what she did. She's only 7 and still sweet, though.
    Streater:
    Glad that nobody was hurt. I want to tell you to quit being an enabler and kick those boys out on their butts. Let them learn from their mistakes and grow up. The thing is, I don't think I could kick my daughter out no matter what she did. She's only 7 and still sweet, though.
    Wait 7 years. 14 year old girls are not normal. I know this from experience.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Streater... Being an enabler doesn't help the enabled. It's time for them to be out on their own.

A friend of mine, a good ol' country boy, had a saying...."when they turn 18 it's time to break their dinner plate". I think it's quite apropos here......

Well, looks like things are gonna work out.
    We went to Portland yesterday and got another car, one year newer and $200 less per month payments.
    Same color and all. Only thing is that it doesn't have a sunroof, while our old one did.
    But as long as Momma is ok with it, I am.

Now we wait for the insurance company to go through all their stuff and get everything taken care of.
    We may even buy back our old one and strip it for spare parts for the newer one. LOL!
    The old one had brand new tires on it, at $300/tire, that adds up.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer man! I feel ya though just found out got to replace brakes and rotors in our van. Not to mention the 2 tires I took it in for. It's always something. The universe just can't stand it when I'm thinking of getting some sticks. Oh well maybe next month??