Home Ratings & Reviews

Padilla..?

I've had a few Padillas come in and out of the humidor, but never smoked one. I don't know why, but I just have it in my head that they're not really great cigars. The only thing I have to back me in this is that I've never heard them mentioned in conversation before. Anyone here enjoy Padillas? Or hate them. Any views are welcome.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I love the last production of Miami, have not tried the new one or the 8/11 blend, which I have in the humi waiting. They make some good stuff man.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always loved the Padilla Habano, but I think it's on the chopping block. I've been trying to warm up to the Artemis, which isn't bad, but not up to the standard of the Habano, or the '68, or the Miami, which as Catfish said is a very nice cigar.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Padilla 1932 is one of my favorites. Along with the Miami amd Dominus they all offer a very enjoyable experience in my opinion.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Had one or two myself, but I am confused at this moment, like Amos said, there are some lines that are leaving and never coming back, some they will continue to produce and some revamping going on over there, so I would wait until everything settles down before going hog wild. I know some on here love them, believe ShotgunJohn and Skweekz, are fan favs of the golden and black bear lines.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    I was given a box of golden bear for my birthday and i fell in love with them so i picked up a mazo of the black bear only had a couple and they are fantastic ...to bad there dropping the black bear line
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Like the Miami, have them all but like that one the best.
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't enjoy Padillas, or hate them. I've never had one that I thought was really great though. I've tried most of the current line. Average to good, but nothing amazing. I've heard that when they were made by DPG, they were quite impressive. That kind of tells me where I should be spending my money.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Padilla Miami Limitada Oscuro Perfecto is one of my favorites. It is a winner and on my top ten list. Not a huge fan of their other stuff but this is a winner.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of both the Golden and Black bears. I also stocked up on the original Signature 1932 before they run out of the old blend. I believe it's already one that's been re-blended and re-banded. Back when I first started really buying faster than I smoke, I somehow ended up with a pile of Cazadores. They have a pretty good flavor and seem to be aging nicely. They actually have well over a year on them now, so they're smoking pretty well. In the end, thought, it's like everything else. You'll never know if you like them or not until you try them out.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Biggest Padilla Winner - Signature 1932

Biggest Padilla Loser - Obsidian.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Big fan of the 1932
    The Sniper:

Ha! you got that right!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Absolutely.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Big fan of the 68` Series robusto...

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Some brands don't blend to my taste buds and Padillas accross the board just don't do it for me. Not a bad brand, just not for me.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

If I am not mistaken didn't you end up getting hit with some unbanded sticks and after smoking them you went on and on about how great the flavor profile was only to learn they were Obsidians...or was that someone else

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    MTuccelli:
    The Sniper:

If I am not mistaken didn't you end up getting hit with some unbanded sticks and after smoking them you went on and on about how great the flavor profile was only to learn they were Obsidians...or was that someone else

LOL, yup, that was Glen, and that was a great thread to read too. hahaha, the sniper hunters hit him with 20 of those and 20 unbanded greycliffs if I remember right and Glen had to bomb the entire state to flush out who the hunters were.
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    Both the 68' and 32' are great smokes. I have a first release box the of the 32' and love them.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    *Petey*:
    MTuccelli:
    The Sniper:

LOL, yup, that was Glen, and that was a great thread to read too. hahaha, the sniper hunters hit him with 20 of those and 20 unbanded greycliffs if I remember right and Glen had to bomb the entire state to flush out who the hunters were.
    You scamps dont forget anything around here do you? Jeez, a guy bombs an entire state... LOL

• Hmm alright. Well I guess I probably should just start trying things before I come up with an opinion about them huh? Haha
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Padilla, at least until recently, was my favorite brand, but now they're blowing up everything I love. The Series 68' is my favorite smoke, and I really love the Habano and 1932 as well. The single batch is (or was rather) a good smoke to be had on the cheap. I suppose it's time to get some research done and get familiar with Corojo offerings from other brands.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the Miami and Miami oscuro. With that said they do have some construction issues that can be very disappointing!! But they do taste pretty darn good!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

Ha! you got that right!
    Just a question but isn't obsidian made by pdr and not Padilla??
    Money can't buy taste
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    Padilla, at least until recently, was my favorite brand, but now they're blowing up everything I love. The Series 68' is my favorite smoke, and I really love the Habano and 1932 as well. The single batch is (or was rather) a good smoke to be had on the cheap. I suppose it's time to get some research done and get familiar with Corojo offerings from other brands.
    Jason you might want to try the Hybrid and the Achilles before giving up on them having a good stick on the cheap. I do agree with you about them blowing everything up. I too love the 68 and the Artisan (which I can't seem to find anymore). To bad cause that was a kick butt smoke.

• crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Yes,Obsidian is a Pinar Del Rio cigar.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

Ha! you got that right!
    There is/was a padilla obsidian as well. I don't know if it was sold on its own, but its in the padilla commemorative sampler.
    asianbiker8:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

Ha! you got that right!
    There is/was a padilla obsidian as well. I don't know if it was sold on its own, but its in the padilla commemorative sampler.
    The Padilla Obsidian was sold on its own for quite a while. It wasn't a terrible cigar, like SWAG, just disappointing. It looked good, felt good in the hand, burned well, and provided little to no flavor. Very strange. I bought a sampler after my first one, if I recall correctly, thinking I must have gotten a dud, or it needed resting or something like that. No such luck. It was really surprising to me, since I liked so many of Padilla's other cigars.

The new Obsidian, by PDR, is awesome. It was a little scary to try, though, with that name on it.

MTuccelli:
    JudoChinX:
    Jason you might want to try the Hybrid and the Achilles before giving up on them having a good stick on the cheap. I do agree with you about them blowing everything up. I too love the 68 and the Artisan (which I can't seem to find anymore). To bad cause that was a kick butt smoke.

It's been a while since I've had an Achilles, and though I have some on hand, I've never tried the Hybrid. This evening I'll smoke the Hybrid. Thanks for the advice MTuccelli! Good to see you around the boards.

Obviously I don't like change, but the fact is, Padilla has made me a fan before, and I'm certain they'll continue surprising me in the future.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had some great Padillas. The Habano, Dominous, Miami, and I just lOve the black bear.
    JudoChinX:
    MTuccelli:
    JudoChinX:

It's been a while since I've had an Achilles, and though I have some on hand, I've never tried the Hybrid. This evening I'll smoke the Hybrid. Thanks for the advice MTuccelli! Good to see you around the boards.

Obviously I don't like change, but the fact is, Padilla has made me a fan before, and I'm certain they'll continue surprising me in the future.
    Well, I gave the Hybrid a shot, and I'm not too sure this is the smoke for me. The cold draw was interesting: a strong toffee with light mocha flavor, but after lighting, it all went downhill. The smoke had a strange, almost sour bite to it. This has been in my humi since November, so I don't think rest is an issue at this point. I'm planning on giving the Achilles another shot today.